Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 8

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

@Tim those edges look so clean!

Ok so half of my Cube lay out is about 80% done. But I feel like Im running into more questions than I am answering them on my own through trial and error.

Exporting meshs don't seem to work right, and absolutely hates textures. So I'm pretty sure im doing something wrong. I've tried searching out some video tutorials (Ive gone over quite a few of Davids in the past few weeks), but Im just coming up empty handed.

Exporting materials from Bryce? If that is what we are talking about. Well I did look at this, but the only videos that really touch on this topic relate to exporting terrains for rendering in Octane.

The problem I encountered is that most of the materials in Bryce are procedural and exist in 3 dimensions, which is something that is particularly challenging to capture. And if you are going to texture meshes outside Bryce, you really have to go to the trouble of UV mapping them. Which is another can of worms. I've touched upon this topic too, UV mapping in Wings3D. It's challenging. UV layout is a better tool for this, but... it comes at a price and it's not something you can just pick up and use without preferably watching all the UV layouts tutorials (at least twice). So what I'm saying is, you've really got to invest yourself to do this.

So if you can get your geometry out in one piece. And UV map it. Then identify the materials you want to map back onto those surfaces and render them out as 2D sheets at whatever resolution you think you will need and in a paint package chop them up to fit your UV template. Then... after all that, you'll probably need something like Blacksmith 3D to sort out the UV seams. It's all a bit of a trial. And quite specific to whatever it is you are trying to do. So a tricky topic for a tutorial since it would be liable to end up being quite long and span several bits of software.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it is not possible. I'm just saying, as far as I can see, it's all destined to be uphill.

Anyways, Horo's been busy and done an amazing job of combing his flames with some gas clouds. So I've sent my probe off into the void to investigate.

The second formation looks a bit sinister. I wonder if the stars are right and the Great Old Ones are returning to enslave the human race? Again...

tst2.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 368K
    tst1.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 430K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,392
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo and Jay

Tim – nice heart , the mountains are awesome..

Jay - nice render very apt.

Sandy- I also see faces in mountains, clouds, rocks and stones, do we every outgrow our childhood?

DaemonKnight – interesting scene

David – love the space scenes.

Experimenting with Anisotropy using Horo Wernli’s http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/Anisotropy.pdf

anisotropy3.jpg
    700 x 525 - 32K
    anisotropy2.jpg
    800 x 506 - 30K
    anisotropy1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 22K
    edited December 1969

Experimenting with Anisotropy using Horo Wernli’s http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/Anisotropy.pdf

Very interesting results. In particular on the three cornered thing in the foreground.

More testing of Horo's HDRI mixes, results look very promising to me.

tst7.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 587K
    tst6.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 404K
    tst5.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 348K
    tst4.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 387K
    tst3.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 428K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

@Tim those edges look so clean!

Ok so half of my Cube lay out is about 80% done. But I feel like Im running into more questions than I am answering them on my own through trial and error.

Exporting meshs don't seem to work right, and absolutely hates textures. So I'm pretty sure im doing something wrong. I've tried searching out some video tutorials (Ive gone over quite a few of Davids in the past few weeks), but Im just coming up empty handed.

Exporting materials from Bryce? If that is what we are talking about. Well I did look at this, but the only videos that really touch on this topic relate to exporting terrains for rendering in Octane.

The problem I encountered is that most of the materials in Bryce are procedural and exist in 3 dimensions, which is something that is particularly challenging to capture. And if you are going to texture meshes outside Bryce, you really have to go to the trouble of UV mapping them. Which is another can of worms. I've touched upon this topic too, UV mapping in Wings3D. It's challenging. UV layout is a better tool for this, but... it comes at a price and it's not something you can just pick up and use without preferably watching all the UV layouts tutorials (at least twice). So what I'm saying is, you've really got to invest yourself to do this.

So if you can get your geometry out in one piece. And UV map it. Then identify the materials you want to map back onto those surfaces and render them out as 2D sheets at whatever resolution you think you will need and in a paint package chop them up to fit your UV template. Then... after all that, you'll probably need something like Blacksmith 3D to sort out the UV seams. It's all a bit of a trial. And quite specific to whatever it is you are trying to do. So a tricky topic for a tutorial since it would be liable to end up being quite long and span several bits of software.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it is not possible. I'm just saying, as far as I can see, it's all destined to be uphill.

Anyways, Horo's been busy and done an amazing job of combing his flames with some gas clouds. So I've sent my probe off into the void to investigate.

The second formation looks a bit sinister. I wonder if the stars are right and the Great Old Ones are returning to enslave the human race? Again...

