Carrara Serenity

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Snapped a pic, but can't find my Camera cable. :down:

edited December 1969

Maybe I can find my cable when I get snowed in. A winter storm warning starts tomorrow (Monday) at 6:00 AM and runs to Tuesday at 6:00 PM. According to predictions, my area of the Dairy State can expect 10 to 16 inches (25.4 to 40.64 centimeters) by the time it is done. It's too early for this kind of friggin' white excrement!
    >:-(

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

I am messy

DSC_0092.JPG
    2000 x 1329 - 840K
    DSC_0091.JPG
    2000 x 1042 - 675K
    DSC_0089.JPG
    2000 x 1226 - 714K
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited November 2014

sukyL said:
    Dartanbeck what a great idea! Everyone, it's such a treat to get a little glimpse of the real people behind the avatars.

Here is my Carrara serenity. However, I might be more in the Carrara chaos camp. I run Carrara on an iMac. The desk was my grandfather's and is an Arts & Crafts antique. I'm walled in by some of the pulp magazines and paperbacks my husband and I collected, but can't find a place for yet. The large metal object to the right is a water heater from 1900. It's incredibly ornate for something typically consigned to the basement. I have plans to put a robot head and some arms on it for fun.

Wow... I have seen one of those Ruud heaters before but can't remember where! Surrounded by books, YAY! Is that a drive-in-movie speaker hanging off the old metal file cabinet??? :wow:

I am messy

So many of you make music, that is really impressive. I miss my dearly departed cats, Tigger & Talie . :down: Ahhhh...another armchair user. This is starting to look like the way to go! :cheese:

Maybe I can find my cable when I get snowed in. A winter storm warning starts tomorrow (Monday) at 6:00 AM and runs to Tuesday at 6:00 PM. According to predictions, my area of the Dairy State can expect 10 to 16 inches (25.4 to 40.64 centimeters) by the time it is done. It's too early for this kind of friggin' white excrement!
    >:-(

Your snow forecast has made news here in the UK! The foliage was nice, but I do not miss the snows of New Hampshire. :shut:

You all have nice setups, but how can you people work with only ONE monitor? I

On my list for someday... but at present as a new user, I have trouble working with what is on my one monitor. :blank:

Silene great setup for your back - actually it looks like a nice set-up for relaxing while working on the computer too. I can commiserate with you and Dart about back problems. I had back issues for several years, and it's finally feeling better. I can go most days now without any serious pain, and pain free most of the time. Take care of your backs!!! I never realized how debilitating a "bad" back could be until I hurt mine.

Thanks DustRider... I am convinced that using computers wrecks your anatomy. I have been using them since 1981 and was fine for about the first dozen years. Then I left office work and felt so much better. Once I went back to computers as a job in early 2000s, it all came back but much worse as I was older and I believe contributed to my problems and it wasn't just the DIY work on our building. I don't want to give up on modelling now, but need to find a way to save my back from future injury. :down:

More of these please, very inspiring. I'd like to see SciFiFunk's setup for one! :)

:-) Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Snapped a pic, but can't find my Camera cable. :down:
    Bummer!
    < Voice inside your head> "Must ---- Find ---- Cable" "Must ---- Upload ---- Image"
    Who... me? Nope, I didn't say anything....
    edited December 1969

I am messy
    What might appear Messy to some, is actually layers of organized inspiration to others ;)
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I am messy
    What might appear Messy to some, is actually layers of organized inspiration to others ;)

I so agree with that sentiment. If I tidy things up I can never find them again. :coolsmirk: And my desk gets invaded if I leave open spaces

clean_desk.jpg
    800 x 600 - 375K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I am messy

I so agree with that sentiment. If I tidy things up I can never find them again. :coolsmirk: And my desk gets invaded if I leave open spaces Aww!
    "Say, how did that milk get on my... oh... Hi Trixie! No... you're fine... I was just looking for the source of all of this stuff getting on my... Trixie, No!"

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

I don't accept any animal close to my computers, except me…:-P

edited December 1969

Well that old boy was 18 when the photo was taken, so it was difficult to retrain him. The 2 hew ones are being discouraged from invading the desk, with mixed results I might add.

edited December 1969

Kitty wants the desk, kitty gets the desk. If you own a cat, it is you who is being trained. Accept it and it will go easier for you.

