Poser weight-mapping to TriAx conversion

3diotic3diotic Posts: 24
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello all,

We're working on a custom figure that's presently being developed in PP2014 and is therefore using it's weightmapping system for rigging. I've read plenty of older reports stating that DS will mangle non-TriAx weighmapping when you try to load it but this is all from at least a year ago now.

My question is, has there been any recent improvements or development around being able to read Poser weightmapped figures in DS?

We'd love to be able to offer the figure to the DS community but we can't really consider totally redoing the weightmapping from scratch if that's what it takes. We need some method of programmatically converting it.

Thanks,
Andrew

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,019
    edited December 1969

DS doesn't even try to read weight mapping from a CR2, I'm afraid. You might try Collada, but to do both you would ahve been better rigging in DS and then exporting to CR2 (or just using the DSON Importer) for Poser.

• 3diotic3diotic Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

Is there any documentation on the TriAx format or specifications, such as syntax or compiling method?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,019
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure how it will help but http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/dson_spec/start

• 3diotic3diotic Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

Hmm, is it possible for DS to re-ingest content from DSON?

For instance, if you edited parameters under weighted-joint is it possible to reload that edited data back into DS?

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

3Diotic said:
    Hmm, is it possible for DS to re-ingest content from DSON?

For instance, if you edited parameters under weighted-joint is it possible to reload that edited data back into DS?

Not that way. It is a one way process.
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited November 2014

3Diotic said:
    Hello all,

We're working on a custom figure that's presently being developed in PP2014 and is therefore using it's weightmapping system for rigging. I've read plenty of older reports stating that DS will mangle non-TriAx weighmapping when you try to load it but this is all from at least a year ago now.

My question is, has there been any recent improvements or development around being able to read Poser weightmapped figures in DS?

We'd love to be able to offer the figure to the DS community but we can't really consider totally redoing the weightmapping from scratch if that's what it takes. We need some method of programmatically converting it.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Okay, not an expert like others but this has been my experience with clothing that was made for Poser and converting it for Dawn. I load the item onto the figure. You will get a box that goes through detailing that the weightmapping is wrong. I ignore that and then go to the parameters tab and use the fit to option to load the autofit dialogue box and then leave the top as none because I'm going from the same figure to the same figure. Then I choose a projection template and I hit okay. You will need to modify the weight mapping unless you have a really good projection template. I would suggest that the first thing you do if you are serious about supporting both communities is create some really good projection templates in DS that would cut the time spent down which ever way you decide to go.

People who have been creating for both programs for Dawn have said that it is easier to convert from DS to Poser and it is less work that way as you can export it as a CR2 there are links to tutorials over at Hivewire.

Post edited by Pendraia on