Can AMD CPU work with IRAY?

Now, I use so many models in the DAZ at once that they exceed the size of my graphics card (6G).So every rendering task was done by my Intel I5 CPU, and my graphics card (1060) was basically on vacation.

Since it's the CPU that does the work every time, I'm thinking, why don't I buy one of AMD's cheaper, more powerful CPU?

However, I remember saying that in order for iRay to work properly, you have to use an Intel CPU with an integrated graphics card.

This gave me some hesitation and confusion.

I would like to know whether I can make IRAY work normally if I buy AMD CPU with integrated graphics card or without it.

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

You have to use a Nvidia GPU, not Intel, if you want Iray to render with your GPU. Iray is developed by Nvidia, so theirs are the only GPUs supported.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

Yes.

I have an AMD CPU and it works fine.The more cores you have the better, of course.

The most important metric is IPC (instructions per core) also called single core performance.The faster each core can finish it's part of the render job and start a new one, the faster your renders get done.

Right now I believe the top 5 are all AMD

Ryzen 9 5950x 16 core/12 thread

Ryzen 9 5900x 12 core/24 thread

Ryzen 7 5800x   8 core/16 thread

Ryzen 5 5600x  6 core/12 thread

All of which are incredibly difficult to find in stock. The 5600x is the cheapest of the bunch at around $200 but has the fewest cores.

Also, to upgrade a CPU means you will need to get an AMD motherboard and compatible RAM for both CPU and motherboard.

As leana posted, iray won't use any GPU of any kind unless it's an Nividia card.

my system:

AMD Ryzen 7 3800xt

128GB DDR4 3200 RAM Gskill Ripjaws

MSI x570 Unify Motherboard

Nvidia GPU made by ASUS model RTX 2060 6GB ROG Strix

Having an Nvidia GPU, even one with very little Vram lets you use the denoisers and stuff like that though most all of the other rendering work will be done on CPU. Something to consider before investing in integrated graphics.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

Yes, an AMD CPU will do Iray CPU renders just fine. Obviously, it will be slower than using the GPU, but it will work. I don't know whether Intel CPUs are faster than AMD CPUs for this particular task, but if there's any difference, I'd expect it to be small.

I'm running a PC with a 1070Ti card and an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X. When the scene is too large for the 1070Ti, it drops back to using the Ryzen processor and everything works just fine.

• kyoreonakyoreona Posts: 147

Leana said:

You have to use a Nvidia GPU, not Intel, if you want Iray to render with your GPU. Iray is developed by Nvidia, so theirs are the only GPUs supported.

I see what you mean, but right now it's hard to get a decent NVIDIA GPU with a lot of video memory at the original price.

So I figured, if I'm going to switch to CPU rendering anyway, why don't I just spend the money on upgrading the CPU

• kyoreonakyoreona Posts: 147

IceCrMn said:

Yes.

I have an AMD CPU and it works fine.The more cores you have the better, of course.

The most important metric is IPC (instructions per core) also called single core performance.The faster each core can finish it's part of the render job and start a new one, the faster your renders get done.

Right now I believe the top 5 are all AMD

Ryzen 9 5950x 16 core/12 thread

Ryzen 9 5900x 12 core/24 thread

Ryzen 7 5800x   8 core/16 thread

Ryzen 5 5600x  6 core/12 thread

All of which are incredibly difficult to find in stock. The 5600x is the cheapest of the bunch at around $200 but has the fewest cores.

Also, to upgrade a CPU means you will need to get an AMD motherboard and compatible RAM for both CPU and motherboard.

As leana posted, iray won't use any GPU of any kind unless it's an Nividia card.

my system:

AMD Ryzen 7 3800xt

128GB DDR4 3200 RAM Gskill Ripjaws

MSI x570 Unify Motherboard

Nvidia GPU made by ASUS model RTX 2060 6GB ROG Strix

Having an Nvidia GPU, even one with very little Vram lets you use the denoisers and stuff like that though most all of the other rendering work will be done on CPU. Something to consider before investing in integrated graphics.

Thank you, my next computer, I will allocate more money to CPU, I think I will choose AMD.