Are Platinum Club and Platinum Club+ the same thing?

FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Are there two Platinum Clubs? If there is, what is the difference in what you get, and what you pay for membership?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033
    edited December 1969

Fauvist said:
    Are there two Platinum Clubs? If there is, what is the difference in what you get, and what you pay for membership?
    PC+ is the new version of the PC, introduced last August.
    All the people who purchased or renewed a membership since then are PC+ members.
    PC members who had an annual membership when PC+ was introduced were given the option to convert it to PC+ immediately or keep the "old PC" rules until their membership expires.

So currently there are indeed 2 versions of Platinum Club live, but only PC+ can be joined.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Basically the old PC get all the PC items for $1.99
    The PC+ members get the back catalog for that, but new items are higher priced, and it depends on what they are. When items are new releases in the PC section, you get a discount when first released (and many are just 10 cents higher than what the PC members are paying, aka $2.09 instead of $1.99)

When the PC members' membership run out, they will not have the option to remain PC, only the + is offered. The prices had stayed the same for many years, so they needed to be increased. That thread will explain it better, but this is the short gist. Sales have rewarded the + members more than the PC members because the + members are having to pay more than $1.99 for items in the PC section.

edited December 1969

PC+ members also get an extra coupon which works on all items, including PC and PA items, as long as they're older than 60 days.

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited December 1969

Leana said:
    PC+ members also get an extra coupon which works on all items, including PC and PA items, as long as they're older than 60 days.

With a minimum purchase requirement of $18 to be exact.
    TD
  • FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038
    edited October 2014

Well then I have a problem. I am a member of Platinum Club (not the Club + version). My membership runs out in 2 weeks. I go to the product page for the Platinum Club Plus Annual Membership, and I'm not able to join because the page says I have already purchased it. It's $49 right now on that page. How do I join?

Screen_shot_2014-10-15_at_2.08_.35_PM_.png
    816 x 660 - 188K
    Post edited by Fauvist on
  • Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,127
    edited December 1969

Fauvist said:
    Well then I have a problem. I am a member of Platinum Club (not the Club + version). My membership runs out in 2 weeks. I go to the product page for the Platinum Club Plus Annual Membership, and I'm not able to join because the page says I have already purchased it. It's $49 right now on that page. How do I join?

You can still click on the Purchased button, and it will let you add it :)

edited October 2014

You can purchase it even if the button says "purchased", it won't prevent you to add it to the cart
    edit: crossposted with Jack...

Post edited by Leana on
    edited December 1969

Leana said:
    You can purchase it even if the button says "purchased", it won't prevent you to add it to the cart
    edit: crossposted with Jack...

Oh no, don't cross the streams!

Ghostbusters1.jpg
    400 x 180 - 24K
  • WandererWanderer Posts: 957
    edited December 1969

Hey everyone. I'm not meaning to hijack anyone's thread here, but just to mention about the OP's question. I've never purchased the PC before but I was wondering the same thing, so I looked into the terms and it says, in addition to a lot of other stuff, that the legacy PC people get items for the $1.99 amount while the PC+ folks just get a percentage off discount. If I hadn't come in here to search for just the OP's question, I would've gone away thinking that PC+ was kind of a rip-off. I think the quality of the models is much higher overall, and I have no problem with them charging more. I think what bothered me was the name PC+ which sort of at the surface sounds like an improvement. Maybe it is an improvement, but when you consider the way it's spelled out (or not spelled out), it's kind of a marketing issue. My initial impression was that someone was attempting to make folks think it was better (when it really wasn't) just by changing the name. Not that I represent many people, but a sale is a sale. Anyway, from the way it's described in the replies posted above, it doesn't sound half bad, but it's not made to sound very appealing in official marketing other than tacking on the "Plus" at the end of the name. Daz peeps really should consider getting a fresh perspective from the noob's point of view sometimes. I think it would improve things a great deal if they did. Anyway, thanks for reading my comment. Have a nice day.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Hey everyone. I'm not meaning to hijack anyone's thread here, but just to mention about the OP's question. I've never purchased the PC before but I was wondering the same thing, so I looked into the terms and it says, in addition to a lot of other stuff, that the legacy PC people get items for the $1.99 amount while the PC+ folks just get a percentage off discount. If I hadn't come in here to search for just the OP's question, I would've gone away thinking that PC+ was kind of a rip-off. I think the quality of the models is much higher overall, and I have no problem with them charging more. I think what bothered me was the name PC+ which sort of at the surface sounds like an improvement. Maybe it is an improvement, but when you consider the way it's spelled out (or not spelled out), it's kind of a marketing issue. My initial impression was that someone was attempting to make folks think it was better (when it really wasn't) just by changing the name. Not that I represent many people, but a sale is a sale. Anyway, from the way it's described in the replies posted above, it doesn't sound half bad, but it's not made to sound very appealing in official marketing other than tacking on the "Plus" at the end of the name. Daz peeps really should consider getting a fresh perspective from the noob's point of view sometimes. I think it would improve things a great deal if they did. Anyway, thanks for reading my comment. Have a nice day.

I think the main reason for the + being added was to show that the PC had moved on after more than 11 years with very little change to the original format. It was necessary to move forward with the times as the older style PC was no longer viable.

edited December 1969

PC+ members do pay more for new PC items, but they get more discounts on PA items. So some things aren't as good, some are better.
    I agree that calling the new version "PC+" wasn't the best idea effectively, as it does give an impression of "you get the PC benefits and something more" which isn't the case. Not sure how they could have called it though...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Leana said:
    PC+ members do pay more for new PC items, but they get more discounts on PA items. So some things aren't as good, some are better.
    I agree that calling the new version "PC+" wasn't the best idea effectively, as it does give an impression of "you get the PC benefits and something more" which isn't the case. Not sure how they could have called it though...

could I suppose have been the somewhat boring MK2

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Leana said:

could I suppose have been the somewhat boring MK2

It's only something to differentiate the two while it transistions.. I don't know if after July 2015, when there is only one PC, it will be changed or not, but that's not something we've discussed at this point.

However, going back to just the one PC will save a few headaches - so I can't wait... ;)