Resistance is futile.

we-are-the-borg-kittens-kittens.jpg
    640 x 568 - 73K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

Here's my selfie... waiting for Carrara 9 Pro ;-)

workstation_selfie.jpg
    1000 x 676 - 659K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:

heh heh :)
    heh heh heh heh
    shouldnt t he city you are in have disintegrated and become nothing but dust as well?

edited December 1969

you Novacastrians.. lol

yep.. but I do have the latest JB-HiFi catalogue to look thru.. while I'm waiting

• Max TurladMax Turlad Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

Ciao,

here I am. Me too. :-)

DSCF9210.JPG
    800 x 600 - 375K
    DSCF9208.JPG
    800 x 600 - 360K
    DSCF9206.JPG
    800 x 600 - 380K
    edited November 2014

chohole said:
    Well that old boy was 18 when the photo was taken, so it was difficult to retrain him. The 2 hew ones are being discouraged from invading the desk, with mixed results I might add.
    Spray mister with water did the trick for me! :-P

Ciao, here I am. Me too. :-)

I am speechless at your inventive use of space and the muscle of your kit!! :ohh:

Your bones picked clean by your fancy pigeons or did you invite EvilP around? Nice rugby photo? League in the north?... You/your family? :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More of these please.. great idea Dart for the topic, good for inspiration.

I need to get myself some seating and will have to hurry...husband has suddenly decided he wants a recliner from Thomas Lloyd..ack!

:wow: Silene

edited December 1969

Thank you Silene

In fact I have enough space in my attic. ;-) In the first image there is the video/graphics workstation. In the second a detail of my PC "naked". The last picture shows the corner of music and audio post-production. My wife surrendered and let me quiet to my audio/video fantasies, but as you can see is always (almost) everything in order and clean. Am I that I deal with the housework in this environment. I'm lucky because my son shares with me these passions.

Ciao, Max.

edited December 1969

Silene I find that spray misters with water are not too healthy to use near computer equipment. Also the 2 new cats seem to quite like water, will paddle in it, and play with drips from the taps. They are getting the idea simply by being removed everytime they approach my desk.

Himself on the other hand does tend to compromise at his little desk, but there again he isn't a serious computer user. Only plays games, like card games and Scrabble and Cribbage and stuff.

a_compromise.jpg
    600 x 800 - 367K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Silene I find that spray misters with water are not too healthy to use near computer equipment. Also the 2 new cats seem to quite like water, will paddle in it, and play with drips from the taps. They are getting the idea simply by being removed everytime they approach my desk.

Himself on the other hand does tend to compromise at his little desk, but there again he isn't a serious computer user. Only plays games, like card games and Scrabble and Cribbage and stuff.

Your himself sounds like mine... he must have easily played one million games of solitaire since we had our first computer back in 1993! He doesn't do much internet at all. Email? Forget it. He hates typing and doesn't get on with Dragon. Says it's easier to get me to do it.

Shame about water and computers. :smirk:

:-S Silene

edited December 1969

sbilf said:
    Ciao,

here I am. Me too. :-)

Oh Yeah!!! Love the Big Blue! My favorite case is my Thermaltake Big Blue but, alas... it is currently retired.
    Side(in)_View.jpg
    640 x 480 - 50K
    Front.jpg
    640 x 610 - 28K
    edited December 1969

SileneUK said:
    chohole said:

Your himself sounds like mine... he must have easily played one million games of solitaire since we had our first computer back in 1993! He doesn't do much internet at all. Email? Forget it. He hates typing and doesn't get on with Dragon. Says it's easier to get me to do it.

Shame about water and computers. :smirk:

:-S SileneRosie LOVES computer solitaire! She also plays all of the Big Fish hidden object mysteries. Fun, Fun!!
    Speaking of fun, this is fun! Cut loose, take some shots of the work/play zone, and have a chat about it! Love seeing all the setup images! Awesome!
    Stezza, you look a bit undernourished, my friend. Come on over, we'll put some meat on those bones! ;)

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited November 2014

My man cave.

It's dark to match the mood of the film. Occasionally a sound from outside disturbs my deep thought.

Food is supplied to me on a good day, otherwise only exhaustion or double rendering keeps me away.

Apparently there is an outside as well. The bills remind me that life is going on at the same time....

DSC_0003s.jpg
    1048 x 1862 - 296K
    DSC_0002s.jpg
    1048 x 1862 - 260K
    DSC_0001s.jpg
    1048 x 1862 - 274K
    Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
    edited November 2014

My man cave.

It's dark to match the mood of the film. Occasionally a sound from outside disturbs my deep thought.

Food is supplied to me on a good day, otherwise only exhaustion or double rendering keeps me away.

Apparently there is an outside as well. The bills remind me that life is going on at the same time....

That's your monitor??? :bug: Is there another lurking there? Food? Just don't tell us you have a catheter and a nose tube. :-/

But I love the "padded walls"... wish I could buy some for our neighbours in the next terrace house sometimes! Where do you get those panels?

:-) Silene

ETA: I have taken a new step and ordered a chair for my workstation.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CA1DIGA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Just need to sort the footrest now.

Husband did not get the pricey recliner, we got a three piece suite with two recliners and a 3 seat sofa for the same price as one pricey recliner! But since the recliners don't buzz, I got the computer chair that does. Cheap thrills! %-P

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

SileneUK - Nice chair!

