October Carrara Challenge WIP Thread: Create a pulp magazine cover with Chills, Thrills, & Carrara S

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Oh I think I will keep them :) Even Russians have Ослепительная Истории, в конце концов, они изобрели Спутник :)

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Oh I think I will keep them :) Even Russians have Ослепительная Истории, в конце концов, они изобрели Спутник :)

понятно!

• sukyLsukyL Posts: 251
    edited October 2014

pimpy said:

Hi sukyL,
    I tried the same tutorial but I did not get the result I wanted.
    In an underwater scene I tried it with a spot on the water surface and two shape ligth. the result looks good to me. for the fog in my scene, the distance is less than what you have posted and the color is not black .... the only thing is to try ....
    I have included these images and the setting of the lights and the fog....:)

pimpy Thanks so much for sharing the screen caps and settings of your underwater scene! It looks great and definitely has a very convincing effect of watery depths.

Post edited by sukyL on
  • AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited October 2014

head wax said:

Google translate is getting good, but not entirely correct :). I loved your use of Cyrillics for that very reason (not Google translate getting good, but Russians inventing the Sputnik) - it immediately added the whole new layer of the cold war and the cosmic exploration rivalry, and the real historic references and context to the very fictional publication, publishing fictional stories.

Post edited by Antara on
  • AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited October 2014

Sorry, double post.

Post edited by Antara on
    edited December 1969

pimpy , Antara :) Oh I did a sputnik image a while back and happily found that when I typed in my Cyrillic font that Sputnik came out correctly - very interesting :)

thank you Antara btw - sorry I havent been around, as you said, you blink and the thread has raced off several pages! which is great :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

This month's theme is Rankin and Bass claymation, right? :red:

I'm glad there is still a lot of time left.

aaaa_frustration.jpg
    513 x 513 - 235K
    progress_report_2.jpg
    1480 x 1973 - 104K
    progress_report.jpg
    1480 x 1973 - 157K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

I like that you know where you are going I can easily see this turning out to look like the bottom right pic :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited October 2014

Great stuff. Pimpy, I really like the new cover!

Well, I was hoping to have a completed test render by the time I got home, but one of my network nodes crashed. I didn't lose anything as I could pause the render and re-launch Carrara. Well, actually I did lose something- Time. The render wasn't nearly as far along as I had hoped due to two processors not doing anything.

Here's a partial screen capture of what I have. My only problem is that I must have done something to the astronaut's key light and I don't know what it was. I'm just not happy with the light on his upper torso and skull. I may add a light and restrict it to the skull and upper torso.

I did add the reflected light and I'm pretty happy with it. I also made the little red things on the moss glow and added a bulb to the replicators for them, which is really killing my render time as the moss is Carrara's dynamic hair. I may exclude the hair from the lights and then put a shape light above the moss and restrict it to the hair. One light will render faster than hundreds.

Picture_1.png
    1022 x 746 - 1M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

Well, as I suspected might be the case, the final render is running now ..... again >:(

I found a bit of poke through on the shorts that I had completely missed! Sure, it would be easy to fix with Gimp, but then my whole idea of no post work would be, well, ... a grand idea that didn't work. Of course I could have just left it there, and hoped nobody noticed, but I couldn't do that either.

Soooo.... below is a nearly final render, with the text in it's final position (I hope). I converted all of the text to vertex models to make it easier to "fine tune". I also included a close up image showing the great details in the outfit/shaders. This was captured at greater than 100% scale (about 200%), I really like how Octane Renders scale up so well. This was also the image where I noticed the dreaded poke through!!!

One of the other images below is of the Time Machine rendered in Octane with the materials that came with it ..... yuk!!! It looked just as bad rendered in Carrara. I used some of the shaders from the Octane LiveDB as a starting point for "fixing" the shaders on the time machine.

The other image below is of the current scene set up in Carrara.

Time_Machine_before.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 148K
    Scene_setup3.JPG
    1204 x 883 - 318K
    Final3.jpg
    1546 x 2000 - 721K
    close_up_details.JPG
    981 x 922 - 162K
  • booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

Great stuff. Pimpy, I really like the new cover!

Well, I was hoping to have a completed test render by the time I got home, but one f my network crashed. I didn't lose anything as I could pause the render and re-launch Carrara. Well, actually I did lose something- Time. The render wasn't nearly as far along as I had hoped due to two processors not doing anything.

Here's a partial screen capture of what I have. My only problem is that I must have done something to the astronaut's key light and I don't know what it was. I'm just not happy with the light on his upper torso and skull. I may add a light and restrict it to the skull and upper torso.

I did add the reflected light and I'm pretty happy with it. I also made the little red things on the moss glow and added a bulb to the replicators for them, which is really killing my render time as the moss is Carrara's dynamic hair. I may exclude the hair from the lights and then put a shape light above the moss and restrict it to the hair. One light will render faster than hundreds.

Looking very good! Keep at it.

On the light for the astronaut, I've had that happen to me before as well. I'm wondering if you had a 'point at' modifier set for that light. Sometimes the 'point at' modifier goes wonky on me and stops pointing were I told it to. You might just want to delete that light and replace it with a new one. I've almost pulled my hair out trying to figure out what causes this when it happens.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Hey, I like Rankin and Bass animation. :)

And I never knew Flash Gordon worked for Union Carbide.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Hey, I like Rankin and Bass animation. :)

And I never knew Flash Gordon worked for Union Carbide.

