Any way to stop Daz overwriting thumbnails?

I like to make nice Iray rendered thumbnails for all of my custom content, but the downside is that every time I resave an asset Daz wipes out my nice thumbnail with the autogenerated one.  

My current workaround method which is super annoying is to open the good thumbnail in photoshop, save the asset in daz, and then resave the png in PS to restore the good thumbnail. Another method is to back up the thumbnail files and copy them back after saving.  

I've also tried marking the thumbnail as read only so that Daz can't save over it, but that causes Daz to error out and fail to save the asset at all.

Does anyone know any way I can force Daz not to overwrite the thumbnails?

Comments

• just as tedious but I rightclick rename then afterwards rightclick the new thump rename copy, delete that one rename paste the good one

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,183

I don't think you can prevent it, but when you save a file from Studio, a new thumbnail filename.duf.png is created. The extension of the saved file is not required for the thumbnail that is displayed, but it does take precedence over one that does not have the extension. So, once you have a good one, rename it without the .duf part, then just delete any new thumbnail files that are created after that, refresh the view, and you'll be back to the original.

• FalcoFalco Posts: 239

Ooh, this is a much better workaround! Thanks!

• Pickle RendererPickle Renderer Posts: 208
    edited January 2022

If you set the thumbnail as read-only in Explorer (assuming Windows), Daz won't be able to overwrite it.  It doesn't "fail" either, at least not in the version I'm using (4.16.1.6 Public Build).

Well, that's weird.  I created a new scene, saved it, then made a change to the scene, saved it again with the thumbnail read-only, and it worked.  Then I loaded an old scene, saved a subset of it with a read-only thumb and I got a fail message that you have to cancel with the top, right cross.  It does save OK though.

Post edited by Pickle Renderer on