Nuts n' Bolts

BarbfmcBarbfmc Posts: 50

I want to change the mat file for a character's pants. How do I do that?

Many thanks,
Barb

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Is this for DAZ Studio, or another software program?

In DAZ Studio, use the Surface Selection Tool (Alt+Shift+M), hover the mouse over the pants, click, and then go to the Surfaces pane. The material for the pants should now be highlighted.

Select the 'Diffuse Color' slider, and at the left, you should see an image of the texture map that is applied. Click on that, and the texture JPG used will be highlighted. Use the Browse selection to go to the actual file.

There are Templates supplied for most items, and they can be found in your My Account > Product Library area.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,151
    edited December 1969

In Poser, with the pants selected and while in the Material Room go to the folder you want to use click the + at the bottom of the library, then choose to save a Material Collection

• BarbfmcBarbfmc Posts: 50
    edited November 2014

barbfmc said:
    I want to change the mat file for a character's pants. How do I do that?

Many thanks,
    Barb

I'm using DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro Edition. But I'm using it with an older character - Malika from Nursoda. I created new clothes from the template and now I want to apply those textures to the pants object file. I need to be able to browse to the directory the texture /material is in and I don't know how to do that in this version of DS.

Barb

Post edited by Barbfmc on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,151
    edited December 1969

Ah, OK - to do that you need to use the Surfaces pane. Select the surface you want to change, from the list in the Surface pane or using the Surface Selection Tool, then click the square to the left of the Diffuse colour slider (if you hover over the right place it will pop up a preview of the current texture, if any) and from the menu select Browse, then select your texture. Make any other needed changes and then save a materials preset as described above. It's a good idea to have your images in \Runtime\Textures\Some folder in one of your content directories before applying them - that way the preset wills tore only the location within the content folder, which will be more robust if you later move to another machine or if you wish to share the texture set with others.

• BarbfmcBarbfmc Posts: 50
    edited December 1969

Ah, OK - to do that you need to use the Surfaces pane. Select the surface you want to change, from the list in the Surface pane or using the Surface Selection Tool, then click the square to the left of the Diffuse colour slider (if you hover over the right place it will pop up a preview of the current texture, if any) and from the menu select Browse, then select your texture. Make any other needed changes and then save a materials preset as described above. It's a good idea to have your images in \Runtime\Textures\Some folder in one of your content directories before applying them - that way the preset wills tore only the location within the content folder, which will be more robust if you later move to another machine or if you wish to share the texture set with others.

Thanks so much. Perfect!
    Barb