Why I can't open victoria 6 character in Carrara ?

stormqqstormqq Posts: 76
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

it throws these errors
Warning: file /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Female/Genesis2Female.dsf could not be found
Error: node /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Female/Genesis2Female.dsf#GenesisFemale not found

anyone knows how to fix this? I have latest daz and Carrara

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited October 2014

Hi, hope we can get this sorted out quickly. Here are some things to check.

- make sure you have installed the programs and the figure starters essentials properly
    - in the browser tray, under the content tab, check for a folder entitled "My Daz3D Library"
    *** - note - this folder does not have the word "runtime" in the title
    - go to a subfolder entitled "people"
    - there should be another subfolder for Genesis and one for Genesis 2 Male and one for Genesis 2 Female, assuming installed properly
    - load your figure directly from the appropriate folder
    - if you own some characters, like Aiko 5, or Aiko 6, they should be in a character subfolder under Genesis and Genesis 2 respectively
    - Victoria 6 should be in the character subfolder under Genesis 2 female

Here is a thread that has a lot of information on using Genesis and Genesis 2 in Carrara. Hope it helps.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45361/

Post edited by Diomede on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

Did you install "Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials"?

• stormqqstormqq Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Hi, hope we can get this sorted out quickly. Here are some things to check.

- make sure you have installed the programs and the figure starters essentials properly
    - in the browser tray, under the content tab, check for a folder entitled "My Daz3D Library"
    *** - note - this folder does not have the word "runtime" in the title
    - go to a subfolder entitled "people"
    - there should be another subfolder for Genesis and one for Genesis 2 Male and one for Genesis 2 Female, assuming installed properly
    - load your figure directly from the appropriate folder
    - if you own some characters, like Aiko 5, or Aiko 6, they should be in a character subfolder under Genesis and Genesis 2 respectively
    - Victoria 6 should be in the character subfolder under Genesis 2 female

Here is a thread that has a lot of information on using Genesis and Genesis 2 in Carrara. Hope it helps.

there is no folder called "My Daz3D Library" but "My Daz3D Library Runtime"

edited December 1969

Did you install "Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials"?

yeah I installed it for Daz Studio but didn't for Carrara separately.
    I installed it through Daz Manager.

edited December 1969

Yeah, something is up with the installation. I installed using default DIM. Here is a screengrab of my content folder.

older Daz content is in the Poser runtime style folder that has the word "runtime" in the title.

newer Daz content like genesis and genesis 2 is in duf format and is in the my daz 3d library folder (no runtime in title)

my_daz3d_library.JPG
    490 x 134 - 20K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Yeah, something is up with the installation. I installed using default DIM. Here is a screengrab of my content folder.

older Daz content is in the Poser runtime style folder that has the word "runtime" in the title.

newer Daz content like genesis and genesis 2 is in duf format and is in the my daz 3d library folder (no runtime in title)

I didn't install the contents to public folder, I installed everything in the my document folder :(
    do u have to run the CMS from service? I use PostgreSQL CMS not the other one.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

gmlsx90 said:
    diomede64 said:

I didn't install the contents to public folder, I installed everything in the my document folder :(

Carrara doesn't communicate with PostgreSQL CMS, only with Valentina CMS.

edited December 1969

gmlsx90 said:
    diomede64 said:

Carrara doesn't communicate with PostgreSQL CMS, only with Valentina CMS.

okay I run the CMS and then it shows contents in the Smart Content tab but still doesn't show the contents in the Content tab
    and I still get the error

Warning: file /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Female/Genesis2Female.dsf could not be found
    Error: node /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Female/Genesis2Female.dsf#GenesisFemale not found

it says it doesn't found but when I checked I can find

this is my document folder and there is Genesis2Female.dsf file
    \Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female

and this is public folder
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D

and there is only the InstallManager folder

how do I configure carrrara to find the contents in the
    \Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female folder ?

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

From the error, it sounds like you may be trying to load Genesis through your "My DAZ 3D Library Runtime". For Genesis/G2F, you need to use "My DAZ 3D Library" - without the runtime on the end of it (see attached). If you have several runtimes/content folders, you may have to scroll down the list to find it. Mine shows up about half way down the list.

Hope this helps, it's the only thing I can think of.

My_DAZ3D_Library.JPG
    180 x 501 - 31K
    edited October 2014

dustrider said:
    From the error, it sounds like you may be trying to load Genesis through your "My DAZ 3D Library Runtime". For Genesis/G2F, you need to use "My DAZ 3D Library" - without the runtime on the end of it (see attached). If you have several runtimes/content folders, you may have to scroll down the list to find it. Mine shows up about half way down the list.

Hope this helps, it's the only thing I can think of.

no no, of course not. I tried few tries and finally added the My Daz 3d Library folder to content tab but still I get the same issue :(

http://i.imgur.com/jkY3yTb.png

Post edited by stormqq on
    edited October 2014

this is what basically what I have done.

