How do you set up bump maps in Unreal if there's no normal map?

I can't seem to find a tutorial for setting up bump maps in Unreal without also including a normal map to plug them into through another node type. Does anyone have any advice? Also, is it normal for the bridge to bring over all of an objects texture maps but only actually apply the diffuse and normals to it upon import? Thanks.

Comments

• Below is a screenprint from my own notes showing a normals map being applied and mixing textures, I hope it helps.

And 'yes' to Unreal not picking up all imported texture values.  I tend to just use diffuse in Blender for UV reference, then build the rest in Unreal after import.

bumpandmix.jpg
    641 x 627 - 88K
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495

I'll admit I don't really understand what's going on with those nodes, but thank you very much for the example and for replying.

• If I remember correctly, I import all the textures references by the character.  I can only map the ones that are refered to in the Parent Material though.  The reason is this makes it much easier to modify the materials to use the additional textures if you want to.  There's a whole system built in there to map properties from Daz Studio to the materials in Unreal so you can add things like bump maps if you want.  http://davidvodhanel.com/working-with-materials-in-daz-to-unreal/

If you want to make your own materials, I recommend you copy one of my materials and the corresponding Material Function into your project as a starting place.

The reason I don't connect the bump map is not everything has it, and I was having trouble setting it up in a way that looks decent across different assets. 

• I should also mention, the extra textures shouldn't end up in your packaged project if they aren't actually used.