Installation problems

queenofmeanestqueenofmeanest Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hello, I am new to the forum and I hope to learn a lot here. I just purchased for Byce 6 the following items and I am having difficulty trying to install them. Some are zip files and when I unzip it, either MS Access or some other product of MS Office opens up.

25 WS Materials Liquid Alpha
Glorious Glass - 20 materials for Bryce
24 Fantasy Terrains for Bryce 6

HELP.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

What are you using to unzip it, and where are you directing the unzipped files to?

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Sounds like perhaps you have your .zip file extension associated with the wrong program somehow. Assuming this is not what you wanted, right-click on any zip file and select "Open With" > "Choose Default Program" from the context menu, make sure you have the option checked to Always do it (instead of just this once), then on my Windows 7 PC it appears you want to select "Windows Explorer". If it's not in the list you're going to have to manually figure out what it is and browse to it, but I'm hoping it will already be displayed as a choice from before.

screenshot,_zip_open_with.png
    1245 x 588 - 249K
  • queenofmeanestqueenofmeanest Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I am using Windows Vista. For the zip file which was included with the downloaded purchase. I am using 7zip instead of Winzip. Very seldom do I use zip files.

I have tried every path possible. Here is the error message I receive when I try to download the software.

"Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Glorious Glass - 20 materials for Bryce" requires that the installed path for "Bryce 7 Pro, 7, 6, 7" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again. "

Should I download this to Bryce 6.1, which is my husband's software and this is his b-day present or download it to DAZ or DAZ3d?

edited December 1969

I have tried Windows Explorer and the file would open to MS Publisher or MS Access

edited October 2014

Try using a different unzip program. 7zip is free. You can also get a trial version of WinRar.

Ah, just saw that you are using Install manager. Yes you can install directly to Bryce with that. And yes you need to direct the DIM to your Bryce installation.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

Is it just my system? Windows7 Home Premium. I download the zip into a download folder, double click on the zip file and it opens into another explorer window showing the contents then I drag and drop them into the required folder. No 7zip or Winzip used as windows does it natively.

edited October 2014

I am using Windows Vista. For the zip file which was included with the downloaded purchase. I am using 7zip instead of Winzip. Very seldom do I use zip files.

I have tried every path possible. Here is the error message I receive when I try to download the software.

"Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Glorious Glass - 20 materials for Bryce" requires that the installed path for "Bryce 7 Pro, 7, 6, 7" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again. "

Should I download this to Bryce 6.1, which is my husband's software and this is his b-day present or download it to DAZ or DAZ3d?

Lets go back right to the beginning. "Install Manager cannot find a required path" DO you have the DAZ Install manager installed? Have you downloaded the file using the DIM?
    Which Download button did you use to start your download?

download_screen.jpg
    809 x 273 - 86K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

I have tried Windows Explorer and the file would open to MS Publisher or MS Access

Right click on the zip folder, when the window pops up click on 'properties' at the bottom, when that widow opens click on 'change' beside 'opens with' and in that window of programs choose 'windows explorer'. Click 'ok' in all the open windows to close them then double click on the zip folder and see if it opens in a new window showing all the contents. Look for the folder where the items are to go to in the folder pane to the left of the main window and drag and drop them into it.

In windows you can also highlight the zip folder in windows explorer, click on the 'file' menu at the top of the window and when the menu opens there is an 'extract all' that opens a window allowing you to choose a destination folder.

So two ways without using another program.

edited December 1969

Download and install

edited October 2014

And you have previously downloaded and installed the Install manager? http://www.daz3d.com/install-manager-info

Have you mapped the correct path into your Install manager

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    And you have previously downloaded and installed the Install manager? http://www.daz3d.com/install-manager-info

Yes. The path is where the software was installed.

edited December 1969

>:-(

Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "24 Fantasy Terrains for Bryce 6" requires that the installed path for "Bryce 7 Pro, 7, 6" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "25 WS Materials Liquid Alpha" requires that the installed path for "Bryce 7 Pro, 7, 6, 5" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Glorious Glass - 20 materials for Bryce" requires that the installed path for "Bryce 7 Pro, 7, 6, 7" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Photoshop 3D Bridge for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Win 64-bit)" requires that the installed path for "Photoshop CS6, CS5, CS4 (64-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Yes. The path is where the software was installed.

