Better CPU for DAZ Studio: AMD or Intel?

13»

Comments

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

I you are on a budget, get an AMD 6 or 8 core processor. Best value. Only downside: they can run hot on their stock coolers (heatsink/fan). Example: the temperatureof my FX 6300 processor reaches 138 degrees Fahrenheitor 58.8 degrees Celcius when I render. Games are less demanding.

Daz only uses the videocard for OpenGL preview, no CUDA. Octane Render uses CUDA. Not sure about Luxrender; I don't want to give you the wrong information.

The new closed circuit liquid coolers work wonders and cost less than $60.

The only problem I have with the AMD processors (note I have preferred them for my home computer for about 10 years now) is the Motherboards do not appear to be progressing.

DDR 4, 64 GB RAM, PCI Express 3 with multiple cards running at x16, m.2 SSD drives are all available on Intel Motherboards. None of those exist on motherboards that take AMD CPU's.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

I you are on a budget, get an AMD 6 or 8 core processor. Best value. Only downside: they can run hot on their stock coolers (heatsink/fan). Example: the temperatureof my FX 6300 processor reaches 138 degrees Fahrenheitor 58.8 degrees Celcius when I render. Games are less demanding.

Daz only uses the videocard for OpenGL preview, no CUDA. Octane Render uses CUDA. Not sure about Luxrender; I don't want to give you the wrong information.

Luxrender uses OpenCL

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Luxrender uses OpenCL

Blender Cycles uses CUDA
    https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/mcjteleblender2

• gioloigioloi Posts: 57
    edited November 2014

The new closed circuit liquid coolers work wonders and cost less than $60.

True, but the economic benefit over the Intel would narrow further.

All in all, taking into account the cost of the whole PC and the small performance gains that an i7 gives over a FX in every environment (not only rendering), I think I'll go with Intel CPU and MoBo. The price difference is justified, IMHO.

I've been an AMD supporter up to the great Athlon 64 (still working in a 10 year old PC of mine). After that, Intel took the lead and still does.

Post edited by gioloi on
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Luxrender uses OpenCL

Blender Cycles uses CUDA
    https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/mcjteleblender2So does Vray, Iray and Mental Ray.

• JazzyBearJazzyBear Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Would I see better performance from 16G ram and an i7 Hexa core or
    i7 Quad core and 24G of ram?

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited November 2014

Would I see better performance from 16G ram and an i7 Hexa core or
    i7 Quad core and 24G of ram?

If both CPU's were around the same speed:
    better overall performance out of the hex core until you ran out of RAM, if you run out of it to begin with.

Post edited by StratDragon on
    edited December 1969

Also note that most RAM is Dual channel. (Though there were some tri-channel motherboards for a while and the new MOBOs are Quad channel.) You are better off putting in RAM based on the MOBO architecture. So for Dual Channel MOBO's put in RAM in pairs (Same specs per stick in each pair), for Quad channel use 4 Identical sticks per set (Max of 2 sets on the new MOBOs) of RAM. In fact each pair should be, ideally, from the same manufacturer and the same model. (Which is why they sell them in pairs.)

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,127
    edited December 1969

Below is my results from rendering Dragonslayer:
    i7 860 @ 2.8 GHz 2.93 GHz, 8GB RAM, mechanical harddrive, Win7 Pro 64 bit
    First render: 1 minute 40.3 seconds
    Second render: 1 minute 39.17 seconds
    bucket size - 32
    Daz Studio Pro 4.7.0.12 - 64 bit

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 2014

My 2 year old Core i7 3930K (6 core/12 threads running at stock speed of 3.5 GHz) is rendering the Dragonslayer image in 1 minute, 6 seconds.

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    edited December 1969

Interesting thread. I too am debating the AMD 8370 upgrade from my Socket 1155 i5-2500K for Daz3D Studio Pro but I do my rendering in Vue Complete 2014...