I first added a figure to daz and saved it as a scene (victoria 6)
    and then opened the carrara and tried to open the saved file
    so it throws the aforesaid errors

I have the Daz 3d content library file in the content tab but still the same issue (I added it a couple of hours ago)

edited December 1969

I also tried to save the victoria 6 figure in daz as a character file (save as -> character present) but still the same issue.
    I dunno why ,what's wrong?

edited December 1969

and please note that, I can add basic characters (genesis 2,genesis etc.. ) from the Daz 3d content library file but I can't add what SAVED IN DAZ to carrara.
    that's my problem.

edited October 2014

I think it seems broken
    I found the same issue in here and it seems no proper solution either specially when the character is clothed and modified a bit.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/37820/

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I take it that you are trying to create a character (V6) inside DAZ Studio, and then saving that to re-open in Carrara?

If you have Carrara 8.5, then that should be possible, but you need to save it as a Scene, not a Character Preset.

I just tried this with a V6, loaded into DAZ Studio, some clothing added, saved as a Scene (Save As > Scene) in DUF format, and gave it a name I would recognise. I loaded Carrara 8.5, but the newly created scene did not appear in the Content tab, so I went to File > Open, found the scene file, and loaded it from there.

It took a couple of minutes to load, but there were no complications at all, or error messages.

When you have created your scene in DAZ Studio, please make sure that it can be opened again inside DAZ Studio, before you try to open it in Carrara.

I didn’t install the contents to public folder, I installed everything in the my document folder

If that is the case, then make sure that the content libraries that you are listing in DAZ Studio AND in Carrara refer to the new path that you have installed to, and not the one that DIM installs to. If you have the Base Genesis 2 Female installed to Public and V6 installed to your new path, then it wont work. They BOTH need to be installed into the same library folder.

If you can save, then re-load, a scene saved inside DAZ Studio, that means that DAZ Studio can find the 'data' folder, so try that first. If it works, then you need to look in (DAZ Studio of course) Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, and see what paths for DAZ Studio Formats are listed. These must be the correct paths, so make sure that you are using them in Carrara as well.

DAZ Studio may have created a 'data' folder in each of the two locations (Default and the one you created) causing the confusion that you are having.
    edited December 1969

the only PROPER solution seems save the file as obj, collada but then again saving the file in obj makes strange texture seems on the leg area so the collada is the only solution (so far as I found ,I might check other formats too). if someone wants to add the bare victoria character the easiest solution is drag and drop from the content tab in carrara.

edited December 1969

Below is the V6 I was telling you about, saved as a Scene inside DAZ Studio, and opened in Carrara 8.5.

If it works for me, surely it should work for you as well?

Untitled-1.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 167K
    edited October 2014

To use Daz studio first, try the following

- in studio, load V6
    - add clothes, hair, etc., making sure to use fit to
    - in studio, use "save as : scene subset" Do not use "save as : scene".
    - make sure all elements that you want are checked and that you note the location of your saved scene subset
    - start carrara
    - find your saved scene subset
    - load your file

In the thread that I linked to in my previous post in this thread, i discuss this issue, and a workaround, with screenshots. Hope it helps. In that thread, see post number 23, starting at the phrase "attempt 3". It describes my tale of woe when trying to use save as scene and how it was solved by using save as scene subset.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

I take it that you are trying to create a character (V6) inside DAZ Studio, and then saving that to re-open in Carrara?

yes, exactly. the reason is, I want to add some cloths, add hair, posses to my v6 modified character and some objects and then export to carrara to and then add a home made from sweet home 3d and then put everything in correct order and then render. I found carrara is the best application for rendering so easily and with high quality in less time.

If you have Carrara 8.5, then that should be possible, but you need to save it as a Scene, not a Character Preset.

yeah I have 8.5. yes I saved it as scene / Character Preset/ scene subset/support assets -> figure assets
    it doesn't open (throw above errors) when saving in scene / Character Preset/ scene subset but when saving in support assets -> figure assets
    it loads the bare figure but without hair and cloths.

I just tried this with a V6, loaded into DAZ Studio, some clothing added, saved as a Scene (Save As > Scene) in DUF format, and gave it a name I would recognise. I loaded Carrara 8.5, but the newly created scene did not appear in the Content tab, so I went to File > Open, found the scene file, and loaded it from there.

It took a couple of minutes to load, but there were no complications at all, or error messages.

this is so strange, I did exactly since a couple of hours ago but it doesn't work.

When you have created your scene in DAZ Studio, please make sure that it can be opened again inside DAZ Studio, before you try to open it in Carrara.

yeah it can open. :)

AND in Carrara

may I know how to set the paths in carrara ? I know how to set the paths in daz studio through (edit -> preferences -> content library -> content directory manager)

If you have the Base Genesis 2 Female installed to Public and V6 installed to your new path, then it wont work. They BOTH need to be installed into the same library folder.

like I told you , I copied the "My DAZ 3D Library" folder to my document folder from public document folder so now both
    "My DAZ 3D Library" and "DAZ 3D" folders are in the my document folder and I set the paths correctly in daz studio. (in content directory manager in preference of daz)

I didn’t install the contents to public folder, I installed everything in the my document folder

If that is the case, then make sure that the content libraries that you are listing in DAZ Studio AND in Carrara refer to the new path that you have installed to, and not the one that DIM installs to. If you have the Base Genesis 2 Female installed to Public and V6 installed to your new path, then it wont work. They BOTH need to be installed into the same library folder.