Getting Bryce to play nicely with the rest of the CG industry is essential to me. People having problems using content created in Bryce means Bryce doesnt get to play when the time for "real work" comes along, which is unfortunate.

Simply put, Bryce has a lot to offer but it needs to work on making itself more attractive to content creators. To dot hat, Bryce has got to start dealing with UV mapping in some form or fashion.

My request is for a two fold feature...

*Automatic UV: At least the main basic types, Planar, Box, Spherical, Cylinder...etc. Bryce would automatically convert models with no UV's into one of these two modes if needed. These modes are basic enough without getting too specific.

*Texture Baking: Once a model has UV's either natively or Bryce assigned, there is now a template for automatically baking the procedural textures onto the template. Each polygon would be rendered as if viewed directly upon the surface normal at 90 degrees. Resolution would need to be established by the user, as well as options for map outputs such as diffuse, specular, bump etc.. The lighting for the texture baking might be adjustable as well. Just how long it would take to render out a procedural texture at a decent resolution is unknown, but it probably wouldn't be too bad since it would be the simplest of lighting involved and there would be no scene elements to complicate the texture rendering. It would all occur in an ideal vacuum.

In the next dev cycle I will ask for this strongly and hopefully now there is enough support and calls for some form of UV mapping within Bryce.

Thing is, as David points out, Bryce has some seriously awesome mapping modes, which, if we could actually manage to export those textures, could give Bryce an upper hand no other software can beat. One great example is World Cubic. This is ideal for bricks and other types of textures where you need perfect scaling over models of any shape and size, based on world coordinates. Object Cubic is similar, but it uses object coordinates. World Cubic is almost always the better of the two I find. Anyhow, you can take a sphere, a cube, a prism, and apply World Cubic and the texture will apply itself with perfectly even scaling no matter how twisted and irregular the geometry.

When you are making a skin textures from scratch for example, one of the biggest issues is drawing the texture at a consistent resolution and detail over the entire surface of the model. If Bryce could allow the user to apply a leatherette material, and then bake it onto the UV map at the scale the user chooses as world cubic mapping, one could literally create a seamless skin for an entire human character without concern for gaps in seams or other issues with the patterns.

I really really really want this feature. Hoping!

• SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited January 2015

Well For some time now I have had problems with memory and crashes in Bryce for over a week I tried all sorts of ways to get Daz to send via the bridge and export a model seen in the image I have uploaded without success.

So I went on youtube to find the go to man David Brinnen and found this little tutorial on Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - large address aware - a short video by David Brinnen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DyWtdR6cys.

I am happy to say it worked the image I rendered has 6 objects and 673223 polygones hell no wonder Bryce was having heart failure.

I also got rid of all my outdated files and created a new file on an external hard drive and exported all my images, I regained a 100GB Bryce is very happy and so am I thanks David

Radom_distonection._.jpg
    1268 x 845 - 66K
    Post edited by Sylverdali on
  • Old StuffOld Stuff Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

Not entirely. (Unless there is a fool proof way to do it from Bryce to Unity3D) I don't mind a work flow that would exclude texturing in Bryce, in fact, I think I assumed that would be too much of an involved process. But jsut getting the mesh itself (from terrain or converted grouped shapes) out in a way that would assure a smooth UV transition (say from UV into where i would eventually want it to be, which is in Unity3D) would be perfect for me. I can breath photoshop. And I plan on making all my textures from scratch, these renderings are really just me getting the idea out of my head, and working out scale and functionality at the same time.

I did check out the tut you mentioned until it became irrelevant once getting into the node stuff for mapping textures back into Octane, it was realyl helpful, as well as the differances in resolution when selecting converteds. That was super super helpful.

The way Bryce handles textures is unique and just damned intuitive, I think that's why I assumed it was one of those qualities (though sadly) I would have to drop because its propitaryness in the way it handles it etc. UV mapping I'm familiar with, using old Poser 4. I would make my own skin textures for the UV maps for Vicky4 and Mike4 etc. So you kinda needed to understand separate bump and spectral maps etc, and how to make from scratch. But these were UV that were premade. So other than going to UV Classic and trying to get UV map out of it, in the same context you could over lay textures on Victorias map and have the mesh and textures seam nicely, I get broken polygons and not UV mapping, which lead me to something Im likely not doing right, either in the main creation of the mesh before converting,or somewhere after. Ill add an example here of a portion of the desk, which was my first attempt at a model in Bryce. I havent checked out the UV mapping in Wings3D video yet..but you can imagine what Ill be watching soon as Im done posting :)

the bryce file itself can be checked out here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8rER7cQFMi5WjZTQi13NXdidjQ/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the names of those, that's very helpful as well. Some are a bit expensive, but that seems to be the trade off, one that Im ok with, as long as i can get results in somewhat timely fashion.

bed.PNG
    991 x 627 - 348K
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Definitely achieving some great looking fantasy space nebulosity effects.

edited December 1969

Definitely achieving some great looking fantasy space nebulosity effects.

