Carrara Serenity

13»

Comments

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

28" from 24" is like opening up a new world. You won't want to go back.

Oh and all your renders will now have to be at 1080i/p so it will all take longer.

BUT It's soooo worth it. I can now literally feel like I live in those scenes. Fantastic.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

I went from a 19" to a 37 Inch HDMI 1080P TV and what a difference it makes.

I currently use my teenage boy's computer as he is busy on the XBOX in the basemetn all the time and I had custom built it 2 years ago vor hime.
    I am concidering building a new one. I am also keeping an eye out on the govermetn Surplus website for used servers That I may be able to create the render farm with.
    they may be older but as long as I can install the OS I want I am good. THen I will have Xeon Processors for a fraction of the cost.

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited November 2014

Hi Silene,
    I changed one years ago my old 19” to 24" HP (ZR2440) and (in my opinion) it is fantastic but 27" is an other world...

P.S. I'm lookink for a workstation too ( I think wil be an HP model ) what do you think? Thanks

Post edited by pimpy on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

Thanks SciFi.... am going to browse for some in the runup to Christmas as that's when they get antsy and put stuff on sale.

Chickenman... you went to over a 32"??? I can see some doing that if they work from a distance.

Pimpy, I am getting furniture not a new computer if that's what you meant. "Workstation" is one of those ambiguous terms!

That will have to come next year. I can't run Octane and I am a bit fed up that 3 of my USB ports have died. This was a Dell Vostro I bought about 3 years ago. Expected a bit better stamina than this. But I just upgraded the memory not long ago so it will have to wait.

I don't have a big area or a corner, but this is the workstation (furniture) I have ordered....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004KYSMOI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Thanks all for sharing your info!

:-) Silene

edited December 1969

SileneUK said:

Chickenman... you went to over a 32"??? I can see some doing that if they work from a distance.

That will have to come next year. I can't run Octane and I am a bit fed up that 3 of my USB ports have died. This was a Dell Vostro I bought about 3 years ago. Expected a bit better stamina than this. But I just upgraded the memory not long ago so it will have to wait.

I don't have a big area or a corner, but this is the workstation (furniture) I have ordered....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004KYSMOI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Thanks all for sharing your info!

:-) Silene

I find that with the larger screen I use more of the screen and have a better view of multiple programs at once. You do get use to it and wonder how you use to get by with out it. at work I only have 2 22" monitors.
    That desk looks good.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Thirty-seven?!!!
    Me = Wants one (or better yet... two!) :ahhh:

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

I've been using a 27" iMac for nearly two years now, and I hate it those times I have to use something smaller. And now I so want the new retina version (5k display...) Not a snowball in hell's chance, but I can dream!

• Max TurladMax Turlad Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

SileneUK said:

You can get Carrara to run on XP ???

Silene, currently not working I should fix it, but no Carrara may not run. For editing and 3D, you can see in the picture in the middle of my previous post assembled by myself (I7, 16 Gb RAM, SSD, etc.)

@ Pimpy. Have you ever thought to assemble yourself a workstation? Often you can't have what you seek in the pre assembled PC.
    Saluti alla vecchia, cara SIP. ;-)

Max.

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited November 2014

sbilf said:
    SileneUK said:

You can get Carrara to run on XP ???

Silene, currently not working I should fix it, but no Carrara may not run. For editing and 3D, you can see in the picture in the middle of my previous post assembled by myself (I7, 16 Gb RAM, SSD, etc.)

@ Pimpy. Have you ever thought to assemble yourself a workstation? Often you can't have what you seek in the pre assembled PC.
    Saluti alla vecchia, cara SIP. ;-)

Max.

I use Carrara 8 pro (151) on my pc an old cpu intel 6420 2 core 3GB Ram and my OS is Win XP home edition and it work!
    @ Max - Ies I'm looking too for this solution but is a matter of Guarantee. with Hp or other Workstation you have full Guarantee for 3 years...

Post edited by pimpy on
  • Max TurladMax Turlad Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

pimpy said:

I use Carrara 8 pro (151) on my pc an old cpu intel 6420 2 core 3GB Ram and my OS is Win XP home edition and it work!

Glad to hear that. But my old pc is much older than yours which is a 64 bit.

@ Max - Ies I'm looking too for this solution but is a matter of Guarantee. with Hp or other Workstation you have full Guarantee for 3 years...

