How can I delete a specific object from scene?

launoklaunok Posts: 792
edited November 2014 in Bryce Discussion

Hi there,

I have a model of a cruiser trike in the scene which is messing up the scene as the .obj is very large. It's even larger in size than the buildings!

Unfortunately I haven't made a scene without the trike and now have problems to delete it fully. If I press Cntrl on keyboard and go to the object in the scene, only parts showing. Is this the only way to delete this model? The model is made of lots of parts and it will take a very long time to delete it part by part. Unfortunately it's ungrouped for coloring. If I try to group the trike, other parts in the scene also become red and wants to group together. How can I group this model on it's own? Is it possible? If not, it means I have to create a new scene without trike.

BRYCE_PROBLEM_4.jpg
628 x 472 - 80K
BRYCE_PROBLEM_3.jpg
628 x 472 - 73K
BRYCE_PROBLEM_2.jpg
628 x 472 - 74K
BRYCE_PROBLEM_1.jpg
628 x 472 - 78K
Post edited by launok on

Comments

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited November 2014

How big is the scene in MB ?

Post edited by Roland4 on
  • launoklaunok Posts: 792
    edited November 2014

Roland4 said:

Size is 294 mb, just checked it now. I can't remember quite, but the trike's .obj was also +- 80-100 mb!! Very large indeed.

Post edited by launok on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

top view - select with bounding box - check G - delete

edited December 1969

launok said:
    Roland4 said:

Size is 294 mb, just checked it now. I can't remember quite, but the trike's .obj was also +- 80-100 mb!! Very large indeed.

To big to sent me per mail.

edited December 1969

bigh said:

Sorry, I am not using Bryce a lot. If you refer to the 'bounding box", is it the part that shows next to the model where you can group and ungroup a model? I am a bit lost here, if I try and click on the trike model, the terrain part turns red as well.

edited December 1969

launok said:
    bigh said:

Sorry, I am not using Bryce a lot. If you refer to the 'bounding box", is it the part that shows next to the model where you can group and ungroup a model? I am a bit lost here, if I try and click on the trike model, the terrain part turns red as well.

Hold CTRL and left mouse button then you can select or deselect the right objects in conjunction with shift.

edited December 1969

launok said:
    bigh said:

you are going to have to delete the terrain then .
    left click next to model and drag the box so it cover the model .
    then click G - then hit delete key

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    launok said:
    bigh said:

you are going to have to delete the terrain then .
    left click next to model and drag the box so it cover the model .
    then click G - then hit delete key

you can also use the TAB key to go from part to part and delete them .

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

While you are viewing it from the top camera use the + sign At the bottom right, this enables you to zoom in on the problemsome model. You can use the hand control to move the camera view to directly above the model.

To select the model or parts of the model from the top view Hold Ctrl and Alt buttons together and click on the model, you will then get a screen that shows you the various parts. Select which you wish to delete

I hope that makes sense to you

select_from_top_camera_screen.jpg
    377 x 331 - 90K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

BTW I don't understand why you felt you had to ungroup the model in order to colour it.

You should be able to select the various parts of the model and colour them while it is still grouped.

I often will work with complicated models in a separate document, and then once I have them set up as I want I will save that scene, then copy the model, open the other scene and paste it into there.

edited November 2014

chohole said:
    BTW I don't understand why you felt you had to ungroup the model in order to colour it.

You should be able to select the various parts of the model and colour them while it is still grouped.

I often will work with complicated models in a separate document, and then once I have them set up as I want I will save that scene, then copy the model, open the other scene and paste it into there.

Thank you to all your people's help.

Chohole, I can't remember quite the issue with this trike model as it's a few months back that I was doing the scene. But I think the whole item turned into 1 colour when I had used Bryce's metal colours. But then, I am not very experienced and it's quite some time that I have used Bryce last. Thanks anyway for all your help!

Post edited by launok on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Go to top view. select the ground plane and LOCK IT. You should then be able to click and drag to select the troublesome model without selecting what is sitting on.

• Bonito LilBonito Lil Posts: 72
    edited December 1969

When I need to extract an object or mesh from everything around/under/over it, I select the other things, open the Attributes pane, and move them a precise distance away on the X or Z axes, say 1000 units. That leaves the playing field clear so I can group or ungroup or delete or whatever, on the objects left in the field. Then, when I'm done, I re-select the objects I moved, and subtract the units from that axis to put them back exactly where they were.