Help? Trying to see content in 64-bit Mac

Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 585
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I have a support ticket on this already but I thought I might try here in the forums since I've had good luck in the past. :)

I'm trying to set up C8.5Pro on a 64-bit Mac. I originally got 8.5, but we quickly discerned that I'd need 8.5pro because 8.5 just did not work at all. I got the upgrade and it installed great! I even loaded a DS Genesis character I'd been working on and got a nice render. So I started puttering around, looking for some of the installed content and found that CPro wasn't finding it. I checked with DAZ and they said I needed to have the Native Content installed for versions 8, 8.5, and 8.5 Pro installed. According to the Install Manager, everything was installed. In fact, I even had extra shaders which I'd bought from the store and had installed, but which CPro couldn't see either.

So, how do I get 8.5 Pro to see all this content which is supposedly on my Mac?

I had a similar problem on my old PC. I installed the latest version of CPro and it couldn't see all the content which had come from my previous version. I had to manually set up the content folders so that they could look in the previous versions. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the Mac directory structure so I don't know where all that content has been installed to.

Sigh...

Sorry for over-explaining. Does anyone have an idea on what I can do?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Comments

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 585
    edited December 1969

Just a quick update...

I deleted everything relating to Carrara 8, Carrara 8.5 and Carrara 8.5 Pro on my Mac and reinstalled 8.5 Pro and the Native Content for 8, 8.5, and 8.5 Pro. 8.5 Pro still does not show any of the content for 8.

Just as a quick note, Install Manager shows the Native Content for 8 to be 176.7 MB, for 8.5 to be 6 MB, and for 8.5 Pro to be 307 KB, so I'm guessing that the content I'm looking for is in 8. Does anyone know where the Native Content gets installed?

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

Check on the DIM... select Native Content and click on the button at lower right (show details) then click on the Show File List Button beside Installed to.

Mine shows most was installed to PRESETS. This is in the Carrara package. I recall when I first installed a year ago that I had to move something into the presets (inside the Carrara package). You might have the same problem.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

SmallFry said:
    Just a quick update...

I deleted everything relating to Carrara 8, Carrara 8.5 and Carrara 8.5 Pro on my Mac and reinstalled 8.5 Pro and the Native Content for 8, 8.5, and 8.5 Pro. 8.5 Pro still does not show any of the content for 8.

Just as a quick note, Install Manager shows the Native Content for 8 to be 176.7 MB, for 8.5 to be 6 MB, and for 8.5 Pro to be 307 KB, so I'm guessing that the content I'm looking for is in 8. Does anyone know where the Native Content gets installed?

Native Content (Presets and Scenes) are supposed to be installed into the Carrara.app "program bundle". The original DAZ Install Manager was faulty and did not do it correctly.
    We were told later, that the problem had been resolved, but since I had already manually installed the content files I did not check to see if this is true.

See the screen capture below for the proper file locations.

Carrara_content_install.png
    1023 x 781 - 225K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    Native Content (Presets and Scenes) are supposed to be installed into the Carrara.app "program bundle". The original DAZ Install Manager was faulty and did not do it correctly.
    We were told later, that the problem had been resolved, but since I had already manually installed the content files I did not check to see if this is true.

Howie Farkes' new Hapsburg scene, and others still do not install correctly, nor do some of Ringo Montfort's shaders (I had a ticket out on this, which Daz support unilaterally closed on me). So there is still a bug which they have not fixed.

edited December 1969

Yeah, it's pretty peculiar. I wonder why C8.5 Pro can't see the content that IM installed correctly.

Tim_A, did you reopen your bug ticket?

Is there anyone out there having similar problems? Conversely, is there anyone who is not having problems using their presets on their 64-bit Macs? I'm just looking to compare notes on how you installed C8.5Pro: was it a brand new install or an upgrade from a precious version? What OS might you be using? I'm just trying to figure stuff on my own while DAZ does the same on their end...

edited December 1969

Say, I have a silly question...

Would it be possible to move or copy the folders in my Carrara.app program bundle out of the bundle into a folder in Finder? I might then be able to go to my presets and choose Add Folder to point to that folder.

I'm kind of new to the ins and outs of Mac conventions. Mayhaps I shall experiment after I get my kids to bed...

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

It may be the content that's at fault - I don't know to what extent the install location is dictated by the content or by the installer. The content that doesn't work all installs to somewhere slightly different to the content that does. I suspect that the bug is that Carrara doesn't index new locations into its presets list. hence the workaround is to move it somewhere that Carrara already knows about.

(i.e.. the content that Howie puts into MacOS/Presets/Scenes needs to move into MacOS/Scenes)

Yes you can copy the folders out into the wider Finder environment. You can then add it into the regular content browser and open the .car files through the Open menu etc.

I didn't reopen the ticket. Maybe I should...

edited December 1969

Tim_A, that sounds like a good thing to consider. I should try that with my copy of Howie's scene too...

Some limited success with moving content out of the Carrara.app program bundle. I copied out the Digital Painters shaders and placed them in my Carrara shader Documents folder, then used Add Folder in the presets menu to point to it, so that was good!

I couldn't get that process to work on the Atmosphere presets tho'. Does anyone know what .cbr files would be? All the Atmosphere presets are saved in that format.

A side question: does anyone know of additional Atmosphere presets, whether free or for purchase? I find them a big help for setting up scenes, and so much easier (and cheaper! I love content included with a software package instead of constantly having to buy it...) to use than some of the similar sets for DAZ Studio.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited October 2014

I think that the stuff that shows up in the Wizards needs to be in the application bundle. Stuff like plugins, brushes and leaves I know have to be in the application bundle, but those are data files and not scene files.

What I did was to open the application bundle, and create an alias of my Presets folder and Data folder and place them outside the application bundle. I can then either double click them to gain access directly in the Finder, or I can use the Add Folder option in the Browser and use the Open dialogue box to navigate to the folder I want to add via the alias. Works great.

I wonder though, if you moved the Presets folder outside the application bundle and then put an alias for the Presets folder back in the application bundle if Carrara would see it? If so, that would be awesome!

Post edited by evilproducer on