Staring at empty Carrara assembly room, 20 minutes now

This is it.  officially in production.  staring at my empty carrara scene, 30 minutes of 2nd guessing

and i used to think the blank page was terrifying.

what a heavy decision, 30 or 3,000?
I never learned how to make use of the large scale.

I want to start with a storm tossed ocean.
Ocean primitive, no brainer there.  omg panic

who doesnt love a lava ball smiley

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited April 2021

scene inventory

set scale
    sky
    ocean, cliffs, imperial barge, a life form
    clouds
    camera up, god level or ground level, below ocean surface level
    draft render settings. light, hard shadows or soft shadows?
    surface emitters
    the ocean can show  how fierce the weather is, 

its only 8 pm.  theres time. lol

is it night or day.
    what am i forgetting?

forgot the scene inspiration

i just remembered the lovely foaming water shader on carraracafe

Post edited by Mistara on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i get sidetracked from the "Art" by the technical difficulties of using content not meant for carrara.

why do i feel like i need to showcase ds content in carrara.  its not about show casing,

at the root, its my world building software of choice.

was never able to learn the sphere to dust. was so beautiful. the colours mann, the colours.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Mystiarra said:

... the technical difficulties of using content not meant for carrara.

Amen.  I long ago gave up on trying to use DS content in Carrara.  Formats for me are Carrara (not much new, but lots in my collection), Poser (vast amount in my collection, and lots new, just not at DAZ), and OBJ.  I don't feel like I'm missing much.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Mystiarra said:

was never able to learn the sphere to dust. was so beautiful. the colours mann, the colours.

Dimension Theory has a brilliant and imaginative mind. He was really into forces and physics experiments at that time - devoted to it. I think that some of those simulations were actually being performed using lights as the objects and using some of the light effects to get them to physically show in the camera. 

When performing magic, it's good to remember that we don't have to see everything that's going into it. In 3D we have the ability to use things to get a result, and then hide or even discard them before rendering. An example being that we might possibly be able to use a Point force to attract a bazzilion lights to a sphere that we can't see, then instantaneously switch polarity of the point force to blast them away from the sphere, or have another force become stronger than the point force and blow them off the sphere. The sphere itself, even though it can't be seen in the render, can also be changed in many ways - even exploded!

I know that if I was in a position that drove me to want to figure out how to do such an effect, I'd try and think like a visual effects artist who has to create the effect for a feature film that I'm getting paid for.

Focus hard on the visuals of what must be achieved, and then examine ways that I might use to create the effect myself. "Simple" is the best place to start, but let the results of the simple tests take me further - or even decide that I need to try an entirely different path.

I think that DT's other title: Light As Substance" is a clue as to what we're seeing - lights (Carrara lights) being used as the substance of various physics simulations.

The articles on Particles and/or Physics in the 3dXtract ezines might be of help as well.