Carrara 8.5 and Windows 8.1

argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I am still running Windows 7 on my old computer and Carrara is running just fine,

I just upgraded to a new computer with Windows 8.1, and now I can't even install Carrara properly, let alone use it, even though I made sure that all files were at the proper place. For example, Carrara native content doesn't install ( I notice Daz doesn't give the whole native content on their download site), my new Carrara browser is a mess and doesn't load the old figures correctly. And if I load a Genesis morphed figure in Daz Studio and save it as a DUF file, it won't load properly in Carrara, meaning it will load without any morphs.

I'm thinking on installing Windows 7 on a different hard drive on my new computer. Is it possible to run Windows 7 and Windows 8 on the same computer?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

No wonder Microsux is going straight to Windoze 10!!!
    8 seems worse than Vista!!!

• Dave_5690Dave_5690 Posts: 19
    edited October 2014

Did you install the new postgres database for Daz Studio? It is contraindicated for carrara users.

Good info in this thread:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/41604/

(I just installed daz studio and carrara on windows 8.1. I installed DIM and let it do all the work. I had some problems with smart content in carrara, I think it was do to postgres. Working well now)

Post edited by Dave_5690 on
  • DondecDondec Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Absolutely no problems witih Carrara 8.5 Pro and Windows 8.1 and updates here. Also notice that the task priority scheme works better than Windows 7... I've been doing a lot of network renders, first setting Carrara's priority to low via Task Manager before Launching. Can't even tell its running in the background. I'm using Windows on 64b platform.

- Don

• Akulla3DAkulla3D Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Been using Carrara 8.5 in 8.1 for a year or so, no real issues.

• Akulla3DAkulla3D Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Oh one more thing. Make sure when you installed Carrara you gave it admin rights. That could be why some stuff isn't loading.

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

dave said:
    Did you install the new postgres database for Daz Studio? It is contraindicated for carrara users.

Aaaaahh! This was it! I uninstalled the PostgreSQL ( Install Manager has installed it automatically) and now I got my complete Carrara browser back in order, and I can import DUF files with morphs. Thanks so much. This is glorious!