what causes this?

all my animations do this. I followed the instructions exactly, but this happens every time. I am using DS 4.12.0.86. and I have tried the Daz to Unreal plug-in with both Unreal 4.25.4 and 4.26.1, and the same thing happens regardless of the figure used or the version of Unreal. Always the mapping of the skeleton seems to be off. What is causing this?  How do i fix this? I asked in another thread but it was ignored. Seems like this should be something easy and fundamental that I am missing. 

Comments

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

btw, if you use Discord you can ask David directly.  He's pretty responsive to questions/support. There's a bunch of tutorials/instructions here.  Don't know if it'll help.

• I think I already answered you in another thread.  Most likely you automapped the skeleton and saved it out so the bone mappings are all wrong now.  Easiest fix is to get a clean copy of the skeleton.

http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-getting-a-clean-copy-of-the-skeleton/

• yeah, i sort of figured it out. I followed the daz tutorial on it here,  which is the "official" one, and it tells you to click on automap at one point in the tutorial, but that apparently completely screws up the skeleton. According to David in the other thread, you do not want to use automap, the skeleton should already be mapped properly. Unfortunately, once the skeleton is screwed up, there is no fixing it. So I had to find another tutorial unrelated which showed the correct mappings, and I had to do it manually. (Uninstalling and reinstalling still had the screwed up mappings, so somewhere in cache or something, it kept screwing up my skeleton). Anway, I finally got it working. But daz should either remove their tutorial or update it, because if you follow it to a T it will screw you up. 

• David Vodhanel said:

I think I already answered you in another thread.  Most likely you automapped the skeleton and saved it out so the bone mappings are all wrong now.  Easiest fix is to get a clean copy of the skeleton.

http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-getting-a-clean-copy-of-the-skeleton/

yes, there is a delay between when I send my responses and when they actually get posted by like 12-24 hours due to all of my posts needing to be "approved" before posting (i'm on the permanent naughty list, don't ask) so my post(s) above was actually before you responded in the other thread. Thanks for your help.

• metasidemetaside Posts: 175

TGSNT said:

(Uninstalling and reinstalling still had the screwed up mappings, so somewhere in cache or something, it kept screwing up my skeleton).

Not sure if this is really relevant, but I noticed that UE sometimes needs a full PC reboot to fix strange errors. Being a UE noob, I wasn't really sure about this until a pro dev told me the same a few days ago.

• metaside said:

TGSNT said:

(Uninstalling and reinstalling still had the screwed up mappings, so somewhere in cache or something, it kept screwing up my skeleton).

Not sure if this is really relevant, but I noticed that UE sometimes needs a full PC reboot to fix strange errors. Being a UE noob, I wasn't really sure about this until a pro dev told me the same a few days ago.

i'm new to unreal too, new to everything but Daz actually. Good point on rebooting, something I neglected to do and should have probably done. I've since imported other figures without problems into UE, I even was able to get a G2F figure in and it works pretty well except for some weirdness with the fingers that I haven't figured out yet.