If you can save, then re-load, a scene saved inside DAZ Studio, that means that DAZ Studio can find the 'data' folder, so try that first. If it works, then you need to look in (DAZ Studio of course) Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, and see what paths for DAZ Studio Formats are listed. These must be the correct paths, so make sure that you are using them in Carrara as well.

DAZ Studio may have created a 'data' folder in each of the two locations (Default and the one you created) causing the confusion that you are having.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    To use Daz studio first, try the following

- in studio, load V6
    - add clothes, hair, etc., making sure to use fit to
    - in studio, use "save as : scene subset" Do not use "save as : scene".
    - make sure all elements that you want are checked and that you note the location of your saved scene subset
    - start carrara
    - find your saved scene subset
    - load your file

In the thread that I linked to in my previous post in this thread, i discuss this issue, and a workaround, with screenshots. Hope it helps. In that thread, see post number 23, starting at the phrase "attempt 3". It describes my tale of woe when trying to use save as scene and how it was solved by using save as scene subset.

:( I tried it as well ,I can load the bare v6 figure by following what you said but when cloths, hair are added to the scene and try to load from carrara then it doesn't work. it throws new errors.

http://i.imgur.com/YlX6ROA.png

edited December 1969

Below is the V6 I was telling you about, saved as a Scene inside DAZ Studio, and opened in Carrara 8.5.

If it works for me, surely it should work for you as well?

I dunno, I am confused. do you know how to set paths in carrara like in Daz. is there any option to set? I can't see anything like that in preferences. I think I did a lot of things so far.

edited December 1969

I am wondering which folder is this ?
    data\Daz 3d\Genesis 2\ Female .........

is this folder located in my document? is this folder located in public folder? where is this folder exactly?
    I know there is a same folder structure in "Documents\My DAZ 3D Library" folder but if carrara doesn't load files from there, from where it loads?

edited December 1969

gmlsx90 said:
    I am wondering which folder is this ?
    data\Daz 3d\Genesis 2\ Female .........

is this folder located in my document? is this folder located in public folder? where is this folder exactly?
    I know there is a same folder structure in "Documents\My DAZ 3D Library" folder but if carrara doesn't load files from there, from where it loads?

It looks like you may have more than one location for your 'data' folder which is causing the problem, either that, or Carrara is looking somewhere else for it.

Are you using File > Open in Carrara to load this file?

When you use the File/Folder menu in Carrara, that is how you add libraries to your Content tab. Navigate to the path of the folder that you want to add (My DAZ 3D Library) and Carrara should pick it up.

Do you still have anything at all in the C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library? If so, you would need to merge it into your new location.
    edited December 1969

Where are you saving the DUF Scene file to?

I think you need to save it to somewhere inside your My DAZ 3D Library, as the DUF file appears to look for the data folder inside the library folder that you save the Scene into. Is that what you are doing?

If you do not already have a folder called, say 'Scenes' or 'My Scenes', create one inside your My DAZ 3D Library, save your scene there, then use File > Open in Carrara to locate it, and load it from there.

edited December 1969

Where are you saving the DUF Scene file to?

I think you need to save it to somewhere inside your My DAZ 3D Library, as the DUF file appears to look for the data folder inside the library folder that you save the Scene into. Is that what you are doing?

If you do not already have a folder called, say 'Scenes' or 'My Scenes', create one inside your My DAZ 3D Library, save your scene there, then use File > Open in Carrara to locate it, and load it from there.

this works. :D thanks for finally helping me to solve it.
    yeah so indeed the file should be saved within the " My DAZ 3D Library" folder (I presume it has to be added to the content tab prior to that but I didn't test since I already added)
    the loading process is somewhat longer but at least it loads the full figure without any issue.
    obj file makes strange marks on the skin (on legs but it doesn't really visible unless closely look into that)
    and collada file doesn't load eyes. but loading from collada is the fastest method.

edited December 1969

Terrific!

I knew if I could do it, then it could be done easily enough. The DUF file uses relative paths to find the various items in the 'data' folder, so that data folder MUST be inside the library that the Scene file is saved to. I am just reiterating that so that anyone else who has the problem may find the answer.

Glad it worked anyway. :)

edited October 2014

sorry for that now there is another issue =_= sigh I can get rid this by using obj format but then again it makes strange marks on the skin (specially on the legs and close to the hand) other than that it's fine so I decided to import as duf format but it always makes two fingers in weird positions and the dress clips through the body

like this

this is how it shows on Daz
    http://i.imgur.com/h9dDTjy.png

this is how it shows in Carrara
    http://i.imgur.com/8MajUEz.png

and I use DUF format to import.
    I use a pose and a custom made dress.

edited December 1969

do you know at least how to manually fix them? or a guide or something like that.

edited December 1969

gmlsx90 said:
    do you know at least how to manually fix them? or a guide or something like that.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    gmlsx90 said:

thanks, can you tell me how to add two objects (body and cloth) at the same time to the 'Model' window of the carrara?
    so I can adjust the cloth by looking at the body so easily.