Refraction in Carrara

MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
edited October 2014 in Carrara Discussion

Hi all,

For my last render I was playing around with glass shaders in Carrara and had some questions.

In the Refraction channel in the shader there is a drop-down listing several materials (various glasses, water, etc.). Changing this does not change the number in the "other value" though. Does the drop-down setting override the value you put in, or is that box not doing anything at all? I tried a couple simple renders and could not see a difference, although that might just be because those materials would all look the same in my test scene. In my screenshot you can see that the drop-down is set to common glass, but I have manually changed the other value box to the IOR for water and I'm not sure which one it is using for the render.

Also, the "other values" is expecting a range of 1 to 10,000? In real life the index of refraction value ranges from 1 for a vacuum (if I am understanding it correctly) up to around 4. Does this value represent the IOR, or is it something different?

Thank you,
Mark

IOR_Channel.JPG
1226 x 674 - 106K
Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

Comments

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

Hi MDO2010.

In the Material drop down choose '(Other)'. The values you enter should work.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

To have refraction, you needs at least two different materials (a pen in glass, for ex).
    We can see it more or less extremely according to the visual angle (camera).