Help with modeling

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I have Carrara 8.5 pro and I am looking to create a crystal helix very similar to a braided rope. I saw on one thread ( I can't find it now } a formula to create a helix. I tried it and it didn't work. It did nothing at all. Does anyone else know of a way to do this? Thank You in advance.

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Does it matter which modeler you use? For instance, does it have to be a vertex model, or can it be a spline model?

• edited December 1969

I followed the instructions to the letter and it was in a vertex object that was supposed to be modified by a formula. I'd never used the formula method and I was very surprised that it did nothing at all. It's been a few months since I last tried it. I figured it would look funky and that I could tweak it but it did nothing at all. I'm pretty sure I did something wrong but I couldn't figure out what.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I don't have any experience with using formulas. I do know you could use a spiral preset in the spline modeler.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited October 2014

Here a good link to play with the formulas : http://gianp.free.fr/carrara/indexcarrara.html

Post edited by DUDU on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Hi,

The formula modeler is distinct from the vertex modeler which is distinct from the spline modeler. However, if you use the formula modeler or the spline modeler, you can convert the result to a vertex object.

1) Here is a thread on creating spirals in the spline modeler.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33935/

2) Here is "That French Link", which has some great ways to use the formula function, including creating a helix in the formula modeler. You may want to use a browser translate function if you don't speak French.

http://gianp.free.fr/carrara/indexcarrara.html

It might be useful to provide a link to the tutorial you are following that is not working. Maybe it is missing a step.

edited December 1969

Ah, Dudu beat me to it. Well done.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

I keep it in my favorites !:-)

• edited December 1969

Thanks to all. I will give all the suggestions a shot. I was completely stuck and now I have some hope.

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited October 2014

I have Carrara 8.5 pro and I am looking to create a crystal helix very similar to a braided rope. I saw on one thread ( I can't find it now } a formula to create a helix. I tried it and it didn't work. It did nothing at all. Does anyone else know of a way to do this? Thank You in advance.

Read the other posts, not sure about a formula either.

This is a quickie so not quality.

To make a rope - make five cylinders or more in modeler and have them intersect each other.
    Cylinder width = 3, cylinder height = 50 cylinder segments (sections) cylinder sides 32

weld these all together

In the assembly room, use the twist modifier and use 1440 as your input (4 full 360 degree twists) to make a standard rope

Now for a helix, I just used two cylinders with the same dimensions. could use more not connected. Same as before weld before going into assembly. I would make the other stuff on the inside separate.
    Apologies for the quick explanation , have to run to an appointment, shower eat and all that before ....

helix_2_strand.jpg
    640 x 480 - 22K
    rope.jpg
    640 x 480 - 27K
    rope_end.jpg
    242 x 289 - 23K
    Post edited by Design Acrobat on
  • McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

sparrowhawke has a spring primitive plugin (Free) that will make this "oh so simple"
    Not at home at the moment to provide you a link.....anyone?

edited October 2014

RE; sparrowhawke plugin - I should have said that the thread on the spline modeler has a lot more than just the spiral example. It includes a lot of other methods, and I believe Sparrowhawke's is one.

Edit : the spline thread has everything except the link to the Sparrowhawke webpage. See http://sparrowhawke3d.com/Sparrowhawke3DPlugins.html

Post edited by Diomede on