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    edited December 1969

Has anyone considered these Xeon E-3 cpus

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117316 like the Intel Xeon E3-1231V3 Haswell 3.4GHz which has 4 cores and supports hyperthreading giving you 8 threads? Be careful though as there are some Xeon cpus that DO NOT support hyperthreading....

They are socket 1150 and alot (but not ALL) socket 1150 desktop mobo can accomodate. But do your research at the mobo company's website to make sure the 1150 motherboard does in fact support this cpu.

Cheers

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

If I were considering any Xeon CPUs, it would be the E5 series, not the E3. I think the choices are better in the E5, especially if you want to get into crazy high core-counts.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,598
    edited December 1969

Intel has a new 8 core but you have to buy New DDR4 ram and I have an investment of 64gig of DDR3 ram with my Intel i7 6 core. If I had the money I would buy myself a new Intel 8 core.

• umblefuglyumblefugly Posts: 52
    edited December 1969

Dragonslayer renders here in : Rendering Time: 49.53 seconds

i7 4930k @ 4.5GHz :)

• edited March 2016

Hello all,

I would like to measure the speed with my system and post it here as well.

Where do I get this dragon-slayer set and which rendering settings are used here?

Post edited by red-sea-diver_6c0ccd67f3 on
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,587
    edited December 1969

Smart Content Tab is the easiest way to get to it.

00loaddragon.jpg
    897 x 768 - 181K
  • edited March 2016

Thank you prixat,

I also will give it a try and measure the speed.

:D

Post edited by j.granderath_e28e76d88a on
    edited December 1969

Thank you prixat,

I will give it a try and measure the speed.

Tom

Help / Troubleshooting / View logfile
    If you open that just after having rendered the last part will tell you how long it took.

(I can't play because I deleted the LE version coming with DS - I have the full SubDragon ...)

edited December 2014

With my newly assembled PC:

- i7-4790K @ 4GHz (not overclocked)
    - 32GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz

50.55 secs

All in all, I think I did the right choice with this CPU.

Post edited by gioloi on
    edited December 1969

To be honest, there's also a drawback of the 4790k. Quite a serious drawback for an hobbyst like me that uses the PC for multiple tasks and not only for rendering.
    When involved in rendering, the multitasking is non-existent.
    Even my old Core2 Q6700, after a few seconds of freeze, gave me at least the opportunity to browse the Internet.
    When I start a rendering now, my PC is practically stuck.
    I can't do anything but waiting for the rendering to complete.
    I wonder if, from this point of view, an 8-core AMD would've been better.

edited December 1969

Well, you could make it use less cores during rendering:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/768/

edited December 1969

Hey, thanks! :)

This answers my question, as well. I guess it's better to exclude 1 core out of 8 (AMD) rather than out of 4 (Intel). In other words, with the i7 I'm forced to subtract 1/4 of my overall processing power from rendering only to check a couple of Internet pages.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,895
    edited December 1969

With Hyperthreading, as on the i& I assume, you see each thread as a core as far as Set Affinity is concerned so you can still reduce the load by approxuimately an eight (possibly more like a sixth in practice).

edited December 1969

Ok, then.
    I thought it wasn't possible to deselect a single thread.
    Thank you.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Rather than excluding a (logical) core, just set the rendering process to low priority. I do this all the time with LuxRender, for example. Right-click the process in task manager and select the 'Set priority' option. (With LuxRender, I start it from a script that does "start /low luxrender ..." so it is low priority right from the onset.)

edited December 2014

Both tecniques seem to work. I have to do some speed test to understand what's better.

Post edited by gioloi on
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,587
    edited December 1969

I would agree with the priority setting approach.
    CPU Affinity is more about keeping programs seperate from each other, Process Priority is about the interaction between programs.

Though instead of lowering the priority of Studio I would increase the priority of the browser to 'above normal'.

Have a look at PRIO, its a very useful utility for remembering priority settings so you don't have to set them every time.
    http://www.prnwatch.com/prio/

edited December 1969

As I prefer not to install software, if I can circumnavigate it, I prefer the batchfile process
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/768/#7218