Are there Any Shader Tree Tutorials

Are there any good in-depth shader tree turtorials or a list of shader recipeces. My search on Youtube didn't turn up much.

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited March 2021

Bunyip listed a ton of shader resources, including tutorials, in the introduction to this Challenge.  Scroll down to the 6th post.

It may overload you a bit. :)

In Carrara, Multi Channel shaders are the most written about, and the easiest to understand (for me).  Multi Channel Mixers and Layers List are a little more complicated.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

This one is pretty cool in that he (Cripeman) shows various tweaks to some shader aspects that we may not have known before

Here's the Shaders category of his tutorials, but scroll down and check out some of the videos that haven't been assigned to a category yet as well. Shader possibilities are so vast that it would be a huge work to try and cover it all in one volume - especially if we add plugins to the mix.

Cripeman's Shaders videos

Here are GKDantas' video tutorials on shaders, but it seems those might be more basic for what you're looking for, but who knows? He may just have some tips that can help you out!

GKDantas' Shader Videos

and then there's this:

► Comprehensive List of Video Tutorials on Carrara - by FractalDemensia
    The purpose of this thread is to collect, consolidate, and make available a comprehensive list of all video tutorials available on Carrara.

• Thanks for the replies. This is great. It's gonna take me awhile to sort through all this.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

I set that Challenge up as a resource for both experienced and newbie Carrara users, hope it's of help !

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited March 2021

This thread inspired me to offer a recipe.  This is similar to a method used by PhilW in his tutorials, which are amazing and fantastic Carrara learning resources. One difference is the degree to which I rely on environmental functions to separate the areas of the building.  Find the sample file attached as a zip to this post.  

- I start with a simple cube.  

- I change its dimensions to be a plain building. See dimensions here.

- I then use only procedural shaders to make it look enough like a building that it could be used in a background.

- I use "layers list" and "multi-channel mixers" quite a bit.

- For opacity masks and blenders, I use the envionment funcitons of elevation and slope to create a base for the building and a roof.

- I created and saved a base shader using simple colors to separate the shader areas.  I used red, blue, yellow, and green.

- I then created a sample building with a large block base and grungy red brick facade, dotted with gray windows and topped by a dirty roof.

Feel free to adjust and use this shader 'recipe'.  See attached zip.

Primitive Cube is a Building using Only a single Procedural Shader

zip
    zip
    Building Shader Cube Car.zip
    00 insert cube dimensions 30 by 20 by 60.jpg
    1895 x 952 - 149K
    32 test render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 16K
    63 test render bulding with new shader.jpg
    640 x 480 - 24K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited March 2021

I did a small adjustment to have a layer for a crown for the building top.  See attached zip.

zip
    zip
    revised cube building shader car zip.zip
    revision 01.jpg
    640 x 480 - 25K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

very cool Ted yes

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

WendyLuvsCatz said:

very cool Ted yes

+1 yes

• Good work and thanks for the zip file.