My Latest Animation Demo

Hello Everyone, This is my latest Demo for my Animation Studio. All 3D content created in Carrara 8.5. Carrara has been the foundation for all my animation work for the last 30 years. I really enjoy using it but My time with it is coming to an end. I will be updating all my Macs this year. Since DAZ is no longer developing Carrara ( a big mistake ) I will have to switch to another 3D app. After much deliberation and research, I have decided to move on to C4D. If I had It my way I would stick with Carrara. Imagagine how much cooler Carrara would be if the development continued. * loud sigh* Oh well.frown I will still use Daz content.

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

msolomon said:

I will be updating all my Macs this year. Since DAZ is no longer developing Carrara ( a big mistake ) I will have to switch to another 3D app. 

Nice work.  Will Carrara not run on the new Macs?  Just to mention it, it runs fine on my fairly new Windows 10 machine, with an AMD 12 core/24 thread CPU.  (The latest VUE also runs great, making animtions feasible that used to take forever.)

• msolomonmsolomon Posts: 209

Steve K said:

Nice work.  Will Carrara not run on the new Macs?  Just to mention it, it runs fine on my fairly new Windows 10 machine, with an AMD 12 core/24 thread CPU.  (The latest VUE also runs great, making animtions feasible that used to take forever.)

Thanks.

Nope, Carrara will not run on the 2020 macs. It works fine on Windows, for now.

Bunyip02 said:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6546231/#Comment_6546231

Just read that post. Sounds promising. I will have to try it.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Greetings, msolomon.

Loved your animation.  Great job, as always.  Eg. https://youtu.be/HPYYnHQTmHA  Red Shoes = two thumbs up.  yesyes

Good luck with C4D.  Hope you drop in from time to time and update the community on your projects and progress.  Yes, eventually, Carrara will not keep up with newer operating systems.  Some of us may keep older dedicated machines that will continue to run Carrara, but eventually the advantages and necessities of keeping up with computer trends will win out.

Wishing you the best.  Please share occasional updates on your activities.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

msolomon said:

Steve K said:

Thanks.

OK, thanks for the response.  Yes, "for now".  It is kind of surprising that Carrara, having not been updated for a decade (?) still runs on Win 10.  But I don't know if that will last forever ... OK, I do know, I just don't want to think about it.  In the past, I have kept an old machine running just to run a particular program, e.g. the discontinued Adobe PageMaker on WinXP.   So I will keep my newish machine running as long as I can - the custom builder lives nearby ...

But eventually that old XP machine died and I moved on to Xara which is better anyway.  But switching away from Carrara would be much tougher, given my embarrassingly large collection of Carrara compatible content (mostly Poser format).  Does C4D handle Poser format content as seamlessly as Carrara?  E.g. mocap files for Poser characters?

Diomede said:

Greetings, msolomon.

Loved your animation.  Great job, as always.  Eg. https://youtu.be/HPYYnHQTmHA  Red Shoes = two thumbs up.  yesyes

Good luck with C4D.  Hope you drop in from time to time and update the community on your projects and progress.  Yes, eventually, Carrara will not keep up with newer operating systems.  Some of us may keep older dedicated machines that will continue to run Carrara, but eventually the advantages and necessities of keeping up with computer trends will win out.

Wishing you the best.  Please share occasional updates on your activities.

Thanks Diomede, I will definanly stay in touch. I actually have a ton of new work I haven't posted yet.

Steve K said:

msolomon said:

Steve K said:

Thanks.

OK, thanks for the response.  Yes, "for now".  It is kind of surprising that Carrara, having not been updated for a decade (?) still runs on Win 10.  But I don't know if that will last forever ... OK, I do know, I just don't want to think about it.  In the past, I have kept an old machine running just to run a particular program, e.g. the discontinued Adobe PageMaker on WinXP.   So I will keep my newish machine running as long as I can - the custom builder lives nearby ...

But eventually that old XP machine died and I moved on to Xara which is better anyway.  But switching away from Carrara would be much tougher, given my embarrassingly large collection of Carrara compatible content (mostly Poser format).  Does C4D handle Poser format content as seamlessly as Carrara?  E.g. mocap files for Poser characters?

I share your pain Steve. From what I gather, Daz content works in C4D as well as Carrara. I also like the interface and relitive ease of use. Lets face it, Not many full featured apps are as easy to use as Carrara but C4D is a close 2nd. Of course it also has a ton of modern features that make production a lot esier. Carrara would have similar modern fetures if DAZ would continue developing it. Carrara is so unique may another company will buy it. Its happened before.wink