Strange MFD issue

sandraylnsandrayln Posts: 39
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I put together this scene with G2F and the MFD and some other things, got everything posed the way I wanted, and saved the scene to come back and render later.

When I opened it up later to render, the MFD had done... something strange and horrible pictured in the attachment. I tried un-fitting the dress and then fitting it back to Genesis, and nothing happened. I tried deleting the MFD, adding it back, and adjusting it again, and same deal: fine until I save and close, then horrible when I open it again. Tried it with textures, without textures, in a different scene... same thing every time.

Help? What's going on and what can I do to fix it/prevent it?

G2FmfdIssue.jpg
1320 x 739 - 208K

Comments

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,134
    edited December 1969

Does this happen with any pose using the MFD? Load G2F, put the MFD on her, choose one of the standard pose presets, then save the scene and close it. When you reopen the scene is there still a problem?
    If there is, it's probably best just to uninstall and reinstall the MFD. If there isn't, then the initial problem will be down to something you have done in your scene, and we can't help you unless we can reproduce the error ourselves. It would be a question of narrowing down the cause by a process of elimination: which poses are preserved, which are not?

• sandraylnsandrayln Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

I just tested it with nothing but g2f in the zeroed pose and the MFD, and it did the same thing. Uninstall and reinstall it is...

Thanks!

edited December 1969

And looks like re-installing the MFD did not work. I'm getting the same result on just loading the basic G2F and the dress as I was getting on my scene. I'm guessing either there's something up with the dress, or there's some morph package or character that I've got for G2F that is causing this, but I'm not sure where to go from here to figure out which.

edited December 1969

Is it only the MFD this happens to? Have you tried it with other similar dresses?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited November 2014

the villain is sometimes the smoothing modifiers, even when yoo least expect it

there's a way to remove the smoothing modifier than put it back in fresh.

jaderail knew the secret :down:

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

I've had weird things happening with G2FMFD too......gets all mangled up for no apparent reason. Clearing the cache and then loading a fresh copy has worked for me.

edited December 1969

It appears to only be the G2 MFD. Evening gown is fine, Corvidae is fine, and on a whim I tried the Genesis MFD, and that one works just fine too.

Aave Nainen, which cache are you clearing?

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Edit-Preferences-DSON Cache files-Clear

edited December 1969

Clearing the cache doesn't appear to change anything, sadly.

edited December 1969

OK, so I've done a ton of experiments over the last few days and what it comes down to is this:

- G2F MFD loads properly as a new item in the scene.
    - It even renders properly.
    - It does NOT, however, seem to save properly.

I've tried:

- Turning off smoothing before saving
    - Changing the smoothing method before saving
    - Saving with G2F in the scene
    - Saving without G2F in the scene (see attached image for those results)
    - Posing the dress
    - Not posing the dress
    - Turning IK and pins off in the figure menu
    - Leaving IK and pins on
    - Uninstalling the MFD and re-installing it (Note: I install stuff manually, so I had to go through and delete all the files.)
    - Clearing the DSON cache, then loading the MFD and saving.
    - Loading the MFD, saving, loading a blank scene, clearing the DSON cache, and then opening the saved file

Short of uninstalling DS, deleting all my content directories, and then re-installing everything - which this is the only product I'm having issues with, so I'm not really inclined to go that far - I'm not sure where else to go from here to try to fix it. It's not a huge issue to have to create and render anything with the MFD without saving the file and coming back to it later, but it is annoying...

g2fmfdissue2.jpg
    728 x 800 - 72K
    edited December 1969

sandrayln said:
    ...I've tried:
    - Uninstalling the MFD and re-installing it (Note: I install stuff manually, so I had to go through and delete all the files.)

Does that include all the DSFs in "..\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\data\Ravenhair\G2FMFD"?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

this was a post how to remove the smooth modifier http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/38812/P15/#574715

have you submitted a bug report? you can reproduce the behaviour, sounds like a bug to me