RAM Memory Problem

Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Does anyone know of a good free tool with which I can clear the RAM Memory ?

Comments

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited October 2014

yes ram map is free and works great <span style="color:blue"><span style="font-size:14pt"><a href="mailto:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/sysinternals/ff700229.aspx">Rammap</a></span></span>; when you download just run it, at the top you will see "Empty" ....click that, then you will see "Empty standby list" just click that and close ram map....all done :) ....i hope this helps
    Post edited by Tim82 on
    edited December 1969

i hope the link works or even shows up! ....im not fully sure how to post links on this forum :)

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

i hope the link works or even shows up! ....im not fully sure how to post links on this forum :)

Which link ???

edited December 1969

bugger! ...it didnt work then :( ...ok just type "rammap" in google for me it was the first one in the list its from "technet"

edited December 1969

let me know how it go's for you...or of course if you need some help with it :)

edited December 1969

I dont understand, what this programm do.

i have found this.:

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

edited December 1969

they are 2 files you dont really want to play around with!

edited December 1969

Sorry, but i dont no what i must do with this programm. My english is not so good that i can understand this.

edited December 1969

might be safer to just leave it as it is then

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Surely just restarting your computer will clear the RAM?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

IF it's the Brcye memory stack you want to clear, just saving and closing Bryce and then reopening it does it.

edited December 1969

I have found this. A command line command.: %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    I have found this. A command line command.: %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

Opinions vary on what that command will actually do ... http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=369399

Might I ask why you feel you need to clear out RAM? Usually the Operating System will unallocate any 'dangling memory' when the owning process terminates, assuming the process does not do that itself. Circumstances when RAM usage just keeps on increasing can be down to something called a 'memory leak', where a running process does not clean up after itself.

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Might I ask why you feel you need to clear out RAM?

Sometimes, when the memory is full Bryce crashes. If I shut down the computer and then back up, then everything goes back to normal.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,124
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    Sometimes, when the memory is full Bryce crashes. If I shut down the computer and then back up, then everything goes back to normal.

Yes, Bryce is a 32-bit application and can therefore only address 2 GB. Bryce keeps everything in memory, also up to 16 undo steps and when saving compresses the file in memory before it is written to disk. Saving the file often and always with a new name, then quit Bryce and restart it, then load the saved file will free unused memory, like the undo buffer. Also note that if you click on an object in the library, it is loaded into memory even if you don't use it and leave the library. It is good practice for an elaborate scene or one that needs memory intensive objects to run Process Monitor and monitor the memory usage of just Bryce. The Task Manager can be misleading and sometimes it blocks some commands.
    edited December 1969

Thank you for your detailed explanation Horo. This shows that there is ultimately only one way to get free the memory, and that's to start Bryce new.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

If you have not already done so you can make Bryce running in Windows LAA (Large Address Aware) which will permit it to access a little bit more of your PC's memory (assuming it is available). Not sure of the exact amount but it's around an extra 500MB or so I believe. Won't solve the underlying problem but may act as a bit more of a buffer for you (and Bryce).

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    If you have not already done so you can make Bryce running in Windows LAA (Large Address Aware) which will permit it to access a little bit more of your PC's memory (assuming it is available).

Thank you, for your details. This I have done some time ago, and am more than satisfied with the result.

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    If you have not already done so you can make Bryce running in Windows LAA (Large Address Aware) which will permit it to access a little bit more of your PC's memory (assuming it is available).

Thank you, for your details. This I have done some time ago, and i am more than satisfied with the result.

edited December 1969

you can allocate a small portion of your hard drive's free space as "Virtual ram" also :) ...that helps for me running memory chewing software :)

edited December 1969

you can allocate a small portion of your hard drive's free space as "Virtual ram" also :) ...that helps for me running memory chewing software :)

Thanks.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Tim Bateman: That would work for Bryce if Bryce could use the hard drive. But as Horo's has said many time, Bryce does everything using memory. It'd be wonderful if Bryce used the hard drive for virtual ram.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

GussNemo

Bryce may not use virtual memory but Windows does. If Windows detects that memory is getting critical then it will start moving stuff from the memory into virtual memory to free up memory space. The bigger this space the more it can release. The more memory Bryce has available the more it will use without using virtual memory. I have had Bryce doing big renders and DAZ rendering in the background and not had any problems, slow but not crashing. The time for Bryce to crash usually is when I try to save a big scene, usually after adding two or three extra elements, or when I have forgotten to save it for a while :)

I use these on my computer and also the first one on my Android Tablet.

This first one also has a system monitor that sits on the desktop with a button for cleaning ram.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.php

http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.php

edited December 1969

@ Fishtales- thankyou for explaining that for guss....thats exactly what i was trying to say but i left out the smaller details :)

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

So Windows is monitoring how much Ram Bryce is using, and when Bryce calls for more memory Windows then moves other programs to Virtual Memory?

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited October 2014

GussNemo said:
    So Windows is monitoring how much Ram Bryce is using, and when Bryce calls for more memory Windows then moves other programs to Virtual Memory?

Basically, yes.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/what-is-virtual-memory#1TC=windows-7

It is also better to have the page file on a separate drive, not a partition on the same drive, from the system, program and data drives if possible, Especially system and programs. That way the hard drive heads don't have to thrash across the plates trying to do two or three things on the one drive. It should also speed up hard drive access. Also remove the paging file from the other drives and set it to the highest the other drive will allow. It will still only use what it needs even if it is a massive amount.

Post edited by Fishtales on