Test Animation

Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

http://youtu.be/BM82nsJ8wQA

No Audio recorded. Using the same setup from before, minus the gray plane background, and using higher settings with motion blur enabled. Background is Jack Tomalin's Classic Deco room set. Testing a motion capture file from BoneTech3D's Bonus Wizard Combat Animation Pack with a little of my own manual facial animation, and basic camera animation. A modified Olympia 6, with V6 Anna texture, DAZ/AprilYSH's North hair for G2F, wowie's SSS skin shader and Photo Studio Kit lights, Silver & WildDesigns' Taylor Dress, all available here at DAZ. Rendered in about 14 to 15 hours, a little over 2 minutes 40 seconds a frame, on an AMD 8350 8-core CPU, 16 GB RAM, Windows 7, DAZ Studio 4.6 using 3Delight REYES to render.

Comments

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

Very realistic. Couldn't ask for smoother motions and believable facial animation. Congrats!

However, I don't know anything about the Daz Studio rendering engine, but it seems to me that 14 hours for an 11 seconds animation is a bit long.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited October 2014

Thanks, Argus!

Seeing how movie studios render much, much longer per frame, and 3Delight is used by movie studios, the render engine in DAZ Studio, it's not bad at all, especially for a 1280 x 720 frame render. I could crank up the settings some more to get rid of some problems I'm seeing, but it's all different for different scenes. I've rendered some with one light and less geometry and it can zip through those... around 30 seconds a frame. Pre-rendered backgrounds will help, but I wanted to move the camera in the Classic Deco set.

At least I don't have to waste limited free time resetting everything for a different render engine or program that uses another render engine, or wait months for an update like some folks wanting to use DAZ with Octane. Those using some of the newer render engines are spending a ton of money on Titan cards to get similar looking renders or ones that are even nicer. But the more you throw at them, they are finding the longer the render times are.

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
  • Bryan SteagallBryan Steagall Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

Very nice Kevin!, the only suggestion I would have for you is in the facial animation.. the eyes,

One of the biggest mistakes people make is that they don't put enough attention to the eyes, which will kill an otherwise good animation. You did pretty good here, it looks like at the beginning you had her eyes move up like she was following the spell, it is only a the second part, where she turns back towards the camera, that it looks like she's too static.. The blink is also a little slow in my opinion.. but all of this is minor.. good job!

edited December 1969

Bryan, thanks for the crits and compliments! She is staring at the spell - you picked up on that! :)

How does the last blink compare to the first blink at the beginning? I was debating with myself about that.

I was really pleased with Bone Tech's mocap! It's one of the best I've used.

• Bryan SteagallBryan Steagall Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

Kevin

The first one is much better, more in tune the the real speed of blinking.

Never used that mocap.. since I have my own.. heh heh, but it looks really good. I

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

Very nice rendering. The scene is nicely put together, taken, on its own.

edited December 1969

Thank you, Bryan and Chris!

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

very smooth animation, Kevin
    only animators know how much time could be spent into a 10 seconds movie
    tell me pls what hair is it ?

edited December 1969

Thank you, ruphuss!

North hair http://www.daz3d.com/north-hair