Seamless Backdrop for Bryce

Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
edited November 2014 in Bryce Discussion

Good morning, all.

I've created a seamless backdrop for Bryce as shown below and it's available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8b07robf7j5jud5/SeamlessBackdrop.zip?dl=0

The zip file contains a Bryce 7 scene so you can see what settings I used, as well as a Bryce object (obp) file which you can import into your Bryce presets. I know not everyone has Bryce 7, but I can't figure out how to save scene files for an older version. There are no restrictions for you, just enjoy it. :) If you have any questions or would like the actual model, let me know and I'll make it available.

Cheers!

Art

EDIT: With special thanks to David Brinnen for assisting with answering questions. :)

Backdrop.jpg
800 x 800 - 48K
Post edited by Fencepost52 on

Comments

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited December 1969

very nice, thanks for this :)

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045
    edited December 1969

Thanks for sharing.

I tried a quick experiment, probably not the way it is supposed to be used, and tried one of my own pictures on it as a texture and it looked good. The only thing I found is that it didn't pick up any shadow from the two objects but I could sink them into the image which meant it textured properly so I don't know why it didn't pick up any shadows :)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,150
    edited November 2014

@Art - thank you for sharing. If may come in handy.

@Sandy - the shadows are quite bright, difficult to see. Set ambiance to 0 then you'll see them better. Additionally, there is quite some Sky Dome light that brightens up the shadows. Sky Dome is a radial in the zenith that does not cast shadows and its light passes through all objects. I have it always black for that reason.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited December 1969

Wow, very kind of you thank you! I've been wanting a prop like this for ages. If there's ever a Bryce update would be nice to have this included in the prop gallery:)

edited December 1969

Horo

Thanks for the information. I didn't spend a lot of time with it as I was just interested to see how a picture would work on it.

edited December 1969

I went back to this and loaded up my picture and my 'hiker' and the shadows worked first time for some reason :)

I didn't mess about with it too much just added an HDRI using the default sky and moving and colouring the sun a little. Makes it a lot easier using an image for a background when you get shadows on the 'ground' rather than having to find a way to fake it :)

Loch Leven from Glencoe Village

hiker-loch-leven-2.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 278K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited November 2014

You're very welcome, everyone! Glad you're able to use it. Nice render, Sandy! Looks great!

Post edited by Fencepost52 on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,150
    edited December 1969

@Sandy - that looks great. Just the foreground gets a bit blurred but lets call it DOF.

edited December 1969

fencepost52

Thank you.

Horo

I noticed that. It looks like there is a very strong wind blowing from the viewer to the hiker :-)

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,023
    edited December 1969

Fencepost - thanks for the file :)

Fishtales -nice scene, it does look a bit windy in the foreground.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@fencepost: Thanks for that file.

@Sandy: Nice image.