A Stationary Stone Gathers Moss

evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
edited July 2012 in Carrara Discussion

Been working on some some moss. It's a combination of hair, meta-ball object, spline object, surface replicator and various shader functions.

Picture_1.png
707 x 561 - 630K
Moss.jpg
800 x 600 - 301K
Post edited by evilproducer on

Comments

• Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,234
    edited December 1969

Looks good!

• edited December 1969

Needs a shave!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I tried using just shaders, but it didn't look right. From a distance it wasn't awful, but any kind of closer angle, just didn't do it for me. The hair so far has looked the best. I'm thinking of using either the plant editor or making an object that would more closely resemble the photosynthesizing part of the moss and replicating it. Kind of depends on how much work I want to put into it.

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

I think the moss looks really good. Nice idea to use "hair" Good luck in developing this idea further

• dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Interesting rendering.

I LOVE the thread title! :-)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

Hey Evil, sorry I missed this! Hope you are recovering well and not got too much moss :)

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

OK what am I missing. This thread pre-dates even me, but I did figure out to do this for moss.   Is Kev ill?  surprise

With Misty missing, too it's getting a bit scary here... especially after losing Chohole sadI am hoping our Carrara family all get well and return!  I will be lurking for the immediate future, but will still be reading when I can.

Take care! heart Silene

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811

SileneUK said:

OK what am I missing. This thread pre-dates even me, but I did figure out to do this for moss.   Is Kev ill?  surprise

With Misty missing, too it's getting a bit scary here... especially after losing Chohole sadI am hoping our Carrara family all get well and return!  I will be lurking for the immediate future, but will still be reading when I can.

Take care! heart Silene

AFAIK he is OK, just went on a camping/hiking trip, has a new YouTube channel too

I have not watched it yet blush but just subscribed

SileneUK said:

Take care! heart Silene

sorry Silene, Evil is alive and kicking luckily - he and his wife had Covid earlier this year - that's what I was alluding too.

Evil maybe tempted to post in his own thread if we wake him up :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811

watch his video, it's really good (I did after posting it)

WendyLuvsCatz said:

watch his video, it's really good (I did after posting it)

hey that's terrific! Evil missed his calling! oR maybe he has found it.

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219

Evilproducer,

maybe add a lime green highlight color to the moss.smiley

moss.jpg
    720 x 450 - 138K

McGuiver said:

Evilproducer,

maybe add a lime green highlight color to the moss.smiley

Nice idea, ! Evil hasn't been around for a while but I'll pass that on via facebook.!

• Hey all, still alive and kicking. Thank you for the concern. Sorry I haven't been around. I kind of had a couple things going on. One was that I was getting a little burned out artistically a few years ago, as far as 3D artwork was concerned. Then I took a major step forward in my other passion, community theatre. It may not sound like much, but I directed four plays in four years and acted in a couple more. We choose our plays well in advance, and when I have a play to direct, I pretty much read it, and reread it many times, and think about the thing constantly.

As Headwax mentioned, both my wife and I, had Covid. Thankfully I didn't need hospitalization, but it was pretty bad, and I have some lingering effects. For instance, I have a bit of brain fog which makes it difficult to concentrate on mentally challenging tasks for any length of time. I think it is getting better, but it can still be a struggle sometimes to just motivate myself to do anything that requires the use of the old noodle.

evilproducer said:

Hey all, still alive and kicking. Thank you for the concern. Sorry I haven't been around. I kind of had a couple things going on. One was that I was getting a little burned out artistically a few years ago, as far as 3D artwork was concerned. Then I took a major step forward in my other passion, community theatre. It may not sound like much, but I directed four plays in four years and acted in a couple more. We choose our plays well in advance, and when I have a play to direct, I pretty much read it, and reread it many times, and think about the thing constantly.

As Headwax mentioned, both my wife and I, had Covid. Thankfully I didn't need hospitalization, but it was pretty bad, and I have some lingering effects. For instance, I have a bit of brain fog which makes it difficult to concentrate on mentally challenging tasks for any length of time. I think it is getting better, but it can still be a struggle sometimes to just motivate myself to do anything that requires the use of the old noodle.

Glad you are recovering, even if slowly. I can imagine how draining it must be organise th e plays you do. It's like illustrating a text but with other elements that aren't necessary within your control. Hopefully you'll get back to Carrara !

Thinking of you and glad to know you are recovering. Your theatre work is very demanding, but it must be also very rewarding!

heart Silene

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Greetings, EvilProducer.  So glad you posted, that you are recovering from Covid, and that you continue your passion in community theater.  Sorry to hear about the lingering effects of Covid; hoping a full recovery is not too far off.  

edited November 2021

Headwax said:

Glad you are recovering, even if slowly. I can imagine how draining it must be organise th e plays you do. It's like illustrating a text but with other elements that aren't necessary within your control. Hopefully you'll get back to Carrara !

Sorry if I've given the wrong impression. My group didn't do any e-plays. That was all prior to lockdown. Our last play actually ended on a Sunday in March. 2020, and lockdown began on the following Tuesday. My wife and I, also contracted Covid in July of 2020. That's what I meant about the brain fog being so frustrating- because for all that time every time I tried to do anything that required any kind of mental effort, I would get fatigued and/or distracted. It didn't help that we were in an "essential" industry, so we were working our Kiesters  off.

edited November 2021

Double post

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,689

Diomede said:

Greetings, EvilProducer.  So glad you posted, that you are recovering from Covid, and that you continue your passion in community theater.  Sorry to hear about the lingering effects of Covid; hoping a full recovery is not too far off.  

+1 yes

edited November 2021

Bunyip02 said:

Diomede said:

+1 yes

Thanks again everybody! My brain fog has been getting less, so that is a good thing. As Wendy mentioned above, I did go on a wilderness camping trip this past summer to the BWCAW, and I've cracked Carrara open and done some 3D work. Nothing too spectacular I'm afraid. My theatre group has also selected our next play, was able to secure our venue and also the license. I made this image for our group's FB page hinting to our followers what our next play would be. I made everything except the floor which I kit-bashed from a DAZ model because I wanted the floor texture.

Mousetrap.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 505K

Ooooh, cooool... The Mousetrap. One of my faves. And I saw it in London in the 80s where is still runs and has been since 1952 (only interrupted by Covid). It's almost as old as me!

laugh  Silene

evilproducer said:

Bunyip02 said:

Diomede said:

+1 yes

Thanks again everybody! My brain fog has been getting less, so that is a good thing. As Wendy mentioned above, I did go on a wilderness camping trip this past summer to the BWCAW, and I've cracked Carrara open and done some 3D work. Nothing too spectacular I'm afraid. My theatre group has also selected our next play, was able to secure our venue and also the license. I made this image for our group's FB page hinting to our followers what our next play would be. I made everything except the floor which I kit-bashed from a DAZ model because I wanted the floor texture.

great to see Carrara being used in the 'real ' world