Exterior of West Park and the grounds

I've been slowly collecting the West Park rooms, but it would be cool to have an exterior of it with the surrounding grounds (green spaces, parking lots, sidewalks, gates etc). Both new and abandoned!

Comments

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

Agreed!!! 

And maybe a nurse's station/place for attendants to dispense medications. 

• Agreed!!! 

That would be great! I can almost see cabinet doors with broken glass and even offices trashed!

katherinepoche_e11a5b0e7e said:

certaintree38 said:

Agreed!!! 

That would be great! I can almost see cabinet doors with broken glass and even offices trashed!

Yup, though truthfully I am more interested in the clean textures/versions. I want to do a project set in a modern-day psych ward and am hoping to use West Park. The West Park Ward could use some updating as well. 

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,438

certaintree38 said:

certaintree38 said:

Agreed!!! 

Yup, though truthfully I am more interested in the clean textures/versions. I want to do a project set in a modern-day psych ward and am hoping to use West Park. The West Park Ward could use some updating as well. 

Have you seen the East Park sets? They cover the first few installments of West Park (West Park, West Park Lobby, West Park Ward), and a couple for West Park High School, which could be used with the others.

NorthOf45 said:

certaintree38 said:

certaintree38 said:

Agreed!!! 

Have you seen the East Park sets? They cover the first few installments of West Park (West Park, West Park Lobby, West Park Ward), and a couple for West Park High School, which could be used with the others.

Yes! I have some of them, and some of the "clinical" texture sets as well. smiley

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

I've used the building in Prison Yard as an exterior for West Park. The windows aren't exactly the same, but close enough for use in a background.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,575
    edited March 2021

I think Jack Tomalin has stated before that West Park Does not fit together like dream home did, so an exterior is a little harder

Post edited by pwiecek on
    edited March 2021

pwiecek said:

I think Jack Tomalin has stated before that West Park Does not fit together like dream home did, so an exterior is a little harder

Yeah, the modular nature of West Park makes it difficult to make an exterior - because everybody's interior is different!

Another approach, then, is to make a modular exterior. I've done that before with a similar product from Rendo, but here's the same approach applied to West Park.

The idea is to take a cube primitive with enough divisions to allow you to cut out a window-sized hole with the geometry editor (mine is a 5m cube with 20 divisions, scaled slightly to fit). Then position West Park corridor window sections so the outside of the windows go into those holes. I've also added a couple more cubes to make lintels above the windows - more architectural details could be added if required. Apply some shaders and you get something like this:

You now have a building block that you can use to create lots of instances, and then stack them up to build a West Park exterior of your own design. Give it a flat concrete roof (another resized cube primitive), conjure up a door from somewhere to make an entrance block, and you're good to go.

If you want to be hyper-accurate, you could create appropriately sized, shaped and windowed building blocks from each of the West Park sets, so you have a Ward block, a Treatment Room block, etc. Personally, I wouldn't bother - I think the corridor windows look "west parky" enough to do service for everything - but your milage may vary.

I've attached my block below. If you have Mec4D's PBS Shaders Volume 2 as well as the the basic West Park set, it'll work straight out of the box. If you don't, you'll have to find your own brick and concrete shaders to use instead.

westblock.jpg
    1091 x 876 - 156K
    duf
    duf
    westblock.duf
    Post edited by chris-2599934 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

Riverside Hospital on Brother Island New York is the one that seems to match the best for me for the interiors on Google image search

https://www.loc.gov/resource/gsc.5a09792/

If you're looking for a real West Park, try this one: https://www.whateversleft.co.uk/asylums/west-park-mental-hospital

So spooky and atmospheric! But I always imagined the outside of West Park to be white, maybe made with cinder block instead of brick. Dirty and worn, for sure, but once-upon-a-time white, or maybe beige. 

Also, what's with the pic of all the vacuums? Were they racing them or something? 

• No idea. Lots of Hoover Junior's there though. When I bought my first house my parents gave me one of their wedding presents, a Hoover Junior. I kept it until my MIL gave my wife & I a much better Vax. Strange seeing the Junior again.

Regards,

Richard