Useless MTL files?! (probably solved)

SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
edited March 2021 in Unreal Discussion

Wendy's already tried to help me with this once, but I couldn't make any progress so I'm going to ask again - why won't ANYTHING exported from Unreal as OBJ files properly use their MTL files and load the numerous and absolutely ludicrously named textures in any other program? I tried in Blender and DAZ Studio and textures never get loaded, I've checked the MTL and OBJ files in text editors, and I haven't moved a single item, texture, or folder from their original export locations. Am I doing something wrong or do these just not work?

Post edited by SnowSultan on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822
    edited March 2021

I think the version of DAZ studio you are using makes a difference too

D|S4.11 wont load them for me

I dunno if otherwise it's a setting different to mine as they load in all my programs even Carrara but it cannot save them because the names are too longdevil

and

I haven't moved a single item, texture, or folder from their original export locations.

I do move them all to the root folder as D|S won't drill down as I have said 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

When you say 'the root', do you mean where the OBJ and MTL files are? I've tried that, as well as moving the OBJ and MTL to where the textures are, still nothing. Maybe someone else could confirm that they don't work in 4.15 either (meaning they haven't worked since at least 4.11).

Sorry to bug you with this, it's not that I don't trust you, I just can't figure out if the problem is me or these dumb files.  :)

edited March 2021

SnowSultan said:

When you say 'the root', do you mean where the OBJ and MTL files are? I've tried that, as well as moving the OBJ and MTL to where the textures are, still nothing. Maybe someone else could confirm that they don't work in 4.15 either (meaning they haven't worked since at least 4.11).

Sorry to bug you with this, it's not that I don't trust you, I just can't figure out if the problem is me or these dumb files.  :)

they work for me in the 4.15 beta, I have 4.11 as my release build

and I search for images in the folder and select them all and cut paste them to the top folder for DAZ

I am guessing it is how you are exporting them then

from a scene/level works

from Browser not often depending on how set up

I usually open stuff in browser as a map first

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

and sorry nobody else seems to be doing it by looks cheeky

I think I got it working, one prop came over with most (not all, why??) textures applied once I dumped everything in one folder this time. Will have to try it with other objects, but at least I know it's possible. Thank you very much again for your help.

LOL, after all that frustration and trouble, I get an OBJ in with the diffuse textures loaded, but not the normals. So, I figure I'll load the normals in by hand, and do so - and THEN discover that they're DirectX and not OpenGL, so they're useless in Studio.

OK, NOW I'm officially done trying to get stuff from Unreal to Studio. Man.   ;)

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

well to be fair it's seens more like a daz limitation than a unreal issue, it's because daz is build in a really unique way which make hard to bring non native stuffs to daz if they where not proper build for it, because for what i know you can export stuffs from unreal to almost every other tool like maya or blender or others with almost no issue, because they where more "generic in how they tools work and more compatible with unreal while daz at the start never was made to be even close to be compatible with unreal or things which use the same type of tools like the opengl vs direct x, then is really hard to give any help when it's too specific like that and only few peoples like you are trying to do. this thing.

That's probably very true Ellessarr. Guess we have to hope for native Studio-like support for DAZ figures in other software one day.