Working Around Carrara Import Bug

thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

There's a bug in Carrara that causes some figures to import incorrectly and prevents them from working correctly. For example, 3D Universe Toon Goat the horns do not work correctly and, in the modeling room, editing cannot fix them. Daz has acknowledged this bug (apparently it has something to do with some points being out of bounds) and decided that it does not warrant fixing with an identified work around of load the figure in DazStudio, export it and then use it in Carrara.

Except that this does not work. It almost does, but there are several issues.

1) all constraints are lost
2) the model mesh is separated from the skeleton, but because the skeleton is attached the two cannot be grouped
3) conforming figures cannot conform to the imported figure
4) all morphs are lost

I can live with 1, but 2 is a problem because it cannot be moved into any hierarchy in the assembly room and 3 & 4 makes it basically unusable.

So, since Daz won't support Carrara, I'm hoping someone here has a better work around.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

well I have actually gotten him in
    I forgot how, but have a feeling it either involved DSON import, Poser and Fenrics weight map plugin or maybe collada export
    I use him in iClone but know I have in carrara too but there was a trick, damned if I can remember

edited October 2014

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8692/

yes did then after could not
    a change in carrara build perhaps?
    maybe used C7
    it was something else I DSON fixed

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

well, thanks for the input. I'll see if I can get C7 running.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

I got my goat horny again by doing this:

goat3.JPG
    948 x 728 - 250K
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    I got my goat horny again by doing this:

An amusing image but...

Exporting as Collada doesn't work (and the results appear to be effectively identical no matter the options). Doing "save as" of the scene subset seems to almost work. ERC stuff is broken and constraints are all gone from nearly all the morphs. This makes using morphs tedious at best. It appears to be an annoyance only, but the group is also sized at ~35 feet which is annoying when using '0' to zoom to the figure.

But so far everything else seems to work.

This method also does not work for all figures, only the ones that DazStudio is able to load. Although its support for poser content is superior to Carrara's it isn't perfect either. Sigh.

edited October 2014

I fixed the goat
    select horns
    go to animation
    select IK restraints
    turn off for selection and children
    go to animation again
    zero tree selection
    go to animation IK restraints again
    add ball joint to selection and children
    do same with ears

goat_fixed.png
    1447 x 2000 - 3M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for sharing! That procedure certainly fixed the toon goat. A shame it didn't do anything for chip or cookie :(

But I can at least get better use from the Toon Goat now, and that is much appreciated!

edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

The forum helpfully lost my first attempt to reply here so please pardon brevity, hope I didn't miss a step.

What I settled on for Chip & Cookie was:

1. Open figure in Daz Studio
    2. Save as scene subset
    3. Open duf in Carrara
    4. Fix head (& children) morphs (set range 0..1)
    5. Save as Carrara object
    6. Open in model room
    7. Select skin shading domain
    8. Deselect by name, head polygons
    9. Hide selection
    10. Toggle hide/unhide torso to get Carrara to update display
    11. Save as Carrara object named "... Head"
    12. Open figure body (no head) in Carrara
    13. Parent head to body
    14. Group, name as figure
    15. Save as Carrara object named for figure

Repeat 12..15 for centaur bodies. This results in a grouped figure even for the base figures, but preserves the full body morphs that going through Daz Studio loses.

Caveat: sometimes for reasons unknown, the head figure will lose its morphs. They are still listed, but instead of limited ranges they are completely open. Setting one slider sets all of them to the same value, but there is no effect (no morphs are activated). When this happens the scene file is a loss, I have found no way to recover (deleting the figure, removing unused objects, restarting carrara, loading figure fresh, parented or not does no good). This only appears to affect the head morphs.

Number_01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 277K