I added a low intensity shape light and restricted it to the skull and head covering, so I'll see what happens. Probably tomorrow as it is way past my bedtime.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

These WiPs are the ToPs

Such detail by everyone... that is a cool time machine dustrider :-)

I've been messing around with this one ... nowhere near completed and may not be but getting it out there anyways..

Made the raygun and remapped, boned and tried to fix up the martian

Keep 'em coming ak ak ak ak

martian_raygun.jpg
    532 x 727 - 47K
    raygun.jpg
    666 x 479 - 42K
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    These WiPs are the ToPs

I've been messing around with this one ... nowhere near completed and may not be but getting it out there anyways..

Love it! The diversity of rayguns and rocketships is tremendous. And that is one cool looking Martian texture.

edited December 1969

Well, I've done about as much damage as I can to my final image, so I'm stopping before it's too late. :)

Hopefully these will all show up in the right order.

The first image is the raw Carrara render. I quite liked it, but I'm never satisfied so off to the postwork factory it went.

In the second image I added a glow effect behind my 'queen' character in Paintshop Pro. I did have a glow attached to a bulb light behind her, but it didn't render, so I added it here. I also added some condensation and escaping air to the broken space helmet to increase the danger to our hero. The plant creature wasn't menacing enough, so I did some reconstructive surgery on him. I especially like the new dental work. I gave the shadows and highlights a bit of help in a few places and I also painted a glow for the two tubes on top of the ray gun. I never saw them until I rendered the final image. I must have tube blindness. :)

The next image shows the result after a trip to Onone software's Perfect Effects. I probably used a dozen filters to get the look I was after.

The fourth image contains the titles. I tried to avoid this step until the very end because I'm usually pretty lousy at titles. It turned out better than I imagined.

The fifth image is another case of 'I just couldn't leave it alone'. I decided I wanted a more antique look, so I headed back to Perfect Effects and ran it through one of its 'vintage' filters to get a more 'aged' look.

I'm not even going to think about doing a second image. One's enough.

carrara_contest_cover_wip_b.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 512K
    carrara_contest_cover_wip_a.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 432K
    carrara_contest_2.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 428K
    carrara_contest_1.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 298K
    carrara_contest_01.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 299K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Stezza said:
    These WiPs are the ToPs

Love it! The diversity of rayguns and rocketships is tremendous. And that is one cool looking Martian texture.

Yes, one cool Martian, and the raygun is a perfect pulp raygun.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the encouragement, Headwax and BooksbyDavid. For the detective, I made the eyes and the hair, did a test render, and freaked out when I realized how much it looked like a character from the Mad Monster Party instead of a pulp figure. Maybe I should step away from that project for a while and return with fresh eyes. Where did I put that alien biker project?

The reason Ming was merciless was because Flash was a pushy salesman.

edited December 1969

That is a beautiful render. One is definitely not enough. We want more, more, more!

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

The reason Ming was merciless was because Flash was a pushy salesman.

:lol:

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

That is a beautiful render. One is definitely not enough. We want more, more, more!

Thanks, but definitely enough...for now. (Heh, heh)

edited December 1969

ha ha books bydavid - you are tukewlforwerds - love it. you did a fine job on the postwork, ads zing just the right amount

edited December 1969

Stezza, if I was a Martian I want to be one of yours - especially of I get a gun like that :)

Dustrider, that's a beautiful clean render

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    ha ha books bydavid - you are tukewlforwerds - love it. you did a fine job on the postwork, ads zing just the right amount

Heh, heh. Thanks. :)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Gosh, you lot have been busy overnight! I only had a quick scan, or I'll be late for work!

I've tweaked mine slightly, changing the shaders on the girl's outfit, and adding a pin spot just to highlight her face better. Oh, and I changed some of the gags on the cover ;)

Oct-Cover2.jpg
    1113 x 1440 - 2M
    edited October 2014

Classic work Tim-A , what a crack up :)

Here's some quick test renders from me, Cyborg Vicki and her son Ralph
    The three without text are straight renders. The Vickii Cyborg is made with two Vickis, one inside the other, the innards exposed by transmaps on the top Vicki

Doc9withglasson.jpg
    1556 x 2000 - 650K
    Doc9cropped.jpg
    1386 x 2000 - 667K
    Doc5.jpg
    640 x 900 - 391K
    Doc4.jpg
    640 x 900 - 324K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • sukyLsukyL Posts: 251
    edited October 2014

diomede64 said:

diomede I love Rankin and Bass too! There is nothing wrong with your figures. They have the right look. You just need to free yourself from a static, literal placement of the figures to one that's more dramatic. Take license and play with space and proportion.You just need to arrange, resize, and emphasize what you want to tell your story even if it doesn't actually make sense in reality. I think the effect will be much more pleasing to you. Check out your desired example. The female character is huge in the forground with the male character much smaller doing something in the background. This lobby card for the actual movie is a composite of characters which is non-literal, but the use of relative size gives dramatic emphasis to Sam Spade, Mr. Cairo, and the falcon to tell the story.

Maltese_falcon_poster.png
    220 x 221 - 125K
    Post edited by sukyL on
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Well, I've done about as much damage as I can to my final image, so I'm stopping before it's too late. :)

Wow! Great composition booksbydavid. Very well done!

edited December 1969

pimpy said:

Wow! Great composition booksbydavid. Very well done!

Thanks. :) It was fun.

edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    Gosh, you lot have been busy overnight! I only had a quick scan, or I'll be late for work!

I've tweaked mine slightly, changing the shaders on the girl's outfit, and adding a pin spot just to highlight her face better. Oh, and I changed some of the gags on the cover ;)

Like the changes. Love the humor.