Displacement Error

Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
edited October 2014 in Bryce Discussion

What's going on at once with the displacement ? I use a part from a very high poligon sphere. The edges look hideous.

I tried everything, a bigger blured picture with map and the size 2048 X 2048, higher poligons, less displacement. I'm at a loss. Can anyone help me please ?

On the ring the edges are round and sharp.

RingEmblem3a.jpg
500 x 500 - 117K
RingEmblem1b.jpg
500 x 500 - 110K
DisplacementError1.jpg
500 x 500 - 95K
Post edited by Roland4 on

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

It may be that you will need to adjust the micro polygon size. It can be found at the bottom of the attributes menu. It is greyed out for me because the material does not have displacement set. If I set it I would have crashed Bryce. Unless I set the priority to low. But here you should be able to enter in a smaller value and that may help, potentially. This is not something I've experimented with much due to the instability of the feature and my aversion to unstable features.

micropolygon_size.jpg
    398 x 413 - 77K
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It may be that you will need to adjust the micro polygon size. It can be found at the bottom of the attributes menu. It is greyed out for me because the material does not have displacement set. If I set it I would have crashed Bryce. Unless I set the priority to low. But here you should be able to enter in a smaller value and that may help, potentially. This is not something I've experimented with much due to the instability of the feature and my aversion to unstable features.

Thank you very much David, now it looks better. I set the Micropolygon to 0,1.

Two questions:

How much polygons must a model min. have for displacement ?

What is the ratio of the micro polygon value to the real polygon count of the models ?

My Sphere from Blender have 1015808 polygons. I think that more polygons make the edges looks better. Or is that wrong?

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:

Thank you very much David, now it looks better. I set the Micropolygon to 0,1.

Two questions:

How much polygons must a model min. have for displacement ?

What is the ratio of the micro polygon value to the real polygon count of the models ?

My Sphere from Blender have 1015808 polygons. I think that more polygons make the edges looks better. Or is that wrong?

I'm no expert on displacement, but as far as I know, there is no dependency on the models geometry. The micro polygon displacement is a material effect. And the only material effect that is dependent on models geometry is curvature because it uses the surface values to drive the filters. Displacement on the other hand is like bump effect and instead relies on the image maps that drive it and the micro polygon level to determine the size of the simulated geometry.

edited December 1969

Thank you very much David. The only difference between bump and displacement i know is, the shadow in displacement are real and depending on the lighting and the shadows in bump not.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Displacement does actually displace the mesh, bump only pretends to do so.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,287
    edited October 2014

@Roland4 - I experimented with Displacement some time ago and I found that it is too coarse and the mapping not correct. Here's the Earth in Space using displacement on a sphere.

EarthInSpace.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 107K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2014

It is such a shame displacement is so Iffy in Bryce. This is a demo set done in Poser, first is the simple dress, 2nd is bump applied and 3rd has displacement. It would be lovely to be able to do similar in Bryce

dirndl_with_displace.png
    668 x 681 - 231K
    dirndl_with_bump_only.png
    668 x 681 - 182K
    Dirndl_for_tut_1.png
    668 x 681 - 72K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Pam: Nice work on the dress.

edited December 1969

It looks as if the main problem is the bitmap which I use. The corners are not sharp but jagged. This is a problem from the sotware i use. I have test different programms, but the problem is always the same and the edges blured leads to no result.
    I'll go now another way to get a decent bitmap. I model the bitmap with Hexagon or Blender and make a 2D picture.

edited December 1969

And here is the bitmap i make with Blender.

Logo2.jpg
    500 x 500 - 36K
    edited October 2014

And here is the test render, now I am satisfied.

Testrender_2c.jpg
    500 x 500 - 73K
    Testrender_2b.jpg
    500 x 500 - 113K
    Post edited by Roland4 on