SOLVED Question about material files

Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Okay, I have a noob question, but I realized I may be mistaken so I was hoping someone with more knowledge might be able to set me straight.

I have recently bought a lot of M4/v4 files.

In most files they come with clearly labeled Poser and Studio CF mats. One for each flavor.

Rarely I'm finding some character files where there is only 1 set included, even though the sets are labeled both DAZ studio and Poser compatible in the store. I initially and perhaps erroneously concluded these mats were poser only, because they seem to be located in a poser directory.

But now I'm wondering if a script applies them correctly. I'm not sure.

Here is Max for M4. His mats are supposed to be DAZ studio and Poser Compatible.

I can see now when I hover over the beard selection that it says both, but all the other figures I've purchased so far from this PA have both Poser and Studio CF files. So not clear, if this is a Poser texture, or if the icons are applying whichever is appropriate.

Thanks for answering my noob question. =-)

Untitled.jpg
593 x 388 - 61K
Post edited by Serene Night on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The icons with the 'scroll' symbol, are there to show you that in this case, the DAZ Studio material will be applied. These icons will not appear like that in Poser.

If you look at the File Names: area of your image, both material files have exactly the same name, one has the extension PZ2 (Poser MAT pose file) and the other is DS. Because they have exactly the same name, they can both be installed in Poser Formats in the Runtime/Libraries/Pose folder (normally DS doesn't 'see' DS content in the runtime folder)

It was a handy way of doing things in my opinion, Poser users never knew that the DS materials were there, as Poser ignored the DS script files, and DS users could clearly see an icon to show that there was a DS MAT available, and that would be used instead of the Poser one. It also meant that DS users did not need to load the figure from Poser formats, then go to DS Formats to load the material.

Hope that all makes sense?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

Yes it does! Thanks for educating me. =-)