Good Ubersurface2/Subsurface settings for teeth?

SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,508
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Does anyone happen to have good material settings that use either the Ubersurface2 or the Subsurface shader for making realistic teeth? The old one included in pwSurface 2 doesn't seem to work in Studio 4.6, and I don't know quite enough about advanced SSS to get the milky look that real teeth have.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Does anyone happen to have good material settings that use either the Ubersurface2 or the Subsurface shader for making realistic teeth? The old one included in pwSurface 2 doesn't seem to work in Studio 4.6, and I don't know quite enough about advanced SSS to get the milky look that real teeth have.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

+1

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited November 2014

It varies mostly on the texture you're using. So I ended up not relying on the diffuse to get the look I wanted. I set it the diffuse to 10% with a color of around 200, 200, 200 RGB. A diffuse of 10% means most of the colors will come from the SSS.

The SSS settings are as follows:
    Color 255,255,255
    Strength 90%
    Refraction 1.4
    Scale 1.0
    Backscatter boost 1
    Group ID 1 (make sure it's not sharing the ID with other surfaces).
    Shading rate 4.
    Scatter color 9,25,18
    Scatter Strength 5.0
    Absorption Color 250,185,50
    Absorption Strength 1.0

Rendered with gamma correction enabled and gain/gamma at 1.0/2.2.

Phillip.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 328K
    Bjorn.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 367K
    Nveio.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 328K
    Post edited by wowie on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,508
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much, I will try those settings soon!

edited December 1969

Thank you very much, I will try those settings soon!

You're welcome. Oh yeah, for those renders, I tinted the diffuse color a bit so they don't end up extra white. I was using 207,204,219 RGB.

edited December 1969

Hi, thanks again. I hate to bother you, but when you get a chance, could you check those values again? I just tried them and the teeth come out looking almost like caramel. :)

Did get very good results using your 10% Diffuse/90 SSS with the Subsurface Shader and Whole Milk settings though.

edited November 2014

Hi, thanks again. I hate to bother you, but when you get a chance, could you check those values again? I just tried them and the teeth come out looking almost like caramel. :)

Did get very good results using your 10% Diffuse/90 SSS with the Subsurface Shader and Whole Milk settings though.

That's actually correct. You will need to fine tune the specular on top of that. Plus some bump settings to break the uniform specular on both layers. I've attached renders with and without specular below.

Maya2.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 344K
    Maya1.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 345K
    Post edited by wowie on
    edited December 1969

Different texture and lights, same settings.

Marie4.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 302K
    Marie3.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 303K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

those sample renders look fantastic!

edited December 1969

Interesting, I'm just unable to get the same results with those settings. Maybe because I want the specular to be sharp?...not sure. Thank you very much though, your SSS settings were helpful. I read all about the Subsurface Shader last night and learned a few more things. :)

Here's a sample I made using it and some of the settings you described for your own examples.

Diffuse color: 201, 201, 201
    Diffuse strength: 20%
    Pre SSS - Post SSS: 0.00 (important!)
    Specular Color: 255, 255, 255 (white)
    Specular Glossiness: 99%
    Specular Strength: 40% (using a map)
    Shading Rate: 8.00
    Subsurface Color: 223, 217, 204
    Subsurface Strength: 80%
    SSS Material Type: Wholemilk (important!)

If you have ideas for improvements, please post them. These results might still be a little ivory-like, but I think it's a decent start. Thanks. :)

teef.jpg
    598 x 664 - 167K
    edited November 2014

Interesting, I'm just unable to get the same results with those settings. Maybe because I want the specular to be sharp?...not sure. Thank you very much though, your SSS settings were helpful. I read all about the Subsurface Shader last night and learned a few more things. :)

Here's a sample I made using it and some of the settings you described for your own examples.

Diffuse color: 201, 201, 201
    Diffuse strength: 20%
    Pre SSS - Post SSS: 0.00 (important!)
    Specular Color: 255, 255, 255 (white)
    Specular Glossiness: 99%
    Specular Strength: 40% (using a map)
    Shading Rate: 8.00
    Subsurface Color: 223, 217, 204
    Subsurface Strength: 80%
    SSS Material Type: Wholemilk (important!)

If you have ideas for improvements, please post them. These results might still be a little ivory-like, but I think it's a decent start. Thanks. :)

I think your forgot to incluse SSS scale - it's Shading Scale with AoA's Subsurface shader. I've tried your settings and modified it a bit:
    Specular Glossiness 95$
    Shading Scale 0.3
    Subsurface Strength 50%

Those settings should be quite close to my SSS settings with US2. Looks a bit off inside the mouth though (too greenish). You can tone down the diffuse color so it has less green or more red/blue.

Unfortunately, there's no way to get the same specular settings as US2, because that shader doesn't only have sharpness (or specular falloff) settings, but can apply fresnel to specular as well. You need both to have correct specular response.

2.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 465K
    1.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 460K
    Post edited by wowie on
    edited November 2014

Can you describe your lighting setup? Every time I try and replicate your results, they're always too dark. I'm using an AoA Ambient light at 60% and a Distant Light at 70% facing the figure...should be more than bright enough.

edit: Oh and could you also tell me a little about your specular settings? I can't come close to making those teeth anything but brown with Ubersurface2 specular settings. Thanks very much.

Post edited by SnowSultan on
    edited November 2014

Can you describe your lighting setup? Every time I try and replicate your results, they're always too dark. I'm using an AoA Ambient light at 60% and a Distant Light at 70% facing the figure...should be more than bright enough.

edit: Oh and could you also tell me a little about your specular settings? I can't come close to making those teeth anything but brown with Ubersurface2 specular settings. Thanks very much.

Four distant lights and two UberArea lights arranged in a cross lighting setup (a modified three point lighting). Three distant lights at 84% from the front, back left and right with the fourth distant lights straigth forward at 60%. UberArea light planes placed at about 45 degrees angle left and right to the world/scene center.at 345% with a scale of 300 to get soft shadows.

Should be available on the store soon, including some character MATs based on some Gen4 Elite textures .

Here's a sample render with the setup
    http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/43305

Post edited by wowie on
    edited December 1969

That's an excellent render, thank you for sharing (although you might want to hide the exact values if you're going to sell it). ;)

I'm just not having any luck getting things to look like you have, but I'm fairly satisfied with the Subsurface Shader results I got with the help of your Ubersurface2 values. Thank you very much for the information and I look forward to seeing your lights in the store!

SnowS

edited December 1969

That's an excellent render, thank you for sharing (although you might want to hide the exact values if you're going to sell it). ;)

I'm just not having any luck getting things to look like you have, but I'm fairly satisfied with the Subsurface Shader results I got with the help of your Ubersurface2 values. Thank you very much for the information and I look forward to seeing your lights in the store!

SnowS

Thank you.

I don't mind sharing the info. It's just one of a collecion of light sets. The lights themselves won't give you the results I got. You will need the correct MATs. :)