Thanks Peter, well you know I was brought up cowering behind the sofa in fear of the rubber aliens in Space 1999... I can't help wanting to recreate some slightly over the top space scenes.

The last one, now with added flame!

maybe_main.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 930K
    Popup_c.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 588K
    Popup_k.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 935K
    Popup_r.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 681K
    Popup_a.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 634K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,542
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - I'm fascinated by the simple forms. Very nicely presented, the cube as well.

@silverdali - nice lady. Glad you could make it work with LAA. If you ever need more information about it and how you can reliably see how much memory Bryce (or any running program) actually uses, check out the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDZmETVO15c - Bryce Memory Shortage and what you can do about it.

Below an "Ammonite" made in Structure Synth and rendered in the light of a specular convolved HDRI using IBL specular and anisotropy.

Ammonite.jpg
    800 x 600 - 85K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,105
    edited December 1969

Some really nice renders coming through. Keep it up.

Following David's space theme I had a few .jpg images which I changed to HDR's in Photoshop.

This is the Butterfly Nebulae with two planets from the Bryce library and a space ship from DAZ Studio. I usually 'send to Bryce' with models but after reading a few things here about it not working properly I tried exporting as an object and importing it into Bryce. It wouldn't work. The memory kept going up until it got to 800 MB and Bryce crashed every time, even with LAA running. I went back to 'send to Bryce', saved it as an object and it loads fine, go figure :-)

returning-home-002.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 290K
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,347
    edited December 1969

I'm still enjoying playing with abstracts - here is my latest (but possibly last, as I should move on...) attempt.
    This is the 16-12 Torus Knotted Strips object from one of David's Wings3D tutorials with a chrome material on one half and polished bronze on the other half, sitting inside the reflective box from the Abstract 360 HDRI Specular Effect tutorial.

Torus-in-360-HDRI-Specular-Box.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 522K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Regarding my absence: Sorry, I haven't got a note from my parents...

Pages and pages of great renders from everyone... :cheese:

Here's my latest... Called: Enter da Dwagon

EnterDragon.jpg
    960 x 540 - 372K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Regarding my absence: Sorry, I haven't got a note from my parents...

Pages and pages of great renders from everyone... :cheese:

Here's my latest... Called: Enter da Dwagon

Weally nice work, David. The dwagon looks gweat indeed and the computer keyboard looks vewy wealistic, especially the gwey and red colored pwastics.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

Weally nice work, David. The dwagon looks gweat indeed and the computer keyboard looks vewy wealistic, especially the gwey and red colored pwastics.

HAHAHA ....to funny :D

edited December 1969

here is a pretty rough render for the 007 fans out there like myself :)

007_PPK.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 306K
  • IkyotoIkyoto Posts: 1,159
    edited December 1969

I'm not that good, therefore you all suck.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Sandy: Mountains and space scene are really nice. Like Horo I like the first mountain scene best.

@David: Great looking space scene results. Colors are marvelous.

@Horo: Wonderful space scenes, and great Ammonite.

@DaemonKnight: Metal panel and first scene are really nice. Box object is also nice.

@hansmar: Love the blobs. They have a glass like look.

@electro: Real good looking house.

@charliemcd: Nice scene.

@mermaid: Bowl is really nice looking, as is the other object.

@Tim: Heart objects is really pretty. Scene with Buddha is lovely. 007 is wonderful.

@Jay: Cell phone scene looks about right, though I've never encountered the "bumped into" yet.

@silverdali: Beautiful woman in that scene.

@melanie: Love the abstract, really colorful. Hope you keep abstracts coming, they're all real nice.

@Dave: What a wonderful image. Keyboard and your dragon are great looking.

@Rashad: Hahaha, Elmer Fudd time I see.

edited December 1969

I really love the look of these old style jaguar's :)

Jag.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 281K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Cheers, Guss...I've escaped near bumps.

Below, the latest work...'Amber-Jurassica'

Jay

Amber.jpg
    1382 x 682 - 679K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis: thanks! Nice house.

@charliemcd2010: wonderfully dressed lady. Hope she doesn't hurt herselve: that armour looks to be sturdy and quick to give the bearer ugly bruises.

@mermaid010: Oh, but that is not debris; those are aliens! And: nice experiments with anisotropy.

