I think I need to edit weight maps -- tutorial or advice needed

ModernWizardModernWizard Posts: 850
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi all. I'm converting Mada's Essence for Genesis to G2F. Everything has gone smoothly except for the sleeves. I ran them through the transfer utility and then modified them in the geometry editor to assign any parts of the sleeves to collars rather than chest or pectorals.

Even after modifying face groups and regions to move all the appropriate polys to the collars, some polys are still "sticking" when G2F raises her arms. I've reached the limit of my skills and don't know how to fix this.

I suspect I'll have to modify the weight maps for the converted sleeves, but I don't have a clue about how to do this. Does anyone have detailed guidance or links that might help me in this situation? Thank you.

--MW

essence.jpg
513 x 494 - 54K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,151
    edited December 1969

Essentially you have to use the Geometry Editor to select the sticking polygons, then switch to the Node Weight Map Brush and select the affected map(s) in Tool Settings, then fill with the correct weight for that part of the model (right-click, Weight Editing>Fill Selected).

• ModernWizardModernWizard Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

Hi Richard. Thanks for the reply. How do I know what the correct weight map is? Does Daz Studio automatically fill that in?

--MW

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,151
    edited December 1969

You can try selecting polygons connected to the bad area that are bending correctly, then in the Selection Analysis tab of the Tool Settings pane you can read off the current weights.

• ModernWizardModernWizard Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

I must admit, Richard, that your instructions are leaving me in the dark. I ended up getting around the problem of "sticky" polys, however, by using Transfer Utility on the source item, Essence for Genesis, to transfer the weight maps from the Gen1 version to the G2F conversion. Worked like a charm!

--MW