Workflow for adding a new shader in a Big scene?

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
edited October 2014 in Carrara Discussion

Hya, I often work with Big scenes, so I find that when I need a new shader
I go into the shading room then have to scroll down a million zillion shaders in the shader list till I get to the new shader part at the bottom

If I copy and paste a new Object, then I get a new shader automatically, but more often than not I want to duplicate - which gives me the same shader as the original

surely there is an easier way of doing this?
just wondered what people do?

thanks in advance

:)

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Hya, I often work with Big scenes, so I find that when I need a new shader
    I go into the shading room then have to scroll down a million zillion shares in the shader list till I get to the new shader part at the bottom

If I copy and paste a new Object, then I get a new shader automatically, but more often than not I want to duplicate - which gives me the same shader as the original

surly there is an easier way of doing this?
    just wondered what people do?

thanks in advance

Well, I do what you do. If there's an easier way, I'd love to hear it.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Me too, fingers crossed !

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited October 2014

File->Preferences...->Keyboard Shortcuts. Context; Application. Category; Edit,...then New Master Shader.

Post edited by tbwoq on
    edited December 1969

Never knew that :)
    So, I add a new shader and it will be called Shader 18 or something, I need to find that with all the shader pics or....
    In the drop down list in the shader room where it will still be a long way down under 's'

so my next question must be, can we change the name of the new shader that we add automatically to eg aaaaaaaaaaaaaaardvark :)

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

Yep. It will stack it way down under the list of shaders. So the long list still needs to be scrolled through to name it. Hoping C9 will have something new. :)

• JamyJamy Posts: 192
    edited December 1969

I always call my shader with 000 before the name (000-skin - or 00-chrome or 001-chrome) to see it on the top of the list.
    After that, when I want a new shader, I duplicate it and automatically this new one vill be on the top.

edited December 1969

I always call my shader with 000 before the name (000-skin - or 00-chrome or 001-chrome) to see it on the top of the list.
    After that, when I want a new shader, I duplicate it and automatically this new one vill be on the top.

great idea, thank you :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

Don't call me Shirley. :lol:

Thanks for this thread. It might seem like a little thing, but the preferences option and the name 00 tip will have an impact on almost every project I start from now on.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    head wax said:

Don't call me Shirley. :lol:

Thanks for this thread. It might seem like a little thing, but the preferences option and the name 00 tip will have an impact on almost every project I start from now on.

heh heh :)