Any Beginner's Bundle Suggestions?

2»

Comments

• zombiewhackerzombiewhacker Posts: 680
    edited December 1969

Thanks again to everybody for the great responses.

Where is the Age of Armor Lights product page though? I can't seem to find it through the site search.

• Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
    edited November 2014

Where is the Age of Armor Lights product page though? I can't seem to find it through the site search.
    Here's the link to the bundle: http://www.daz3d.com/age-of-armour/advanced-daz-studio-light-bundle
    Post edited by Atticus Bones on
    edited December 1969

Another question regarding lights:

I've been thinking of picking up the Carrara Pro bundle, especially since it's currently on sale. But if I add Carrara to my list of goodies, do I really need to purchase additional lighting bundles for DAZ studio at all?

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Another question regarding lights:

I've been thinking of picking up the Carrara Pro bundle, especially since it's currently on sale. But if I add Carrara to my list of goodies, do I really need to purchase additional lighting bundles for DAZ studio at all?

Answer could be yes or no, depending on whether you find out you love or hate using Carrara :) It's not as simple as saying 'hey Carrara does much more than Studio, so obviously I'll want to do all my stuff in Carrara'. The user interfaces are different from each other, Carrara was originally created by another company and then purchased by Daz, so the designs of where things are is different, and if you're absolutely in love where the different controls are in Studio, you might find you don't like using Carrara. For what it's worth though, the Carrara forums here at Daz are extremely active, and there are lots of us Carrarists always willing to answer questions and give advice and tips if needed.

Personally I am much more comfortable in Carrara than Studio, but that's all subjective. But yes, if you switched to using Carrara as your app of choice, you wouldn't have much use for the Studio lightsets.

Of course I may have misunderstood, and you could be purchasing the Carrara pro simply for the content (it comes with the V5 pro and M5 pro bundles as part of it, after all), in which case my answer is kind of irrelevant :)

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:

Of course I may have misunderstood, and you could be purchasing the Carrara pro simply for the content (it comes with the V5 pro and M5 pro bundles as part of it, after all), in which case my answer is kind of irrelevant :)

No, you're right on the money. The V5/M5 bundles are a great enticement, sure, but c'mon, if Carrara offers great features right out of the box, why pay hundreds of dollars for comparable DAZ3D plug-ins? :ohh:

I would see my workflow as going something like this:

DAZ Studio for creating scene presets (posing, adding clothing, injecting morphs, etc.), as well as doing simple animations and general renders;

Carrara for doing more advanced renders and animations -- as well as texturing and painting objects;

Poser 10 (already purchased) for doing anything the other programs can't.

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

For fun, let's assume that your bundle would contain each of the following items:

* hair
    * attire
    * prop
    * set or background
    * lights

and (if desired)

* bonus (any plug-in, filter, or extra you desire)

I can pull all this off with the low price of FREE. This is assuming Genesis 1 though most of this either easily applies to Genesis 2 or has similar options available.

Hair: M4 Short Dreads Hair - Fundamentally different hair type than the Genesis defaults.
    Attire: Aura for Genesis - The base clothing is fanatasy or underwear. This is a generic enough basic outfit that can be either modern or retextured for sci fi.
    Prop: Nerd glasses - As much as the Clark Kent thing gets mocked, people are viewed differently when they have glasses on.
    Set/Background: The Streets - Part 02 - A thoroughly modern set with additional downloads to expand it.
    Lights: Aura Lights Daydream - A nice portrait light.
    Bonus: DieTrying's 182 V4 Morphs for Genesis - An excellent morph set to add options to vary your characters.
    Bonus: Pd-Daz Studio Soft Leather Shaders - Shaders allow you to add a new look to products and this is but one of a great many examples.
    Bonus: Body Talk for Genesis: Arms - Partial arm poses to add a little variance to the base pose sets.