How to get T-Pose in Unreal for Mixamo animation retargeting?

mostlyhumanmostlyhuman Posts: 93
edited February 2021 in Unreal Discussion

I want to retarget Mixamo animations in Unreal onto Genesis8 but the Mixamo characters are all in T-pose and Genesis8 is in A-pose.  Someone said if you do a manual fbx import into Unreal and check the option for “Use T0 As Ref Pose” it should force a T-pose but it doesnt for me.  I also have a question on the content that is generated by the plugin within Unreal inside the  "DazToUnreal Content" folder.  My instinct was to move the newly imported Daz character data into my regular project folders.  So I would just move the entire character folder into my main project area but of course there are dependencies left behind such as the skeleton and Genesis8JCMPostProcess.  If I then try to work with the character such as doing custom retargeting I get save errors for the skeleton presumably because it is in the plugin directory and so maybe write-protected?.  What is the correct way/workflow to work with the data that is created inside unreal for a character when it needs further customization? Thank you for any help!

Post edited by mostlyhuman on

Comments

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390
    edited February 2021

mostlyhuman said:

I want to retarget Mixamo animations in Unreal onto Genesis8 but the Mixamo characters are all in T-pose and Genesis8 is in A-pose.  Someone said if you do a manual fbx import into Unreal and check the option for “Use T0 As Ref Pose” it should force a T-pose but it doesnt for me.  I also have a question on the content that is generated by the plugin within Unreal inside the  "DazToUnreal Content" folder.  My instinct was to move the newly imported Daz character data into my regular project folders.  So I would just move the entire character folder into my main project area but of course there are dependencies left behind such as the skeleton and Genesis8JCMPostProcess.  If I then try to work with the character such as doing custom retargeting I get save errors for the skeleton presumably because it is in the plugin directory and so maybe write-protected?.  What is the correct way/workflow to work with the data that is created inside unreal for a character when it needs further customization? Thank you for any help!

you need first place the g8 character in T-pose, then make sure which the option to " use 0 to as reference pose" is marked on unreal in the pluging, or another way is you manually adjust the pose of mixamo character inside unreal to match daz A pose and save it, the important thing is both characters must be in the same pose to proper retarget animations. 

A alternative if you can pay some extra buckets is buy this pluging

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/mixamo-animation-retargeting

it will place the mixamo in the unreal pose then you just set the same pose for the daz character and GG, all retargeted, the only limitation is which you must "use the pluging" each time you download new animations, because once you change the "pose" of the character any new animation you try to download to unreal not gonna work with the "changed character" you need to download a new character with the old t pose and use the pluging to retarget animations.

short story, download all the animations you want to use with the characters(not just few but all you think you gona need), then use the pluging and retarget the animations, in case you need "more animation you have to download again a new character with the animations and use the pluging, in any case once you don't need anymore the "old model and the animtions once they already retargeted you can delete both character and animations( the original mixamo character and animations)

Post edited by Ellessarr on