@Tim Bateman: nice pendulum. would have benefited from a bit more light on it to bring out the sparkle in the stones, I think. Buddha scene looks very good. And the Walther PPK too. Fits nicely to the kind of guy that would drive that car.

@Jamahoney: Funny and so realistic with the phones. And wonderful POV on the insect in harn.

@Horo: thanks for comment and explanation. Wonderful amonite render!

@DaemonKnight: real cool scene you are making!

@David Brinnen: Wow: wonderful collection of new horizons in space. You really make lots of beautiful, sometimes menacing space scenes!

@Rashad Carter: a new development cycle of Bryce, wouldn't that be wonderful! Perhaps, someday, when we are old and toothless?

@silverdali: nice to see you back in the forum. What a wonderful dress that lady is wearing.

@Fishtales: Cool space scene. I like the set-up with the ship just entering the view.

MelanieL: Why would you get bored of abstracts? Maybe just do something else and then return with new ideas to the abstracts? Your last one is wonderful.

@TheSavage64: Gweat title fow vewy nice wender!

GussNemo: thanks. I like that aspect too.

With my last abstract, based on metaballs, I already moved back towards strange creatures. Made me remember Uilenspiegel. He was an artist who had quite some very nice strange worlds with strange creatures in the former Galleries of the DAZ site. I really loved his work, but haven't seen any of him anymore. Does anyone know where he has gone with his work?

So I thought to try and honour him by doing something similar. But, it turned out totally different! OK some strange creatures, but not in the type of multiple robotic environment he used to create. Not sure whether they are having a race or whether the 'birds' with the flumsy legs are close to being eaten by the 'shark'. First I made a more realistic terrain, but that did not fit with the highly plastic and unreal look of the creatures. Therefore a more unreal landscape too,

I call it: Run!

animal7.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 534K
    edited January 2015

Cheers, Hansmar...and love the fun posed in your work above (btw, don't know if this is of use re: Uilenspiegel, however, this site here might be his).

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Jay. And indeed, that's the guy! Look at those wonderful worlds full of mechanical creatures! I'll drop in and see whether he is active elsewhere. We could use his visions in this forum as well, I think.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,347
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - thank you very much for your comments
    @hansmar - ooh, no, I'm not bored with doing abstracts, just afraid of boring everyone else if I keep posting them...! And I like your "flumsy legged birds"
    @Tim Bateman - car looks nice (so did the gun)
    @Jamahoney - that ambered insect is really neat

edited January 2015

Thanks, MelanieL ;)...have seen, and held once in my hand, an actual example with insect inside...very cool.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

@Sandy - nice space scene.

@MelanieL - interesting abstract.

@Dave - cute.

@Tim - looking good, 007 and Jaguar.

@Jamie - thank you.

@Jay - great idea with the succinit and the fly in it.

@hansmar - thank you. An interesting render.

edited December 1969

im seeing some brilliant renders, awesome work! :)

@ Horo, thank's :)

here is something from me for today :) ...i was doing some test renders using HDRI specularity, this was my the one i liked the best so i thought i would share :)

Buda.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 218K
    edited December 1969

I have know idea why, I just thought it would look pretty cool :)

Ant.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 205K
    edited January 2015

Thanks David, Horo, Guss and Hansmar

David: Great looking space scene renders, love them.

Silverdali: Beautiful render,

DaemonKnight: The box object is nice.

Horo: Awesome Ammonite.render

Sandy: Great space render.

Melanie: Lovely abstract, I also revisited David’s 360Hdri tutorial.

Tim: All your renders are awesome, with nice lighting

Jay: Awesome render with the insect.

Dave: Wonderful render, the keyboard is awesome.

Hansmar: Interesting render, like a painting. You have awesome work on Deviantart.

An abstract using David’s Bryce Abstract 360 HDRI Specular effect to set up this abstract and an Hdri from the Hdri4fun pack. I like the textured look of this render.

abstract360hdri2.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 243K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited January 2015

@Tim - Buddha looks great, the ant is fantastic.

@mermaid010 - thank you. The monochrome abstract looks great, could be something snowy.

I used a fractal created in Structure Synth to make a symmetrical lattice, and an HDRI for the light and backdrop. I intended it for the challenge but I'm not completely happy with the "snowflake", so I show it here. I had worked on this for many hours and it rendered in 3 minutes.

Fractal.jpg
    800 x 800 - 235K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo, Your render is beautiful. You should enter it in the challenge.

Some space scenes, the second is an attempt at The "magical" space compression lens system - by David Brinnen

magicalspacelens1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 47K
    space3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 38K
This discussion has been closed.