Test Render Self Erases

DondecDondec Posts: 243
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Sometimes when I use the Test Render (x) function, it renders and stays displayed in the viewport. At other times it immediately erases itself at the moment is completes rendering. Sort of a toss up if it stays displayed or not, but if it does self erase it will continues to do so until I mess with my scene a bit.

Anybody else seen this... is there a fix or work around? Thanks in advance.

- Don
Carrara 8.5 Pro Windows 8.1, 64b, Nvidia GTX 560, Wacom Intuos

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

It happens to me sometimes too
    I think moving mouse tends to cause it maybe slight sensitivity of buttons, I have two monitors and notice it more than when I had one.
    guessing this because clicking elsewhere off assembly room screen WILL often erase it
    if you stay on screen you can continue to test render more patches
    only speculating though

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I only have it erase on me if I get bored while it is doing the test render and switch to another program, such as Safari or Mail. Any program actually, I just tend to browse the web and check e-mail when I'm bored.

I suspect the spot render is stored in RAM or some other cache and when you leave and come back to it, it treats it as if you've changed a scene component and flushes it. The only work around I can think of is to let it do its thing before using different apps.

I tend to find that setting my Render room resolution low (the default is nice), and doing my test renders in the render room, it is faster than the spot render tool for complex scenes. Your mileage may vary.

• DondecDondec Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

I actually count on the Test Render vanishing on completion now... and almost pleasantly surprised when it doesn't. Happens even when I leave the mouse in the viewport (not leaving the app, not clicking outside etc).

Interestingly Cinema 4D had the very same problem, but that turned out to be OpenGL thing, it recognizing a "mouse over event" on one of the OGL active widgets in the viewport. I turned OGL off in Cinema and that fixed the problem. I tried that for Carrara too, setting Interactive Renderer to SOFTWARE but didn't seem to help. I don't believe there's another option to turn off OGL elsewhere in Carrara.

- Don

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Sometimes when I use the Test Render (x) function, it renders and stays displayed in the viewport. At other times it immediately erases itself at the moment is completes rendering. Sort of a toss up if it stays displayed or not, but if it does self erase it will continues to do so until I mess with my scene a bit.

Anybody else seen this... is there a fix or work around? Thanks in advance.

- Don

I use the Mac version and see the very same thing.
    It depends on which tool is selected at the time the test render is performed with the "x" shortcut key. See the screen capture below.
    Although I would consider this a bug, I think Carrara has always worked like this. As long as you know which tools to avoid when test rendering, all is good.

Test_render.png
    292 x 279 - 57K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

Well it does it for me using the little camera area drag icon too

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

It does it to me a lot too, and it's definitely not dependent on switching out of the program. I can't say I've noticed what tool I have selected at the time, but I'm going to keep an eye out, and if what de3an says is right, that's the problem potentially solved. Or at least worked around :)

edited December 1969

Well it does it for me using the little camera area drag icon too

I never have any trouble when using the camera Test Render tool icon.
    However... sometimes, if all of the scene's textures have not had a chance to load, and I try to do a test render, it WILL vanish as the textures continue to load and update the display. Once all of the texture have had a chance to load, this no longer occurs for me.

edited December 1969

Perhaps something changed with C8 or later? I don't have the issues you all are seeing. I use C7.2 Pro.

edited October 2014

Perhaps something changed with C8 or later? I don't have the issues you all are seeing. I use C7.2 Pro.

I just tested Carrara 7.2 (which I still have installed on my Mac along with 8.1 and 8.5), and it behaves the same way for me.

As long as you have not chosen to select the preference "Tool Bar Hot Keys are Sticky", the "x" key will only activate the Test Render function momentarily. As soon as you release the "x" key, the function that was last being used will be reselected, and at that point if you were using the Scale, Rotate, or Universal Manipulator tools, the rendered area will be cleared.
    If you were using the Move Tool prior to performing the "x" key test render, the rendered area should remain.

If the preference "Tool Bar Hot Keys are Sticky" is selected, then pressing the "x" key changes the selected tool to the Test Render tool just as if you had used the mouse to select it before doing the test render. In that case the rendered area should remain until you select one of the three above mention tools, or the view is changed in some other manner.

For me, this works very consistently and predictably.

Hot_keys_sticky.png
    386 x 349 - 39K
    Post edited by de3an on
    edited December 1969

Well, it's weird, but I can't reproduce it unless I go to another program or the Finder.

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

This has happened to me for the last several versions...At the moment I am using version 8.1 on a 32 bit machine

One thing I have noticed is that it only happens to me when the scene is using alot of computer resources & does not happen on simple scenes.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

I can't make it happen at all now - must be Repairman's Syndrome!