Two questions

mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,177
edited October 2014 in Bryce Discussion

My Laptop is getting very sluggish mainly because of the Bryce libraries and Bryce .br7 file. I don’t have a very big hard-drive and have only 2 partitions, the C and a D to which I backup important folders like the Bryce presets, family albums etc. If I remove everything Bryce related I will get back about 50GB on the C-Drive.

I have an old external drive 250GB which I reformatted, but it is a single drive. Horo mentioned on many threads that he doesn't use the C drive for Bryce. My first Question is can I install Bryce 7, all the content and keep all your Bryce .br files on the one drive in different folders or should I make partitions and how many two or three?

The second question is regarding the Billboards - in the Content-Textures-Legacy-Billboards. I was wondering if there are any objects hidden somewhere for these billboards. I used them with the 2D face in the past, but was wondering if there are objects for them somewhere and I missed them.

Thanks

Post edited by mermaid010 on

Comments

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited October 2014

How much RAM do you use in your Laptop ?

How much ram memory have your graphics card ?

I have a lapto too and a very slow hard disk in it, but i think my laptop is fast.

edit: I only have one partition c.

Post edited by Roland4 on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071
    edited December 1969

On your first question.

Backing up files on the same drive doesn't work. If the drive goes then you loose everything. It is better to back everything up to a separate drive.

As to your 250GB external drive. I would partition it into two . A 150GB partition for backing up all your family pictures and stuff that you don't want to loose, and a 100GB partition for all of your Bryce data, the main program can remain on your other drive with the libraries and any new .br7 files you generate moving these to the external data drive at the end of the session. This way you can keep working with Bryce without having the external drive connected and only doing that to backup your data when required.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,287
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - most, but not all, of Bryce content needs to be in the main Bryce folder, sub-folder Presets. It doesn't matter where Bryce is installed (could also be on a network drive) but the Preset folder must be in the Bryce folder, wherever it is.

What you can put elsewhere is what you find in the Content folder in the Bryce folder. There are - among other things - HDRIs that take up quite some space. That's where also the billboards are and they can be anywhere provided you'll find them later. You can even save trees outside the Bryce folder but for trees, I recommend to put them into a library.

I recommend to get the http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf because it describes where all the stuff belongs. For the trees, see http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BTO-Trees.pdf.

Generally, I agree with Sandy about partitioning drives. My primary 1 TB drive is C, E, F and the second one D, G, H. C for the system and drivers, D for graphics, 3D and text, E for programming languages and tools, F for data, G product development and H holds a backup system.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

i cant really suggest much about where to install or back up bryce to....but for speed i would strongly recommend a "Solid state drive" or more commonly known as a SSD ...they have a massive data transfer rate, you would notice that any application you use with a SSD will load almost 2-3 times faster :) ....a little off topic, but i thought i would share that :)

edited December 1969

i cant really suggest much about where to install or back up bryce to....but for speed i would strongly recommend a "Solid state drive" or more commonly known as a SSD ...they have a massive data transfer rate, you would notice that any application you use with a SSD will load almost 2-3 times faster :) ....a little off topic, but i thought i would share that :)

I had a SSD drive. SSD is good and fast for the system, the system started in about 12 seconds, software is immediately available. But a SSD drive has no effect on the render time.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,177
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

I have 3.00 GB RAM and Intel core i3 Not sure what hard drive I have and if it is SSD as Tim Bateman stated. How can I check if the hard drive is SSD :roll:

The C drive has reached a critical level 6.8GB free of 138GB and the D drive has 42GB free of 148GB. The Bryce folder in the programs folder is almost 39GB

Horo I already have the 2 pdf’s you mentioned. Regarding the one for the content, you used two different drives, I am looking at the possibility of using just one drive with different folders. :)

I’m going to go by Fishtale’s and your suggestion , move all my important stuff to the external, 2 partitions – one personal and one for Bryce, and then use the D drive to install Bryce and all the Bryce related files.

I grab whatever “free goodies” I can get my hands on, and I like to add them to the libraries so I know where they are if I need them. With 7Pro we have the liberty of having as many categories we like in the different libraries, as long as the capacity does not exceed 2GB. Because I have almost everything, freebies, my trials and errors from doing tutorials (materials, skies even the Wings 3D object), in the libraries, the hard drive is starting to cough, before it dies I need to do something about it. :red:

Thanks once again to everyone, I will start working on it this evening.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071
    edited October 2014

SSD stands for Solid State Drive and should say that on it. It will be quite a flat drive compared to normal hard drives.

Remember and check all your personal stuff after moving it to the external drive, DO NOT DELETE IT!! until you are sure it is all there and intact. Use the COPY command rather than the MOVE one to transfer it.

Post edited by Fishtales on
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

@Roland- yes i know a SSD will not speed up render time...the only thing's that can do that are 1. making bryce large address aware, if your ram can handle the adjustment of course.....2. having a powerful CPU, i personally would go for a core i7.....and 3. unlocking you CPU cores, that will insure you are using all of the multi threading that a i7 has to offer, a good graphics card wont really do anything for bryce....i know this because i am running dual Nvidia GTX 780 Ti's, and that doesn't offer and speed to my render time in bryce, if i were to use octane for example it would render almost anything in seconds :)

edited October 2014

@Roland- a good graphics card wont really do anything for bryce....i know this because i am running dual Nvidia GTX 780 Ti's,

With a graphics card it is the same as with an SSD drive. Not for render time (exception Cuda) but for a fast system (workflow). If you have in Bryce a high poligon model you can see the difference between a card with less memory.

Post edited by Roland4 on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,177
    edited December 1969

Fishtales said:
    SSD stands for Solid State Drive and should say that on it. It will be quite a flat drive compared to normal hard drives.

Remember and check all your personal stuff after moving it to the external drive, DO NOT DELETE IT!! until you are sure it is all there and intact. Use the COPY command rather than the MOVE one to transfer it.

Thanks, I also decided to move the files not cut and paste. :)