if you are getting crummy looking meshes for cloth sim, read on...

For the past few weeks, I've been struggling to get a good cloth sim in UE with meshitup's Kaftan, when exporting thru the daz to unreal plugin, no matter what settings I tried to use, it would export like this (seen in Studio)   which when imported into UE and converted to tri's, would result in a really ugly mesh for cloth sim

I went and tested a few things, and came upon the conclusion that a combination of the character morphs was probably causing this, because when looking at the Kaftan by itself and exporting it out by itself, it didn't exhibit this issue.  So after tooling around in the forums, I found this post https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/51343/baking-smoothed-clothing-into-figure, where Richard Haseltine gives a little response on how to bake in smoothing by exporting the piece as an obj, and bringing it back as a morph. (Thank you Richard!)  The post was about Blender, but hmm.. could it work with UE?  It does!  Make sure you read the response afterwards too, because that is important.

So I did this, cranked up the smoothing, hid everthing but the kaftan, exported it out as an obj and brought back in as a morph  I set it to 100, then used the Unreal plugin to export the clothed character (I checked the box to open the fbx dialog to make sure that the morph was being baked)

the result?  this nice tri mesh for cloth sim   I'm still struggling with the sleeves, but the rest looks fantastic.

This might help someone else, which is why I'm posting this

Thanks!

mesh_ugly.png
823 x 950 - 522K
mesh_import.png
572 x 860 - 553K