Does dForce hair work with Unreal?

I've spent half the day searching for a tutorial or a solution, but can't find one. Is there a way to use dforce hairs and strand-based elements in unreal engine? When I used the bridge I only get the character, not the hair. Is there something I need to do first? Does anyone have a link to documentation. Sorry if it's an obvious answer, I've just spent way too long trying to figure this out.

Thanks all!

Comments

• DAZ_samDAZ_sam Posts: 170

kremath said:

I've spent half the day searching for a tutorial or a solution, but can't find one. Is there a way to use dforce hairs and strand-based elements in unreal engine? When I used the bridge I only get the character, not the hair. Is there something I need to do first? Does anyone have a link to documentation. Sorry if it's an obvious answer, I've just spent way too long trying to figure this out.

Thanks all!

Strand hair can not come out of Daz Studio natively at this moment. 

• DAZ_samDAZ_sam Posts: 170

kremath said:

Thanks all!

Strand hair can not come out of Daz Studio natively at this moment. 

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

kremath said:

Thanks all!

here you can find a more precise list about what work and what don't work outside daz(not only on unreal), due to daz itself.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/432206/daz-to-unreal-guide-for-newcomers-the-famous-before-your-buy-or-limitations/p1 ;

• There is a trick for exporting strand based hair as geometry (not as a groom), but it's very iffy.  You need to set PR Preview Hairs to On and simulate the hair.  Then maybe it will export.  Some people have reported success after playing with other settings as well.  It's not at all supported though.

• ah I never tried simulating it

• Take a look at this.

• Strand hair is light enought to use a cloth sim.

• JoJo Posts: 17

This drove me crazy for ages, I wanted to get strand hair out of daz and into unreal.

Solution that worked for me:

Strand hair can be exported via the third party diffeomorphic plugin that sends daz characters to blender.

In that plugin, the hair is converted to particle hair. The instructions for this are on the authors site.

It takes only a few clicks and in my case a long 2 hours wait, where it seemed like blender had crashed.

Then from blender, The particle hair can be exported as alembic file, then imported into unreal (with Groom alembic input plugin enabled)

as Groom hair. From there bind to your importated DAZ skeletal mesh, setup materials, enable simulation and done.

• Jo said:

This drove me crazy for ages, I wanted to get strand hair out of daz and into unreal.

Solution that worked for me:

Strand hair can be exported via the third party diffeomorphic plugin that sends daz characters to blender.

In that plugin, the hair is converted to particle hair. The instructions for this are on the authors site.

It takes only a few clicks and in my case a long 2 hours wait, where it seemed like blender had crashed.

Then from blender, The particle hair can be exported as alembic file, then imported into unreal (with Groom alembic input plugin enabled)

as Groom hair. From there bind to your importated DAZ skeletal mesh, setup materials, enable simulation and done.

Hey eventually i did the same way. But i've got on problem with that. In DAZ and render the hair's scalp is invisible but if i import it into unreal the scalp is visible. Do you know any solution?