DaVinci Resolve 17 - Free Version

As advertised in TIME Magazine (!)  - I have not tried this, but the price looks good ...

DaVinci Resolve 17
Hollywood’s most popular solution for editing, visual effects, motion graphics, color correction and audio post production, all in a single software tool for Mac, Windows and Linux!
Free

DaVinci Resolve Studio 17
Includes everything in the free version plus DaVinci Neural Engine, stereoscopic 3D tools, dozens of extra Resolve FX filters and Fairlight FX audio plugins plus advanced HDR grading and HDR scopes.
$295

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

Comments

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    The free version includes most functions, but missing some pro features, should be an updated list somewhere. There is a simpler Cut page for youtubers and mortals, that does not need to go full on Hollywood production. But you can do 8K HDR blockbusters for 295$ with free updates.
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    The dongle version also gets you Fusion 17, if you want to roll Hollywood style...
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

3drendero said:

The dongle version also gets you Fusion 17, if you want to roll Hollywood style...

I won a copy of Fusion a few years ago, I could not get comfortable with it.  The node based approach just does not seem intuitive to me.  I prefer Particle Illusion (same kind of FX?) where you see what you get in real time.  

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

FWIW, The payfor non-dongle (S/N) version enables the Fusion functions that have been built-into Resolve - most functions, I think - but does not enble running of the mentioned standalone Fusion version. I have the S/N version, but would recommend the dongle version if purchasing it is in your future.

--ms

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

mindsong said:

FWIW, The payfor non-dongle (S/N) version enables the Fusion functions that have been built-into Resolve - most functions, I think - but does not enble running of the mentioned standalone Fusion version. I have the S/N version, but would recommend the dongle version if purchasing it is in your future.

--ms

From reading posts a while back in the Blackmagic Design forums, I don't believe that any version of Resolve will carry the full version of Fusion, just perhaps allow communication with it.

If the Node-based workflow of Fusion ever daunted you before, the version of Fusion that comes in Resolve pretty much erases the awkwardness by building a whole new, simplified interface for using it.

Seeing it in action gives the real pros of Fusion use a nagging headache to see, it seems. But to noobs like me, it's a godsend! It's a nice plug n' play with tools that we connect to make changes. I love it!

DaVinci Resolve also includes the incredible Fairlight Audio - previously only available to pro studios due to the fact that it used to require the use of studio controller panels - aka: no mouse and key interface - only those massive sound mixer control panels. Blackmagic Design has done an amazing job of bringing all of this under the hood of Resolve, which began its live as a movie-quality controller panel-only color grading software for pro studios. Now it's becoming an industry standard for an all-in-one solution that can even import/export to the really big tools, like ProTools, Avid and the like.