Instance Lab and "object missing" error

edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hi guys. I'm a novice with Bryce 7.1 - I created some terrain, I put a tree on it, and then I used the Instance Lab to make a forest on my terrain. When I try to load it, Bryce gives the error "There is an object missing, loading will continue without this object..." and then crashes. I loaded an old version of my scene that had just the terrain and the tree and tried again and got the same results.

Am I doing something wrong? I don't really care too about this scene but I'd like to be able to reliable save my landscapes in the future.

Comments

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited October 2014

How much memory you use in your PC ? What for a version of windows you use ?

I just make a test, i created a Terrein and a tree. I have distributed the tree on the terrain and when I was ready Bryce crashs and I dont know why. Perhaps 8 GB Memory is not enough.

Post edited by Roland4 on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Hi guys. I'm a novice with Bryce 7.1 - I created some terrain, I put a tree on it, and then I used the Instance Lab to make a forest on my terrain. When I try to load it, Bryce gives the error "There is an object missing, loading will continue without this object..." and then crashes. I loaded an old version of my scene that had just the terrain and the tree and tried again and got the same results.

Am I doing something wrong? I don't really care too about this scene but I'd like to be able to reliable save my landscapes in the future.

First things first, this was an error that was common to an earlier version of Bryce. So check you are running the most up to date. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSwkqFCX0Fg

And if not, then that is the cause. And sorry to say, you scene made with the older version is probably irreparably corrupt.

edited December 1969

Hallo David

I have create a scene, distribute trees on the terrain and delete them all. After this i try to distribute trees again and then Bryce crashs. Is this an error ? I have the newest version of Bryce 7.1 Pro.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    Hallo David

I have create a scene, distribute trees on the terrain and delete them all. After this i try to distribute trees again and then Bryce crashs. Is this an error ? I have the newest version of Bryce 7.1 Pro.

Sounds like a bug to me. I don't know if it is related to the error described by the original poster, since I no longer have access to the bug tracker data base which was the repository of this kind of information. I understand now that the process is to send your bugs to the "zen" help desk. But after that, I don't know how you can track them or recover feedback on them. So all I have to go on is my somewhat hazy memory of the bugs and what is recorded on my youtube. Hence all the recording. Before I forget.

edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    Hallo David

Sounds like a bug to me. I don't know if it is related to the error described by the original poster, since I no longer have access to the bug tracker data base which was the repository of this kind of information. I understand now that the process is to send your bugs to the "zen" help desk. But after that, I don't know how you can track them or recover feedback on them. So all I have to go on is my somewhat hazy memory of the bugs and what is recorded on my youtube. Hence all the recording. Before I forget.

Thanks David, I thought I would not have enough memory.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,294
    edited October 2014

@Roland4 - 8 GB memory is more than enough, Bryce, as a 32-bit application can only address 2 GB (with the LAA flag set around 3.5 GB). Filing a bug report can be done here: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/requests/new.

Post edited by Horo on
  • edited December 1969

I have the most recent version (7.1)... running Windows 8 64 bit, 12 GB ram (but Bryce is a 32-bit app from what I understand, so it only uses 2 in any case); since I was able to reproduce it I sent a bug report.

Thanks.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Roland4 - 8 GB memory is more than enough, Bryce, as a 32-bit application can only address 2 GB (with the LAA flag set around 3.5 GB). Filing a bug report can be done here: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/requests/new.

Thank you Horo, but the developement from Bryce has stoped, why should I report an error ?

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071
    edited December 1969

I use instances quite a lot and haven't seen that error. I have had Bryce crash but that is because I tried to have too much in the scene at the one time :)

How are you creating the instances and how many at the one time? I generally only do 20-30 at a time and then un-group them, re-group them and then use the instances in the main menu, not the one on the pop up menu, to instance the group and use those groups to use in the scene.

This image shows a scene with five grouped instances of trees each group is thirty or so instances inside each group.

The second image is the scene rendered.

reindeer-herd-002.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 495K
    forest-instances.jpg
    749 x 529 - 74K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

A few things to consider:

1. Never delete the source model, because if you do you will get a missing object error and possibly a crash the next time you open the scene.

2. Never use the eraser brush to remove instances. In fact, any instance you paint while within the lab needs to remain there until you exit the lab. The only way to safely delete instances is from within the wireframe view, never do so while within the IL.

3. Make sure you use the step Fishtales described, where you un-group then regroup the instances after they are born.

Best of luck.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,294
    edited December 1969

@Roland4 - true, development has stopped 3 years ago but that doesn't mean there won't be another one in the future. DAZ 3D also needs to know that Bryce is still used and has still bugs. But it may not be a bug, just used the wrong way.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

lets hope for a 64bit version of bryce...maybe even GPU controlled render engine also :) ....i know! wishful thinking, but one can only hope :)

edited December 1969

@Horo

Ok, Horo the hope dies last and we need Bryce. I use Instancing Lab seldom and so i can not know what is a bug and what not, but if i sure its a bug i will report it.