Best practices for rendering on DAZ3d

arunparunp Posts: 5
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I am new to DAZ 3D. Are there some best practices to shorten your render time without compromising quality? Does DAZ supports rendering on multiple machines? ( I have a idle server, is there a way to push some load to it in the same task.)

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Hya welcome.
    Just a small note - 'Daz' is the company.

Among its products are Daz Studio and Daz Studio.

It also owns Carrara - which is this forum.

So best to ask about a particular software perhaps?
    It's confusing I admit

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

As Headwax says, DAZ 3D is the company. It has a stable of software that includes DAZ Studio, Carrara and Bryce among other programs. Can you specify which one you mean?

As to network rendering, I could be wrong, but I believe Carrara Pro is the only one that supports network rendering, unless there is a plugin for Studio that allows it. I'm fairly certain Bryce does not, but I could be wrong.

It can be a bit confusing, but there are significant differences between the programs. DAZ Studio is more like Poser, in that it is kind of like a virtual photography studio. There aren't many options to build your own models or environments. It excels at using pre-made content.

Bryce is primarily an environment/world generating program. It does have a DAZ Studio bridge that allows you to bring in pre-posed figures.

Carrara is more like a software suite. It can be used like Studio if the user wishes with the ability to use pre-made content natively or nearly natively. It also has environmental tools similar to Bryec, though perhaps less polished. Carrara also has several modelers, such as a vertex modeler, Spline modeler, meta-ball modeler, terrain generator, a plant editor/creator and a volumetric cloud editor.

Carrara has better animation tools than Studio or Bryce if that is your goal with editable keyframes, multiple tweener types, graph editor, NLA clips, Puppeteer, etc. Additionally, nearly all Carrara functions can be animated.

Carrara also has deformers, fire and fog primitives, particle generator, IES lights, negative lights, various special effects and filters, the ability to load audio clips for syncing motion to sound, etc. etc.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Loving the speed of Carrara's render engine, I have spent a few years optimizing content to render out looking great at low settings for my animation purposes. Shoot... I gotta go... I'll try and get back to give some more specific details on my render settings. If there's anyone here that has one of my EnvironKit products, they'll know my usual default render settings, as that's the default I used for those products, while offering advice for going higher.

Still images work better with more accuracy than my usual render settings. Most of the forum members here use MUCH more accurate settings than I. But I find that animations can look fantastic at the lower accuracy settings that I usually use. Oh... gotta go

• stormqqstormqq Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

best advice is use Carrara , Daz's rendering is not that realistic.
    http://imgur.com/ws1sRxF

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,831
    edited December 1969

As to network rendering, I could be wrong, but I believe Carrara Pro is the only one that supports network rendering, unless there is a plugin for Studio that allows it. I'm fairly certain Bryce does not, but I could be wrong.

Bryce has a component called Bryce Lightning, which is a client for rendering on networked computers. I've not been running Bryce lately, because of its incompatibility with any version of MacOS X after 10.6, but I believe that Lightning is still included and works.

Otherwise, evilproducer's summary of the different programs seems very accurate and complete to me. It might be worth mentioning that Carrara can be used for figure-posing much as DAZ Studio can (and for landscape modeling much as Bryce can). DAZ Studio is more optimized for figure-posing, and Carrara's landscape modeling features fall behind Bryce's in some respects ... but if you're looking for a Swiss Army knife of a program, Carrara is the one to choose.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

angusm said:

Bryce has a component called Bryce Lightning, which is a client for rendering on networked computers. I've not been running Bryce lately, because of its incompatibility with any version of MacOS X after 10.6, but I believe that Lightning is still included and works.

Otherwise, evilproducer's summary of the different programs seems very accurate and complete to me. It might be worth mentioning that Carrara can be used for figure-posing much as DAZ Studio can (and for landscape modeling much as Bryce can). DAZ Studio is more optimized for figure-posing, and Carrara's landscape modeling features fall behind Bryce's in some respects ... but if you're looking for a Swiss Army knife of a program, Carrara is the one to choose.

Thanks for pointing out the network rendering client for Bryce. Is it like Carrara, in that you put Lightning (node?) on the client machine?

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,831
    edited December 1969

Thanks for pointing out the network rendering client for Bryce. Is it like Carrara, in that you put Lightning (node?) on the client machine?

Yes. I can't remember if I ever tried it out. I tend not to have a large number of computers available (he lies, trying desperately to conceal the stack of antiquated laptops that he has somehow accumulated over the years). But my understanding is that Lightning goes on the clients, and the main Bryce app parcels out tasks to them over the network.