Where are these files saved ?

Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
edited October 2014 in Bryce Discussion

Under objects -- > user, i saved my obj files as obp files. Where on the harddisk under Windows 8 are this files saved ? I can not find this files.

Screenshot4.jpg
657 x 405 - 60K
Post edited by Roland4 on

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,294
    edited October 2014

@Roland4 - if you saved them under User, below at left is User. You have Animals open.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Horo

I mean the user at the bottom from the window.

Screenshot5.jpg
    664 x 546 - 227K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

To actually find the .obj files on your hard drive:

In the folder where Bryce is installed there is a folder called Presets, inside which is a folder called Objects, inside which is a folder called User.

Hope this helps.

edited December 1969

To actually find the .obj files on your hard drive:

In the folder where Bryce is installed there is a folder called Presets, inside which is a folder called Objects, inside which is a folder called User.

Hope this helps.

No, not helps. After a long search i have found the files. The files are in this folder (???)

Screenshot6.jpg
    745 x 266 - 109K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Different on a Mac then.

edited December 1969

@Roland4 - generally, if you wonder where Bryce content must be installed to, here's a summary http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf.

You're on your way in the picture above. Just open the Presets folder, there you find the Objects folder. Open this one as well and you find the User folder (you can create your own) and in that one is the library.

path.gif
    1131 x 638 - 32K
    edited December 1969

Thank you Horo, i have now found all files, but i wonder, if there are not in a normal folder like documents. What is a VirtualStore ?

edited December 1969

@Roland4 - glad you found it. I don't know what a VirtualStore is.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I have forgotten the exact details, you will have to google it. It's related to Windows 7 security. However, I do have these notes written down for myself pertaining to the Windows 7 virtual store and Bryce:

In Windows 7, if you try to delete or change a file somewhere within "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Bryce7\Presets\" it appears that it changed but in fact Windows is running off a second copy it secretly created within "C:\Users\\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Bryce7\Presets\". It appears that you need to delete it from both places, although you only need to put the updated one in the x86 folder. Another possible Windows 7 virtual store problem, it seems as though if you copy a .mat file from the Bryce installed location that exists in the virtual store, the copy silently gets corrupted. However you can copy it from the virtual store location instead and it won't be corrupted.

edited October 2014

All what i create over the button "add" or "import" (objects, materials etc) is stored in virtual store but not in the install folder from Bryce.

Post edited by Roland4 on
    edited December 1969

@Sean Riesch - interesting stuff you present here, really. I wasn't aware of this "flaw" in Win7. But then, I never ever instal anything on C if I can prevent it and if I can't certainly never in Program Files(x86). That's probably why I never stumbled over this (lucky me).

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I think theoretically one should not have to worry about the virtual store at all. It's supposed to all be handled behind the scenes by Windows and invisible to the user, and you shouldn't have even know or care that it exists nor ever touch anything there. I don't know why Roland4 doesn't see files in the "normal" location in addition to the virtual store though, I just don't know enough about the virtual store.

We as users (now) know an application isn't supposed to be writing data to the applications folder, although presumably this was not known or followed by the Bryce developers originally. Perhaps if the data files weren't being written here this would not be an issue, so it MIGHT not be a windows flaw, technically, although it seems the end result is still potential trouble for users. Hopefully people will normally not even see the issues I presented anyway, since you will normally not be trying to manually mess with those files, you'd just let the application and Windows do whatever they do. I don't even recall why I was trying to mess with them, I think maybe I had made a change to a Bryce product I was testing and wanted to start clean to verify my change was working, then hit the issue. You would also hit the issue if you tried to back up your files I think; However I always have a backup copy elsewhere that I normally modify, then just copy from there into the Bryce location on a fresh install, thus don't normally hit that either. It is also possible that my corruption issue is some other problem with my system that you won't see, or even that I won't see again, I don't know.