OK, the same doubt I've had myself, but then I decided to assemble by myself my PC's by choosing the components according to my requirement.

edited December 1969

sbilf said:

pimpy said:

OK, the same doubt I've had myself, but then I decided to assemble by myself my PC's by choosing the components according to my requirement.Right. There's a huge piece of mind that comes with a guaranteed machine. I've always been Low-Tech due to my financial limitations, however, so when I learned how easy it is to assemble and start one up myself, I'll never go back. Like my son, sbilf, says, I can then pick out the exact components for my machine - something that can be impossible to find in one that comes built.
    Still... both ways are great! As long as we can keep ourselves rendering, right? ;)

edited December 1969

I may be able to make the render farm sooner than thought. on the Goverment Surplus website there are 2 pallets of servers with a min bid of 150 CAD. no HDD or Memory but I can buy the memory and some HDD's for relatively cheap.
    300 each For 16 GB of ram per server and HDD are abotu about 300 each as these are older servers. I will use the newer ones and sell the remainder on Kijiji and still have a good render farm. And that would pay for the RAM and HDD's.

edited December 1969

I may be able to make the render farm sooner than thought. on the Goverment Surplus website there are 2 pallets of servers with a min bid of 150 CAD. no HDD or Memory but I can buy the memory and some HDD's for relatively cheap.
    300 each For 16 GB of ram per server and HDD are abotu about 300 each as these are older servers. I will use the newer ones and sell the remainder on Kijiji and still have a good render farm. And that would pay for the RAM and HDD's.
    Brilliant!
    My farm is a single machine (no farm at all) with the least expensive AMD Zambezi eight core of its time (a few years ago). I got the cheapest one and DAZ_Spooky got the most expensive one at the same time. Both of us were very happy with the results! I am amazed at how well it handles renders. Some of my older stuff that I've optimized for my dual core machine now blazes through so fast that I cannot see the render tiles, except for a slight bit of a spree flying across the render window... zing!
    I have 16GB RAM and was planning to increase to the max of my motherboard: 32GB, but I never seem to need all of my 16GB - no bottleneck, no real need for more. I guess that it might give it a performance speed boost to some small degree, more room makes everything happier....
    The big thing with this build, too, is the massive amounts of airflow I've designed in. Very impressed with my solid Antec 33 two. The panel behind the motherboard is also easily removed, just like the opposite side, so it was silly simple to route wires out of the path of air. I've used all slow-moving 120mm fans fro in and out air design, but the case came with a slow 230mm fan on top for exhaust, which is amazingly awesome!

When I built this, I was planning to build another about now in time, and switch to that new one as the main system, and convert the one I have into an eight-core render node. But now I realize that I don't truly need to do that. I'm not letting the extra horsepower make me lazy in scene efficiency and design... so with the help of the Batch Queue, I can get my renders done nearly as fast as I can design them. Well... faster, in most cases. But it would be neat to simply run Carrara on two machines, one for designing my animation work, the other for rendering the results while I work on the other. Hmmmm.... maybe I will build another!

edited December 1969

Brilliant!
    My farm is a single machine (no farm at all) with the least expensive AMD Zambezi eight core of its time (a few years ago). I got the cheapest one and DAZ_Spooky got the most expensive one at the same time. Both of us were very happy with the results! I am amazed at how well it handles renders. Some of my older stuff that I've optimized for my dual core machine now blazes through so fast that I cannot see the render tiles, except for a slight bit of a spree flying across the render window... zing!
    I have 16GB RAM and was planning to increase to the max of my motherboard: 32GB, but I never seem to need all of my 16GB - no bottleneck, no real need for more. I guess that it might give it a performance speed boost to some small degree, more room makes everything happier....
    The big thing with this build, too, is the massive amounts of airflow I've designed in. Very impressed with my solid Antec 33 two. The panel behind the motherboard is also easily removed, just like the opposite side, so it was silly simple to route wires out of the path of air. I've used all slow-moving 120mm fans fro in and out air design, but the case came with a slow 230mm fan on top for exhaust, which is amazingly awesome!

When I built this, I was planning to build another about now in time, and switch to that new one as the main system, and convert the one I have into an eight-core render node. But now I realize that I don't truly need to do that. I'm not letting the extra horsepower make me lazy in scene efficiency and design... so with the help of the Batch Queue, I can get my renders done nearly as fast as I can design them. Well... faster, in most cases. But it would be neat to simply run Carrara on two machines, one for designing my animation work, the other for rendering the results while I work on the other. Hmmmm.... maybe I will build another!

She is going to college next year for 3D animation so if I can get the above Deal then she can render at home and not have to worry about classroom bottlenecks waiting for a machine. In the mean time I can use it with lux render or with carrara's native renderer.

edited December 1969

She is going to college next year for 3D animation so if I can get the above Deal then she can render at home and not have to worry about classroom bottlenecks waiting for a machine. In the mean time I can use it with lux render or with carrara's native renderer.

Oh, absolutely!
    I would love to get my hands on a pallet of used servers! :ahhh:
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

SileneUK said:
    I will say I could not do this at all without a 24" screen... so I worry about laptops but may be forced that way some day.

I will second that Silene! I use two 24" monitors -- well you could argue that I use six but they spread across multiple machines.

