I Don't Buy Standalone House Rooms Anymore

2»

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

certaintree38 said:

Frinkky said:

I'd throw down a wedge of cash for a well-thought out contemporary house. When I say contemporary, I don't mean another post-modern marble-infused rich person's pad, I mean a regular house for a regular working schmuck, set in the last 20 years or so.

They could slash the vram overhead of their products, and make customisation easier, by just including basic tiling textures and group surfaces into related surface selections (eg. all door handles as one group, all master bedroom walls in another - see G8 'skin' surface group as an example). Surface specific detail/grunge can be added using decals and/or diffuse overlay, and/or geometry (see how Roguey added wall marks around lightswitches etc in the Euro Apartment). 

This!

+1 

edited March 2021

Frinkky said:

There's a great set over on the other site that unfortunately falls foul to this. With just the house loaded in, the vram usage from textures alone is 20gb (conversely the geometry vram usage is just 22.5mb!). You'd be lucky to render it and 1 G8 on a 3090.

I think I know which one you are talking about... It is a truly great set, but it is a shame how the UV-mapping and texturing makes it completely useless (for no benefit) unless you have a super computer with an Nvidia GPU that has 100+ GB:s of VRAM...

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • So can anyone give me a proper example of how to make this work? I understand what the OP is asking and I also understand how that can become a problem. I'm trying to find a solution for a family of 6 and so far it's difficult. Should I just mix and match? If so, how do I make it look realistic?

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744

cardinalsinnerxxx said:

So can anyone give me a proper example of how to make this work? I understand what the OP is asking and I also understand how that can become a problem. I'm trying to find a solution for a family of 6 and so far it's difficult. Should I just mix and match? If so, how do I make it look realistic?

It needs furnishings  but this dwelling will certainly provide housing for family of 6

https://www.daz3d.com/collective3d-long-island-mansion

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375
    Quality over quantity yall
  • MidnightProphetsMidnightProphets Posts: 46
    edited January 2023

FirstBastion said:

cardinalsinnerxxx said:

So can anyone give me a proper example of how to make this work? I understand what the OP is asking and I also understand how that can become a problem. I'm trying to find a solution for a family of 6 and so far it's difficult. Should I just mix and match? If so, how do I make it look realistic?

It needs furnishings  but this dwelling will certainly provide housing for family of 6

https://www.daz3d.com/collective3d-long-island-mansion

Thanks, this looks good, actually.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • lilweep said:

What do you mean?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,877

Harwood House is pretty great, too.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,500
    edited January 2023

"Quality over Quantity": What I take that to mean is:

1. Realistic rooms for the house size. You expect a kitchen, toilet, bathroom, dining room, study, living room, stair case/lift, bedrooms as appropriate for the model being created. You would not expect a 2 storey house to be without some means of going from floor to floor, or somewhere to wash.
    2. To be reasonably historically accurate if being aimed at a particular era.
    3. Doors in every room (unbelievably there are models of rooms in the store with no doors.and no door apertures, you teleport into the room)
    4. Doors that are rigged.
    5. Rigged door handles if appropriate (no need with knobs)
    6. Windows, preferably rigged.
    7. Toilet seats that are rigged (There are many toilet seats that cannot be lifted in the store)
    8. Toilet flush handles that are rigged.
    9. Light switches, power sockets & plumbing (that could be hidden for an appropriate era) to be present.
    10. Correctly proportioned rooms.
    11. Architraves, skirting boards, dado rails, wainscot boards and picture rails if appropriate.
    12. Era Appropriate room lighting fixtures.
    13. Appropriate fireplaces.
    14. Built-in cupboards and rigged doors where appropriate.

So that's what I regard as good quality. The list below extends 'good' to 'great'

1. Walls & ceilings that can be hidden with caps over open edges caused by hiding walls or ceilings. 
    2. A number of built in camera positions
    3. Alternative decoration schemes.
    4. Basic fit furniture.
    5. Alternative lighting schemes.
    6. Water in the plumbing fixtures (eg in the U bend, in the bath, in the shower & sink and taps that can be running).

That's my definition of what I regard as good quality & great quality. YMMV.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • RuthvenRuthven Posts: 637

richardandtracy said:

"Quality over Quantity": What I take that to mean is:

1. Realistic rooms for the house size. You expect a kitchen, toilet, bathroom, dining room, study, living room, stair case/lift, bedrooms as appropriate for the model being created. You would not expect a 2 storey house to be without some means of going from floor to floor, or somewhere to wash.
    2. To be reasonably historically accurate if being aimed at a particular era.
    3. Doors in every room (unbelievably there are models of rooms in the store with no doors.and no door apertures, you teleport into the room)
    4. Doors that are rigged.
    5. Rigged door handles if appropriate (no need with knobs)
    6. Windows, preferably rigged.
    7. Toilet seats that are rigged (There are many toilet seats that cannot be lifted in the store)
    8. Toilet flush handles that are rigged.
    9. Light switches, power sockets & plumbing (that could be hidden for an appropriate era) to be present.
    10. Correctly proportioned rooms.
    11. Architraves, skirting boards, dado rails, wainscot boards and picture rails if appropriate.
    12. Era Appropriate room lighting fixtures.
    13. Appropriate fireplaces.
    14. Built-in cupboards and rigged doors where appropriate.