Padded is the way to go. Massage as well. Nice.

The padded walls are acoustic foam. They are not cheap. Egg boxes would do a similar job. They do kill the reverb in the room though which is good for recording.

The real noise stoppers come in the form of secondary glazing (with acoustic laminate glass), but sadly not good enough to block the immediate neighbors and their dog, and acoustic rockwall between the rafters. Also accoustic grade underlay underneath a thick carpet. I never hear the TV downstairs, and I don't the kids playing outside, so it's pretty quiet in here most of the time. :)

edited December 1969

SileneUK said:

Stezza said:

Your bones picked clean by your fancy pigeons or did you invite EvilP around? Nice rugby photo? League in the north?... You/your family? :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The birds certainly pick my wallet dry!

The St George Dragons of 1963 is the photo.. Rugby League, which is the primary sport in the Illawarra after cricket of course ;-)

The photo's are my Dad, a hurricane fighter pilot and his dad, Granddad who was a sniper in WWI, he was also a champion clay pigeon shooter of North of England ...

@dart... I wouldn't mind trying some buffalo... ( Is that what you eat in your parts? )

edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    SileneUK said:

Stezza said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The birds certainly pick my wallet dry!

The St George Dragons of 1963 is the photo.. Rugby League, which is the primary sport in the Illawarra after cricket of course ;-)

The photo's are my Dad, a hurricane fighter pilot and his dad, Granddad who was a sniper in WWI, he was also a champion clay pigeon shooter of North of England ...

@dart... I wouldn't mind trying some buffalo... ( Is that what you eat in your parts? )

I don't know about Dart, but we can get Bison if we want. There's a farm on the other side of the city of Colby (where Colby cheese was invented.) Bison steaks are pretty pricey, but the ground Bison is a bit cheaper. We grow our own beef, chicken, ducks and turkeys, so those are our primary meat sources. We're almost out of beef as the calf that we would have been butchering this fall died suddenly the winter before last, leaving a gap in our beef supply. It's not all bad though. My dad's taking the turkeys to the butcher Friday, and my wife and I are taking eight drakes on Monday.

edited December 1969

Nice Man-Cave, Steve! Love it!!!

SileneUK said:

ETA: I have taken a new step and ordered a chair for my workstation.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CA1DIGA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Just need to sort the footrest now.

Awesome! Can I have one too? I mean... you DID order ME one TOO, didn't you? :ahhh:
    For a cheap, perhaps even temporary, solution, try your local Hardware store, or similar, and see if they have those cheap plastic lawn chair foot rests. Sure, when you see one you'll be inclined to say: "Really Dartan?", but they really help me and Rosie in all sorts of ways. We use them backwards for some chairs, like a barber chair foot stand, or the lounge way for lower chairs.
    edited December 1969

We grow our own beef, chicken, ducks and turkeys, so those are our primary meat sources. We're almost out of beef as the calf that we would have been butchering this fall died suddenly the winter before last, leaving a gap in our beef supply.
    Not to mention the fact that he provided a ton of beef for our "Three Carrarateers" weekend in Madison! ;)
    Then he was kind enough to give me a large pile of stuff for my freezer before we bid each other ado :)

I stay away from Bison/Buffalo. Too majestic a creature for me to eat.

edited November 2014

@ Dart,

Dad, YESSSSSSSSSSSSS have you seen my Big Blue Xraser. Currently not working (an old P4 with W XP), but it's always the best. A beast of pure aluminum rock-solid heavy and full of fans, but nice and quiet. With the write "Thermaltake" lights and, in the dark, is so sexy. :red:

Sorry for OT, Max.

Post edited by Max Turlad on
    edited December 1969

sbilf said:
    @ Dart,

Dad, YESSSSSSSSSSSSS have you seen my Big Blue Xraser. Currently not working (an old P4 with W XP), but it's always the best. A beast of pure aluminum rock-solid heavy and full of fans, but nice and quiet. With the write "Thermaltake" lights and, in the dark, is so sexy. :red:

Sorry for OT, Max.

You can get Carrara to run on XP ??? :gulp: Or maybe you use something else?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Anyways.... for you who use 24" monitors, is going to 27" worth it? Our shop has a 32" TV screen as it's a good tool for showing customers their layouts, etc. I don't work there now, but when I did and used it, I always had to scoot back in my chair to take everything in. It was not meant to be viewed closeup whilst using a keyboard. But is 27" worth a leap....it would be in addition to the current 24" .

Have ordered a new work station and got a footrest. It takes up the same space as my other workstation in the rubbish photo I posted, but no hutch installed in back.... husband is going to put heavy standards/brackets thingies on the wall and we will use shelves.

All early Christmas pressies to ourselves, of course. Solves the shopping problem

Thank you all for the ideas.. this has help immensely. By end of the month I hope to be all set up and will post a new pic.

:cheese: Silene