ZBrush multi material workflow

Cross22Cross22 Posts: 66

Just getting started with ZBrush.. I am trying to find out the best workflow for going back&forth; between DAZ and ZBrush. Based on what I have found so far, the most important step seems to be enabling Preferences/Import/Import Mat as Groups. I can then apply a texture for preview purposes and do some simple changes. Exporting it, picking Update Base Geometry in DAZ and replacing vertex positions works!

Now let's say I have a low-poly, multi-material mesh. I can get that into ZBrush and add some polygons. How can I get this back into DAZ with multiple materials intact ? Using Update Base Geometry fails because the vertex count has changed. Doing a full import I can get the mesh, but it only has a single material group :-(

Post edited by Cross22 on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,131
    edited December 1969

Are you exporting the mesh from ZBrush and then importing that, or are you using GoZ?

• Cross22Cross22 Posts: 66
    edited November 2014

Are you exporting the mesh from ZBrush and then importing that, or are you using GoZ?

I have tried both. With GoZ I get a warning "The topology of the object has changed. Import as new object". I can do that import, but again I lose all my materials in that case.

Comparing the two approaches, GoZ seems to be even worse. Just exporting the unchanged mesh/tool causes it to pop up the error. Whereas with Update Base Geometry at least I can update the mesh as long as no new vertices were added.

topo.png
    239 x 223 - 14K
    Post edited by Cross22 on
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

You may want to try the tutorial in my signature.

One of the things you need to make SURE to do is to use the lowest resolution on your figure when you transfer for a morph.

Until DAZ feels like sharing the secret of HD morphs, we are going to be stuck at the lowest resolution level for our morphs.

• Cross22Cross22 Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

Keep in mind I do not want to create a morph. I want to take an existing multi-material model and give it a bit of curvature in areas where there are few polys.
    I can do that in Blender, but that program is yucky, so I want to do it in Zbrush instead. The problem is I lose all material information when bringing it back from ZBrush.