So that's what I regard as good quality. The list below extends 'good' to 'great'

1. Walls & ceilings that can be hidden with caps over open edges caused by hiding walls or ceilings. 
    2. A number of built in camera positions
    3. Alternative decoration schemes.
    4. Basic fit furniture.
    5. Alternative lighting schemes.
    6. Water in the plumbing fixtures (eg in the U bend, in the bath, in the shower & sink and taps that can be running).

That's my definition of what I regard as good quality & great quality. YMMV.

Regards,

Richard

Bathrooms including a bidet, please.

• ?!? Not something I have come across in any house I've lived in. Oh, sorry, I forgot there was one in my first house. The fountain sprayed on the ceiling light and my face 2 days after I moved in, and I removed it as fast as I could. Had it for less than a month. I'd tend to suggest 'optional' for their presence, then. Regards, Richard.

We have the handheld shower next to the toilet for that, no need to waste space with a pidet

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744

Bidets? 

I was a building renovator for 25 years,  and only came across two bidets in the thousands of homes renovated.  Popular in magazines,  less common in the real world.  Atleast in Canadian portion of North America.

• Yeah, living in the UK, they're not very common in my experience. An aunt had one in every washroom, but her house was unusual (6 bathrooms, 7 baths [the master bathroom had a single bath on one side and a double on the other] and a further three washrooms scattered about the house - I did wonder if she had a weak bladder given how close every room in the place was to several loo's ;). ) . Regards, Richard.
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,030

Only bidet I lived with was in a Greek flat in Glyfada, south of Athens Greece. Had a rusty drain. I piled my toddler's bath toys in it. 

@richardandtracy, I love your list and totally endorse it.

I hope the OP is watching the PA 3DStyle. They have released one house already, and now releasing another.

Mary

Here in Italy bidets are considered a normal feature in bathrooms; we love having our intimacies - and feet - washed very often, even if you don't need a whole shower. We think of it as igiene, not masturbation. People not doing it are considered dirty, and home bathrooms missing bidets are looked at as slums

edited January 2023

Ruthven said:

Here in Italy bidets are considered a normal feature in bathrooms; we love having our intimacies - and feet - washed very often, even if you don't need a whole shower. We think of it as igiene, not masturbation. People not doing it are considered dirty, and home bathrooms missing bidets are looked at as slums

One doesn't need a bidet for that, this does the same job without taking the floor space 

WC_Suihku.JPG
    612 x 398 - 29K
    Post edited by PerttiA on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375

lilweep said:

What do you mean?

A big house that is of poor quality is kind of useless. If given the choice of a big ugly house vs a nice quality vignette I personally would choose the latter. Of course a big house of good quality would be preferable, like anything by strangefate. Harwood house is just one of many examples where they skimped on quality and details in order to deliver a large environment.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,036

I started using a small watering can during the toilet paper hoarding crisis

found it cured my eczema so still do

edited January 2023

PerttiA said:

Ruthven said:

One doesn't need a bidet for that, this does the same job without taking the floor space 

The point is being able to get washed; this is a system (though I think I wouldn't find it too much comfortable, but I guess it's a matter of getting used to it), but in the offered models usually it's lacking, too. Anyway, without a bidet you couldn't believely set a bath environment in this zone of Europe. I'll have to go on kitbashing with the few ones available...

Edited to add question: in this picture, the soap dispenser is the white vertical box? Or is it for the toilet paper? Because getting washed is only half-way if you don't do it with soap, seems to me.

Post edited by Ruthven on

Ruthven said:

Edited to add question: in this picture, the soap dispenser is the white vertical box? Or is it for the toilet paper? Because getting washed is only half-way if you don't do it with soap, seems to me.

The dispencer is for toilet paper, not really a model found in private homes. The soap is usually in the indentation at the corner of the sink, either in a bottle or a bar. 

Up here (Finland), I don't remember ever having seen a bidet in a private home, seen a few in some public ones.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975
    edited January 2023

So what about "Room Creator 2" by maclean ,then just create your own interiors ,to match your storey ,save as scene subsets to be reused  ,and use Shaders to change looks ..

https://www.daz3d.com/room-creator-version-2

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • generalgameplayinggeneralgameplaying Posts: 517
    edited January 2023

Similar here, though i may have other fields of application.