Photo pending...but my space (which doubles as my day job "office") isn't nearly as cool as Dart's.

edited December 1969

pimpy said:
    this is my work area where I spend much of my time...

Very nice! I am jealous of the shelving! I am a hardcore and unrepentant bibliophile.

edited December 1969

Kitty wants the desk, kitty gets the desk. If you own a cat, it is you who is being trained. Accept it and it will go easier for you.

Resistance is futile.

Indeed! But Debug has never climbed on to my desks. Now what she has done to the underside of my bed is a different story! These days, she usually claims the love seat in the living room as her own.

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Stezza said:
    Here's my selfie... waiting for Carrara 9 Pro ;-)

heh heh :)
    heh heh heh heh
    shouldnt t he city you are in have disintegrated and become nothing but dust as well?

Boom! On both counts.

Careful though 'wax...Newcastle might fall into the sea one day... ;)

edited December 1969

28" from 24" is like opening up a new world. You won't want to go back.

Amen to that! I'm still at 24" screens for now but I do know the unbridled bliss of a truly huge monitor and screen rez.

One of my former colleagues at Microsoft now runs 10 monitors in cubicle...

edited December 1969

It is not exactly serene - given that I am mixing work with pleasure here and that I have a spectacularly messy, bachelor lifestyle!

As noted in the image, my older personal machine is going to be taken out back and shot (not literally, even though I am in Texas). I have plans for a new dedicated 3D box. Nothing definite yet except for the NVidia GeForce GTX 980 (a very big maybe here, two of those cards).

The main server is my 12-core 64 GB RAM beast. It is that large because I run virtual machines on it for work. Carrara and LightWave love all those cores but I really want to break into GPU rendering and the server sucks badly for that.

office_space2.jpg
    2000 x 1328 - 2M
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    It is not exactly serene - given that I am mixing work with pleasure here and that I have a spectacularly messy, bachelor lifestyle!

As noted in the image, my older personal machine is going to be taken out back and shot (not literally, even though I am in Texas). I have plans for a new dedicated 3D box. Nothing definite yet except for the NVidia GeForce GTX 980 (a very big maybe here, two of those cards).

The main server is my 12-core 64 GB RAM beast. It is that large because I run virtual machines on it for work. Carrara and LightWave love all those cores but I really want to break into GPU rendering and the server sucks badly for that.

I was warned.... nice to have room for those four monitors!!! :bug:

Might have room for two when I get set up... one for Carrara and the other for stuff that distracts me from Carrara!

:P Silene

edited December 1969

SileneUK said:
    I was warned.... nice to have room for those four monitors!!! :bug:

Might have room for two when I get set up... one for Carrara and the other for stuff that distracts me from Carrara!

:P Silene

Two monitors (of suitable size/quality) will be my minimum from now until forever. Anything more than that is icing on the cake.

My problem right now is the top monitors make me crane my neck too much. If the cables were long enough, I would settle for 3 monitors across the top of the desk. I also have to keep a separation between the work system and my own stuff.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    SileneUK said:
    I will say I could not do this at all without a 24" screen... so I worry about laptops but may be forced that way some day.

I will second that Silene! I use two 24" monitors -- well you could argue that I use six but they spread across multiple machines.

Photo pending...but my space (which doubles as my day job "office") isn't nearly as cool as Dart's.I love my work arena... my Serenity! I'm tellin' ya, though... that laptop w/18.4" monitor freaking rocks! I have 3d surround headphones, plus it has 3d surround outputs! Love my Acer Aspire 8735G-6502 with GeForce GT 240 (not integrated, either!) 2GB graphic card!
    Like I said earlier, it used to reside just below the monitor of my office machine. Makes for a fantastic multi-task system - game a little, Carrara a lot, Game a little, Carrara....!!!!

edited December 1969

This isn't directly related to Carrara, but I mentioned it and thought I would show it off. This the cubicle of one of my former colleagues at Microsoft. The screen in the middle is touch-enabled.

This guy works the weekend out of the Issaquah, Washington site.

9_monitors.jpg
    1886 x 483 - 50K
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited December 1969

Where I get most of my work done... my 4 hour daily commute and my 11 inch MacBook Air.

image.jpg
    935 x 698 - 175K
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    This isn't directly related to Carrara, but I mentioned it and thought I would show it off. This the cubicle of one of my former colleagues at Microsoft. The screen in the middle is touch-enabled.

This guy works the weekend out of the Issaquah, Washington site.Ouch! Looks like a lot of fun!

Where I get most of my work done... my 4 hour daily commute and my 11 inch MacBook Air.

That's what I've been doing lately - spending most of my computing time on my laptop. I don't have an Air, though. The ol' Core2Duo 18.4" monster that I bought when I first got Carrara - for running Carrara. I definitely have to move my Serenity machine down here! LOL