Numerous times. Should I uninstall and try this fiasco again.

edited December 1969

DAZ3DIM.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0023:6F4574B2

EAX=00000001 EBX=00000000 ECX=DD2F0000 EDX=00000000
    ESI=6F5C72A4 EDI=767795A8 FLG=00010246
    EBP=1F2AFAE0 ESP=1F2AFAB0 EIP=6F4574B2
    CS=0023 DS=002B SS=002B ES=002B FS=0053 GS=002B

edited December 1969

Very buggy

edited December 1969

Sounds like perhaps you have your .zip file extension associated with the wrong program somehow. Assuming this is not what you wanted, right-click on any zip file and select "Open With" > "Choose Default Program" from the context menu, make sure you have the option checked to Always do it (instead of just this once), then on my Windows 7 PC it appears you want to select "Windows Explorer". If it's not in the list you're going to have to manually figure out what it is and browse to it, but I'm hoping it will already be displayed as a choice from before.

Done that.

edited December 1969

Not if it is used right. I will see if I can find someone to talk you through the correct way to use it

edited December 1969

Thank you. I am about to contact my credit card company for a refund.

edited December 1969

I just called the so-called telephone numbers for tech support.

DISCONNECTED.

edited October 2014

You don't contact your credit card company, you contact DAZ 3D, They have a 30 day refund policy

Better Than Risk Free We're so convinced that you'll like our products that we offer a 30-day money back guarantee with every purchase made on our site! Try out any product in our store for thirty days. If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase we'll give you your money back.

Fill in a help request here https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/requests/new using Sales dept as the dept to contact, give them the order number etc by filling in the form as requested, and tell them you want it refunded to your credit card.

edited October 2014

I just called the so-called telephone numbers for tech support. DISCONNECTED.

Support is all done through the ZenDesk link I just posted. https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/requests/new

I am asking for someone to come and help you.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,389
    edited December 1969

Done that.

Post a screenshot of your applications tab, and Installations tab please. We'll get you through this don't worry about it.

edited December 1969

Thank you. However, I have done this numerous times and watched the youtube video about six times to see if I missed anything.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,389
    edited December 1969

I need to see those screenshot I asked for to help you through it

edited December 1969

I have deleted the software and this time for good. Thank you for your help. The install manager crashed repeatedly. I could not download anything to the right path and what I could download did not go where I told it to go.

There are too many bugs and the staff should be fired and new blood hired.

I'm done.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,001
    edited December 1969

I have deleted the software and this time for good. Thank you for your help. The install manager crashed repeatedly. I could not download anything to the right path and what I could download did not go where I told it to go.

There are too many bugs and the staff should be fired and new blood hired.

I'm done.

I feel sad you gave in to frustration. I did that a few years ago and only now I realized how foolish that was. The Daz team and the members of the Bryce forum would have helped you solve your problem. They are an awesome group and extremely helpful and very patient. We are the ones who quickly throw in the towel. I hope you will reconsider, Bryce is just fun, fun and more fun.

edited December 1969

AS Mermaid said.

If it is just the DIM that is giving you problems we can talk you through Downloading and installing the products that you purchased using the manual method. Horo has written a very helpful PDF, which sows you where the various parts of the download should be installed in your Bryce program. This is the same for all versions of Bryce, not just the newest one.

http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf

Instead of downloading on the download and install button use the blue, manual download button, make a temp folder on you PC and unzip the files there, using your unzip program. and then move the files into Bryce manually as well.

If you want to do it this way we are here ready to talk you through it.

With regards to dim I quote a comment from a previous thread where someone was having problems with DIM

In DIM you need to make sure you're setting the path to the Bryce application in the Settings > Applications tab; the "Install Location" doesn't apply for applications like Bryce, Carrara, Photoshop, etc.

And we got this person up and running.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    AS Mermaid said.

If it is just the DIM that is giving you problems we can talk you through Downloading and installing the products that you purchased using the manual method. Horo has written a very helpful PDF, which sows you where the various parts of the download should be installed in your Bryce program. This is the same for all versions of Bryce, not just the newest one.

http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf

Instead of downloading on the download and install button use the blue, manual download button, make a temp folder on you PC and unzip the files there, using your unzip program. and then move the files into Bryce manually as well.

If you want to do it this way we are here ready to talk you through it.

With regards to dim I quote a comment from a previous thread where someone was having problems with DIM

In DIM you need to make sure you're setting the path to the Bryce application in the Settings > Applications tab; the "Install Location" doesn't apply for applications like Bryce, Carrara, Photoshop, etc.

And we got this person up and running.

I set the paths several times and it would crash or I would get an install failure message, which I posted earlier.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@queenofmeanest: Then how about not using the DIM and let us walk you through installing things manually? Just say the word and someone will give you detailed instructions.