I'd rather buy full houses, though i do also sometimes take just anything.

My suggestion to DAZ would be to establish a standard for rooms and houses. This is ad-hoc, it needs some elaboration and more deep thought.

The idea is, that you have standard sizes for rooms, but also a definition and blueprints for interfacing to certain concepts of houses. Same for whole house interior. Could extend to spaceships, passenger trains, ships what not.

There may be many blueprints, and vendors might pose a blueprint, buyable then for an incentive, but it needs to be updated, so in worst case by DAZ in person ;p, or another vendor being contracted, will force it getting updated, if the vendor isn't available, with some kind of systematic on how shares work on that, and in rare cases redoing a fix/update, if the original vendor was just taken out temporarily. 

Of course interiors (+blueprints) need to work independently of the exterior blueprint/s (or may be identical in some cases, in terms of the model providing both). Similar for rooms vs. interior blueprint (independently usable, even if buying a whole house interior.

This way you could provide single rooms, that more or less perfectly fit into larger concepts, whenever needed. (Would be nice to have: concept fit for adapting to computer games /quickly too.)

Post edited by generalgameplaying on
  • Frinkky said:

I'd throw down a wedge of cash for a well-thought out contemporary house. When I say contemporary, I don't mean another post-modern marble-infused rich person's pad, I mean a regular house for a regular working schmuck, set in the last 20 years or so. Roguey's apartment, from what I've seen of it is great, although some of the decorative items are somewhat... eclectic (gnomes everywhere!).

+2

Also, it would be awesome if we could just have the exterior of the house (for the shots done while outside) and then be able to add certain portions instead of everything. Such as the hallway from the front door, or looking into the house from the pool in the backyard. No need for bathrooms or bedrooms to be loaded in.

I've looked and looked, there are some nearly complete sets of interiors, but not matching what I need. I'm working on a country scene (present time, not in the past or future), no suitable house, I've found some decent rooms with that theme, but not enough to build a "home" with them and have it match. Someone linked that Long Island Mansion and that's probably the one I'm going to have to go with. The others that are closer, are made for one bedroom, not a family. I would love a Ranch or Tudor style home, made for a family of 4. Not these "modern" looking houses that most average people do not live in.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

drew.hopkins1 said:

Also, it would be awesome if we could just have the exterior of the house (for the shots done while outside) and then be able to add certain portions instead of everything. Such as the hallway from the front door, or looking into the house from the pool in the backyard. No need for bathrooms or bedrooms to be loaded in.

I've looked and looked, there are some nearly complete sets of interiors, but not matching what I need. I'm working on a country scene (present time, not in the past or future), no suitable house, I've found some decent rooms with that theme, but not enough to build a "home" with them and have it match. Someone linked that Long Island Mansion and that's probably the one I'm going to have to go with. The others that are closer, are made for one bedroom, not a family. I would love a Ranch or Tudor style home, made for a family of 4. Not these "modern" looking houses that most average people do not live in.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Have you looked at Collective3d's products?
    https://www.daz3d.com/collective3d

Some of them have interior too

• Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,122

cajhin said:

This thread definitely needs a link to Roguey's Euro Style Apartment

https://www.daz3d.com/european-style-apartment

I found it a bit bland at first sight, but was very impressed on closer inspection. The level of detail is amazing, e.g. greasy spots around the light switches, every door and drawer is rigged, and there's so much stuff (objects) in there. With nice lighting it looks very realistic. I've been in these kind of apartments and this set nails it.

Can confirm. I love this set. Everything in it is on point, the plates on the walls as decoration, the shutter pulls, that moka pot on the stove, the front-loading washing machine in the kitchen, the doors, the fusebox, that electric radiator. I live in southern Europe, and this could be any apartment in my city. Just really well done. 

Those Things said:

cajhin said:

I found it a bit bland at first sight, but was very impressed on closer inspection. The level of detail is amazing, e.g. greasy spots around the light switches, every door and drawer is rigged, and there's so much stuff (objects) in there. With nice lighting it looks very realistic. I've been in these kind of apartments and this set nails it.

Can confirm. I love this set. Everything in it is on point, the plates on the walls as decoration, the shutter pulls, that moka pot on the stove, the front-loading washing machine in the kitchen, the doors, the fusebox, that electric radiator. I live in southern Europe, and this could be any apartment in my city. Just really well done. 

And it looks lived in, not like something out of interior decorators promotional magazine or something rendered in CAD 

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,177

cajhin said:

I think this is one of the best environments in the Daz store, love that lived in look.