Using Reality

jodycourjodycour Posts: 137
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I just downloaded Reality to my Daz3D 4.6 Studio, I also learned later after purchasing it I had to download Lux Render also which I did but I don't understand how to operate it!
I watched a tutorial and it looked really simple but for some reason it won't let me get to the render button! I try to drag it up higher on the screen but it just drops back down! So it won't let me get to it!
Could some one please help me this is getting really frustrating!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,888
    edited December 1969

Is your screen's vertical resolution 768 pixels or less? The Reality Interface really needs more than that - I'm not sure if hiding the task bar (in Windows) will help with that, if not one thing you can try is clicking on a non-button control, to give it focus, and then hitting the tab key to advance focus - a bit of trial and error should tell you how many tabs are needed to reach the render button. I don't have the current version of reality so I can't tell you what you need to use. If you can't get it to work, or if the workaround is unacceptable, I would suggest opening a support ticket to ask for a refund - if you bought in the punch sale and are technically not elligible for a refund explain, politely, that the plug-in will not work on your system (I can't promise that will work, but it's sensible to try).

• jodycourjodycour Posts: 137
    edited December 1969

What do you mean by hitting the tab key? I have clicked on several different buttons and slides, it doesn't work even by putting the tool bar on the side!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,888
    edited December 1969

As I said, I don't have this so I can't check but in many tools pressing the tab key on your keyboard will advance focus to the next control, and then pressing the space bar will be the equivalent of clicking on the control.

edited December 1969

Ok I'll try it!

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

jodycour said:
    Ok I'll try it!

That method does work, have no fear! I had to use it on my old laptop.
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Reality requires your vertical resolution is 800 pixels so if you are running at 1024x768 you may not have enough vertical resolution to see the entire screen.
    If you can click the Restore Down button on the right side of your Reality Windows (TWO BOXES, ONE IN FRONT, THE OTHER JUST BEHIND IT) when it comes up (Or if you're on a MAC it's the yellow button on left side of the window.) it should resize the window so the buttons are accessible provided you have 800 vertical lines of resolution.

LuxRender is a stand-alone application, you install it and when you bring up the Reality interface you will need to tell in (only once you need to do this) where LuxRender is. This is done from the OUTPUT tab of Reality at the bottom of the page. LuxRender does NOT need to be running until it's ready to render so you can leave it alone.
    Click BROWSE and go to the FOLDER where luxRender is located and click Accept or Okay, you do not need to actually click LuxRender.exe or or whatever, just tell it the folder and you're done with the need to ever do this again unless you move the location of LuxRender.

Then when you've set all your material settings, lights, filenames for output are where you want them you can do one of two things:

click RENDER FRAME button to automatically start LuxRender, and it may take a few moments to compile so be patient.

or click RENDER AS FILE just above RENDER FRAME, then manually start LuxRender and load the filename.XLS file you specified when you set up the scene (this is done from the OUTPUT tab in REALITY.
    You would use this if you want to continue working and render some other time or render to some other machine because by default LuxRender will use every last ounce of computer power your CPU has and it wont stop until you tell it to, or specify by other methods. It's a completely different animal than 3Delight.

edited December 1969

Thanks I'll try that! Exactly which tab is the restore down button in Reality?

edited December 1969

Thanks guys that did work, it's just a little rough working like that!

edited December 1969

jodycour said:
    Thanks guys that did work, it's just a little rough working like that!

theres a forum dedicated to LuxRender over at www.runtimedna.com that you should check out and if you havent read the Reality Users Manual (RUG) yet you should take a peek at it when you have the chance. Reality does not have that steep of a learning curve but setting up a scene for LuxRender is probably going to be a little alien to you if you never used it before.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,330
    edited December 1969

I had a similar problem on my laptop, and set task bar across the the bottom of the screen to be hidden unless cursor over, and then I could hit the lux render button.

edited October 2014

for Windows users to hide the task bar right click on the task bar in an area without any icons (it's the big bar with the windows logo and usually across the bottom of your screen) go to PROPERTIES, under the first tab [Taskbar] tick the second checkmark option labeled [ ] Auto-hide the taskbar , then click OK.
    your taskbar will not appear unless your mouse goes to the very bottom of the screen (Or whatever edge you placed your taskbar, by default it's the bottom)

on the Mac it's the dock, and to hide it go to the dock, Right Click on an area of the doc that is not an icon (or hold down CTRL then click Left Mouse button) and go to Turn Hiding On.. again you will need to go to the extreme bottom (or location of your dock if you changed it) of the screen to get the dock to pop up.

If you run the Reality window in dual monitors and drag it to the other monitor or change your resolution on your single monitor and change the size of the Reality window it will remember the size of the window where you last changed it so keep that in mind. My main monitor is running 1200x1920 so if I pull it down to populate that vertical size then drag the entire window over to my 2nd monitor running 1920x1080 and close it the window may open the size I put it at on a monitor without the vertical resolution to deal with it, so just keep it in mind.

if you look at the requirements on both the Preta3d.com page and the Reality profile page on Daz3d.com it does have a listing under system requirements:

Vertical screen resolution of at least 800 lines.

the Reality interface needs at the very least all of this to open up and for you to get to the tabs and options. Most laptops and desktops built in the last 10 years should be able to go past 1024x768 resolution.

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • XpiderManXpiderMan Posts: 426
    edited December 1969

How do I stop Daz from asking me for the registration information every time I want to use Reality? I have to type my name, code, email, serial number and activation key every single time. :(

• pcicconepciccone Posts: 661
    edited October 2014

xpiderman said:
    How do I stop Daz from asking me for the registration information every time I want to use Reality? I have to type my name, code, email, serial number and activation key every single time. :(

There is probably an issue with your license, maybe the name entered was invalid. Please contact me via email with all your information and I will take care of that right away.

email: reality at preta3d dot com

Post edited by pciccone on
  • CrystalwizardCrystalwizard Posts: 102
    edited December 1969

jodycour said:
    I just downloaded Reality to my Daz3D 4.6 Studio, I also learned later after purchasing it I had to download Lux Render also which I did but I don't understand how to operate it!
    I watched a tutorial and it looked really simple but for some reason it won't let me get to the render button! I try to drag it up higher on the screen but it just drops back down! So it won't let me get to it!
    Could some one please help me this is getting really frustrating!

According to the vendor, the next version of reality won't have the button is hidden under the edge of the monitor problem.

For now, put your windows task bar on the right or left side of the screen. Then when you move your mouse to the bottom you'll see the highlights where the buttons are. the one all the way to the left side is Render. You can see the entire interface in the pdf reality users guide so you know where the buttons are.

You do not need to know how to use LuxRender. Just download it, it's free, and have it installed on your machine. Then launch Reality and click the browse button next to the path to LuxRender, browse to the folder it's in and choose it. It doesn't work to type it in, you have to actually browse to it.

I'm on laptop so I'm working with the same issues you are.

Word to the wise: READ the reality docs. you need to use the mesh lights that come with Reality, not the DAZ studio lights for best effect.

• XpiderManXpiderMan Posts: 426
    edited December 1969

Pret-A-3D said:
    xpiderman said:

There is probably an issue with your license, maybe the name entered was invalid. Please contact me via email with all your information and I will take care of that right away.

email: reality at preta3d dot com

I emailed you my information. Thank you in advance!

• pcicconepciccone Posts: 661
    edited December 1969

Just replied.

Thanks.