Convert .CR2 clothing for use in Carrara

DondecDondec Posts: 243
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi everyone,

I have some DAZ3D V4 products I’d like to use in Carrara 8.5 Pro. For one, the V4 Ruffle:

http://www.daz3d.com/v4-ruffle

If you go down to the “What’s Included” tab on that page, it shows the Blouse for example is delivered in .CR2 and .OBJ formats.

Using Install Manager, I found the .CR2 files in my Daz3D Content…
\Runtime\Libraries\Character
And the Replacement texture Maps here
\Runtime\Libraries\Pose\R3D_MATV4_Ruffle

I understand Carrara cannot load .CR2 files directly, they must first be converted to .DUF. My question is, how exactly do you do that? Obviously I’d like to convert it to the point where I can drag and drop it onto V4 like my other Daz clothing.

Haven’t found any write-ups or Tuts/YouTubes on this, I did play around on my own. I successfully loaded that Blouse .CR2 file by itself in DAZ Studio 4.6, selected the object and child bone hierarchy, then did a Saved AS – Scene Subset…. which creates the .DUF file.
But that saved version doesn’t appear in my Carrara Content tab, and if I use Carrara’s "File – Import" function, the Blouse while it appears in viewport and Instance list, I can’t apply it to Victoria 4.2.

I’m hoping others here have got a methodology worked out for converting props like this. Hope you can share the tricks involved. Thanks so much!

- Don

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited October 2014

Carrara can open cr2 files directly as long as they are installed. Many of us prefer our content in cr2 rather than duf.

In any case, many newer daz products have a duf file but need to convert to poser companion files to be for a cr2. The ruffle dress is not one. You can load the ruffle dress directly as a cr2 as long as you installed it to your computer as a cr2.

for me, my poser cr2 style content is installed to a folder in the content tab called My Daz3D Library Runtime, with the key word being runtime. Opening that folder reveals subfolders in the Poser style runtime organization. CR2 files are in the figure category. Within the figure folder, the V4 ruffle dress installed to a folder called V4 Ruffle. I was able to drag it directly from the content folder in to my Carrara scene without any other adjustments.

22_d_ruffle.JPG
    825 x 657 - 60K
    22_c_ruffle_folder.JPG
    1178 x 280 - 63K
    22_b_runtime.JPG
    168 x 122 - 13K
    22_a_libraries.JPG
    452 x 296 - 23K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DondecDondec Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Thank you! Works exactly as you've described.

Not sure where the confusion was. In any case I'm just loving Carrara - but I'm still trying to make sense of the content organization.

- Don

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

check Dartanbecks threads on carrara stickied in the forum
    also knowing Carrara's history helps
    it originally was an all round animation modeling suite to create stuff from scratch but additionally designed to import Poser content before being bought by DAZ 3D.
    DAZ added the extra compatibility for their content after.

• DondecDondec Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Thank you Wendy Cats. Yeah, I don't have much experience with Poser, my backround is with Cinema 4D. But for my growing interest in doing figure/scene work Carrara seems ideal.

That link was very helpful. Much appreciated

- Don