Does DAZ still sell Carrara 8.5 Pro

2»

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

lamenting all the carrara content gone from the store.

waldon park a casualty

• Steve K said:

tsarist said:

Anyone interested in animation should give Carrara a look. It's VERY powerful.

I second the motion.  I will use Poser if I have to for the rare scene that doesn't import to Carrara very well (e.g. impressive lighting, sometimes a PITA to duplicate in Carrara), and VUE for some spectacular landscapes (even anmations now that it supports 12 core AMD chips).  But whenever I can, I use Carrara and usually can get 1280x720 (standard lighting) frames rendered in 5-10 seconds on a fast machine.  

Yes, it is powerful.

Just be aware that character dynamics (hair, clothes) don't work in Carrara, because Carrara uses a different dynamic engine. So if you want to make this kind of animations ...

• MerKhrys said:

Steve K said:

tsarist said:

Anyone interested in animation should give Carrara a look. It's VERY powerful.

I second the motion.  I will use Poser if I have to for the rare scene that doesn't import to Carrara very well (e.g. impressive lighting, sometimes a PITA to duplicate in Carrara), and VUE for some spectacular landscapes (even anmations now that it supports 12 core AMD chips).  But whenever I can, I use Carrara and usually can get 1280x720 (standard lighting) frames rendered in 5-10 seconds on a fast machine.  

Yes, it is powerful.

Just be aware that character dynamics (hair, clothes) don't work in Carrara, because Carrara uses a different dynamic engine. So if you want to make this kind of animations ...

at least we can do our own dynamic hairs

Not Like DAZ Dforce Strandbased which is PA only  cheeky

Carrara could do more than DAZ studio can now 10 years ago

• DAZ studio is only a DAZ content loader anyway devil IMO

If the user just wants to buy and load premade DAZ content, that is definately the program for them yes

some people might enjoy modelling and rigging their own stuff though and creating landscapes, doing Physics and particle sims whatever

DAZ studio not terribly great at that cheeky

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited February 2021

G3 and G8 can indeed be loaded into Carrara. Through a workaround. And it doesn't always work.

And that is why I've given up on them.  Yes, they are probably better looking, but I want to tell a story and not have to wrestle with the pieces.

There is enough to deal with (scenes, characters, props, motions, lighting, sound FX, special FX, music) without that.  (And I forgot, story).

But I sympathesize with those who want the best characters in Carrara, and are willing to put up with the hassle.

Post edited by Steve K on

Yes, it is powerful.

Good point, and I confess I do not want to make those kinds of animations.  I am impressed by that kind of dynamic animation, but I am more interested in unusual settings,with interesting characters but not necessarily "dynamic" hair & clothes.  

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

it's so funny to see rows of spotlights turn to point at a singularity.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614
    Mystiarra said:

lamenting all the carrara content gone from the store.

waldon park a casualty

What??? Waldon Park? I'm glad I bought this already. If Daz won't further develop Carrara, they need to at LEAST maintain the catalogue of items available for it. Taking items out of circulation makes Carrara a less appealing buy for new users.
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited March 2021

Correction:  Dynamic hair is native to Carrara since C6.  Clothing dynamics are available for Carrara through the VWD plugin and Philemo's bridge.  

So, if you '...want to make those kinds of animations...', you can.  Dartanbeck does.  See the following Rosie 5 sample, for example.  

Post edited by Diomede on

Diomede said:

Dartanbeck does.  See the following Rosie 5 sample, for example.  

Ah, right, I remember those being pretty impressive.  

• MerKhrysMerKhrys Posts: 89
    edited March 2021

Diomede said:

Correction:  Dynamic hair is native to Carrara since C6.  Clothing dynamics are available for Carrara through the VWD plugin and Philemo's bridge.  

So, if you '...want to make those kinds of animations...', you can.  Dartanbeck does. 

Yes, I know. You're absolutely right.

I never said there wasn't dynamic hair in Carrara. I only wanted to say that, as Carrara uses a dynamic system different from the one used in Daz Studio, most of the items in the Daz shop don't work in Carrara because they use the latter.

There are a few which uses Carrara's system, though. From PhilW, for example. I purchased some of them, years ago. And unlike Daz Studio, you can edit them in Carrara. Or even make them from scratch if you wish. There's a specific tool for that.

Post edited by MerKhrys on
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Torquinox said:

As it sits, the last version of Carrara is well-sorted and still supported by the community. People still use TrueSpace, so why should Carrara be any different?

Wow, Truespace! That was something else. Great little program.

edited March 2021

The correction was to the following statement - 

Just a clarification.  Some might interpret 'this kind of animation' to mean animations with dynamic hair and cloth.  Perhaps others might interpret 'this kind of animation' to be limited just to a few Studio-specific products that don't work with VWD, or the inferior Studio strand-based hair.   I don't care what the intent was.  I am merely making sure that readers know that Carrara has dynamic hair and cloth that can be animated, and has had longer than Daz Studio, and that users have more control over Carrara dynamic hair than users have of Studio dynamic hair.

Therefore, if a person wants animations with dynamic hair and cloth, then Carrara is a fine program to make this kind of animation

I highly recommend anyone interested in animations in Carrara to visit Carrators  http://www.bond3d.byethost18.com/?i=1

Repeat - Carrara makes this kind of animation.  There are a limited number of products designed specifically for Daz Studio that don't bridge perfectly to other programs, including to Carrara.  That doesn't mean that people can't make this kind of animation in those other programs.  

Despite recent store purges, Daz3D will still sell you a fine tutorial package explaining exactly how to make such animations in Carrara.  https://www.daz3d.com/animation-in-carrara-video-tutorials

animation in Carrara video tutorials.jpg
    1357 x 1004 - 208K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Diomede said:

Bytescapes included a warning about lack of Daz development support, which was before UnifiedBrain posted.  I include warnings about Daz lack of development when I praise Carrara to a wider audience, but I don't feel the need to repeat the warning if someone else has given it.